+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tony

Yes | No

Vehicle Theft Registration?

I recently received my receipt of deposit at Desert BMW of Las Vegas. Having never bought a new car before, this process is all somewhat new to me. On this form were intemized charges for the following:

Vehicle Theft Regristration = 195.00

NV State, Documentation & Title Fee = 399.50

Can I decline on the first one, whatever it is (lowjack)?
    And since I reside in CA, would the above NV charges apply? I know CA will want something from me as well.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. My contact at Desert won't be back in the office until later in the week. I think he is out racing these babies at Sear's Point :)

Tony

David Scott

Yes | No

Re: Vehicle Theft Registration?

Sounds to me like an aggravated case of "additional dealer profit." I assume Desert MINI/BMW is charging you MSRP for the vehicle, but tacking on the extra charges in a blatant attempt to make more money! Can you find another dealer in your area that isn't doing this?

Jim

Yes | No

Don't go for the vehicle theft registration. It is little more than window etching. They can't make you buy it.

miataowner

Yes | No

I contacted the Las Vegas Mini dealership, I'm assuming it was Desert, and they indicated that they will be selling for MSRP, but adding extras to raise the price. The salesman gave me the old line, that they do not make any money at MSRP, and they need to add the extras inorder to make money. Typical car salesman BS! I would be extremely careful with them, and get everything in writing and question everything. In addition, they might flat out lie about some of the "necessary" charges.

Tony

Yes | No

Thank you for this reply and the other you replied to a couple days ago. Curious to know who you spoke with there. I've been corresponding with John Christenson. He has said MSRP a couple times (back in July and again last week), but the paperwork he sent me did not say such. I need to wait for him to return to get this ironed-out. Would you happen to know what these add-ons are and there cost? I'm in the top 10 there now, but I need to feel good about this transaction! I do appreciate your time!

Tony

Yes | No

Probably like many of us, I got on several such list (9) - for me back in early July of last year. I could only get MSRP commitments from 2 (Vegas and East Bay MINI in Pleaston). I am inquiring now if East Bay will be doing these mandatory add-ons? Since my best placement was in Vegas, I've had been anticipating going with them. I was somewhere in the top 50 with East Bay - which is much closer to where I live in the Bay Area...

Thanks for responding.

Tony

Yes | No

Thanks Jim. I will stand firm there! Since I will be an out-of-stater (CA not NV), I shouln't have to pay those NV charges - right? Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Miata owner

Yes | No

Not sure who I talked to at the Vegas dealership (Mini salesperson/manager), but I also talked to the Phoenix dealership and both Vegas, and Phoenix, indicated that they would be charging MSRP. I think they probably would both charge higher, but I'm guessing the BMW HQ is frowning on charging more than MSRP. The phoenix dealership, said the company policy is MSRP, so BMW HQ may be threatening dealers who charge more than MSRP. Possible loss of Mini dealership for those who charge above MSRP? In both cases, the salesman indicated that the dealership would be adding aftermarket stuff, CD changer, non-standard Alloy wheels, spoilers, fabric protection packages, additional rustproofing, etc... (whatever they can get away with) and charging the customer for these items. I did not pursue doing business with these dealerships. I did not ask if you can get a Mini without these additions. I'm assuming they will play the game, of adding aftermarket stuff, and if you don't want it, they'll go to the next person on the list, etc... So even if you are high on the list, but want a stock mini, then you may have to wait a long time (oh sorry the rustproofing and fabric protection is already done, can't delete it). In general, I will not do business with people like this. I do not want any non-stock mini accessories. I also do not want the dealership sticker on my car. Why spoil the car with dealer advertising. I paid MSRP for my PT cruiser (after I reminded the dealer and Chrysler regional manager about Chrysler price protection policy, dealer had conviently forgot), and also specified that the dealership does not put any stickers, or ID badges on the car. I suggest you get everything in writing and be extremely careful. It may also be worthwhile if you contact the MINI/BMW region manager.

Miata owner

Yes | No

Watch out for additional pinstriping!

Another Steve

Yes | No

I'm skeptical of this vehicle theft registration stuff. Could be the $19- (yes, nineteen dollars) window etching scam.
    Check out this link below to dealer scams. Educational reading.

Tony

Yes | No

Wow! Thanks. This sort of crap is taking the fun out of this process!

miniqueen

Yes | No

I think they charged you for Vice Script. It's numbers that are etched on the windows. If the car gets stolen and not recovered, Vice script will give you x amount of dollars towards a purchase of a new car at the original dealership. That ususally costs about $200. Lojack is about $500.

Ralphie

Yes | No

I also have a deposit with John Christensen (24th) and he told me the same thing. Just have to wait and see how things turn out. Hopefully it won't be to Bad! All I want For Christmas is A RED MINI with a compass in the dash.

Another Steve

Yes | No

Etching the windows with the VIN will save you about $6-/year on your car insurance. AAA will do it for about $25-. You can buy an etching device at Sears for about $20- and do it yourself. Why pay to have this on the glass when it's already on the dash, the door jambs, the trunk lid, the engine block, etc.? Do not allow the dealer to scam you with this b.s. It's a blatant rip-off.
    Also, check with your state dept. of motor vehicles to see what the costs are to "document" a new car and costs for the title. Those true costs are what the dealer should be charging you. They make enough $$ just selling at MSRP. Also, don't go for the "dealer prep" ruse. That is paid by the factory. Look real close at the fine print on the msrp sticker, it'll show this is included. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against anyone making a living, I just expect them to make it honestly and honorably.

eric

Yes | No

Especially if you're in Ca, I think East Bay MINI is the way to go.
    Jarid is great--very helpful.

Ronn S

Yes | No

Tony, email me regarding Las Vegas

Tony, I am also in CA and planning to do business with John Chrisyianson and would like to compare notes. I will call NV DMV and let you know what I find. I tried to email you, but it didn't go through.

LindaG

Yes | No

Re: Tony, email me regarding Las Vegas

Please keep me informed as well. I have been on hold with the NV DMV all morning.

LindaG

Yes | No

Please keep me informed as well. I have been on hold with the NV DMV all morning.

LindaG

Yes | No

I just got off the phone with the Nevada DMV. She said that the NV State, Documentation, & Title of $399.50 is average for NV and she has seen it as high as $800. She thinks it is ridiculous as it takes less than 20 minutes to do the work, but even if you live in CA and will be registering it there, this has to be done. So that charge is "normal".

Regarding the vehicle theft registration, she suggested calling John up and talking to him and the enforcement division of compliance can be called out to deal with that.

Meanwhile, I am not positive that these charges are not on a standardized form and always there until I talk to John. He has been so nice on the phone and I will be very disappointed if he is adding on stuff.

Tony

Yes | No

Thank you Linda. John has been so nice with me also. I was/am still looking forward to doing business with him! I just need to get the scoop on these possible add-ons...

I expect or hope for John to call me by week's end. I just sent Ron (the above poster who wanted to email me) - an email. Let me know if you want to join us in our communications...

Thanks again.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information