+ Reply to Thread
    SteveO

Yes | No

Cooper S battery location and compact spare

Anyone know where the battery is located in the Cooper S? Is it really in back where the spare is in the Cooper? Can I mount the compact spare on a Cooper S?

I plan on replacing the run flats with real wheels and tires when its time for replacement (or possibly even earlier) so I'll have to carry the donut spare. Of course, a battery in the middle of the spare location makes that impossible.

Steve

Mister2

Yes | No

Re: Cooper S battery location and compact spare

yeah, you've only got a few options for mounting a spare. use up your trunk space, mount it on the roof on a rack, or mount in on the back, like some small SUV's do (CR-V, RAV-4). the last two would probably make a statement if nothing else.

StanS

Yes | No

Yes the battery is in the boot where the donut spare goes on the Cooper. What is the reason you want to replace the run flat tiers?

SteveO

Yes | No

I'm sure the run flats are fine daily driver performers, I want something a little better on the street during the summer. Also, I usually run winter tires from Dec to Mar. Either way, I'll need to carry a spare.

I kind of like Mister2's idea of the SUV-mocking rear mounted spare although the reality of an easily stolen/vadalized exterior wheel scares me.

Steve

Rick Kim official member of the CRS club
    Member No: Rick Kim official member of the CRS club's Avatar

Yes | No

same reason for me too as well as

it will be easier for some mom and pop shop out in the middle of no where to change the regular tires then the run flats. which are a major pain in the as$ to change.

Rick Kim member of CRS Club
    '00 Dakar Duck CRS Edition

StanS

Yes | No

I'm interested in what will be "better." I think the stiff side wall of the run flats will be great for cornering. From all the reviews, the MINI is one of the best handling cars out there out of the box. Unless you are looking for a "smoother" ride.

Plus, there are a number of very high performance cars that come with run-flats as standard equipment.

StanS

Yes | No

Re: same reason for me too as well as

I agree. I live near NYC and have 4 MINI dealers within 50 miles. If I was in the middle of nowhere, I might have some hesitancy about the run flat tires. But it would have to be "really" in the middle of nowhere. Otherwise I would use the run-flats as intended and get the car to the dealer or qualified repair shop. I like the fact that my wife will never have to change a tire in the rain or the dark.

dennis

Yes | No

Re: Run flats and Roadside Assistance

I recall seeing a toll free number in the boot area of the Mini, and I believe that number is there for a reason: when you buy a Mini, you are covered for roadside assistance for the standard warranty period. Of course,how much of a confidence builder that is when you're hundreds of miles from a Mini dealer is something else when you have to repair those run flats :-(.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information