+ Reply to Thread
    kromex

Yes | No

About that 250hp on my 330i 5-speed

I had my co-worker dyno his car today on the same dyno I had mine tested on. He currently has a Dinan CAI, Autothority software download, and B&B Tri-flow exhaust on his 330ci 5-speed. This being said, the Dinan CAI claims 11hp, the Autothority software claims 14hp, and the B&B triflo exhaust claims 8hp. With the addition of these modifications his car should be producing 247HP if these mods are actually working as they claim. Today, when we dynoed his car at 5:00pm, he got 208.4HP at the wheels and 201ft-lbs of torque. I got 208.2HP at the wheels and 205.7ft-lbs of torque. I dynoed my car at 1:00am in the morning but this shouldn't matter as the dyno's computer adjusts the numbers according to temperature/barometric pressure. And plus, I had my A/C running when I dynoed my car. So, this being said, either I'm actually getting around 245-250HP at the crank or his mods don't work and the numbers he's getting is only equal to 225HP like a stock 330i should be producing.

kromex

Yes | No

Mistake, he should be getting 258hp at the crank

Sooty Pooh!

Yes | No

Just stick with power at wheels (c:

It's a measurement that's confirmed.

So how much power you got at wheels?

Sooty Pooh!

HW

Yes | No

I don't think the numbers add up like that. (m)

The combination off all them together is not the sum of the individual component's claims. Also there output tolerances from the engines. The output tolerance is in the range of -1% to +10%. So one can have a 330 with 222HP to 248HP. It's the luck of the draw unless you belong to the factory sponsored race teams.

Bill97Z

Yes | No

I agree...whatever HP claims are made--->

I like to use 1/3rd to 1/2 of those values for real life estimates. I put a cold air induction on my Z28 (+20 hp), a borla exhuast (+14 HP), and a larger throttle body + airfoil (+7 HP), so I should of been running 285 + 20+14+10 = 330 HP. From my races and 1/4 mile times, I was running about 310 HP.....when the mods are put together they loose effectivness.......

I had my co-worker dyno his car today on the same dyno I had mine tested on. He currently has a Dinan CAI, Autothority software download, and B&B Tri-flow exhaust on his 330ci 5-speed. This being said, the Dinan CAI claims 11hp, the Autothority software claims 14hp, and the B&B triflo exhaust claims 8hp. With the addition of these modifications his car should be producing 247HP if these mods are actually working as they claim. Today, when we dynoed his car at 5:00pm, he got 208.4HP at the wheels and 201ft-lbs of torque. I got 208.2HP at the wheels and 205.7ft-lbs of torque. I dynoed my car at 1:00am in the morning but this shouldn't matter as the dyno's computer adjusts the numbers according to temperature/barometric pressure. And plus, I had my A/C running when I dynoed my car. So, this being said, either I'm actually getting around 245-250HP at the crank or his mods don't work and the numbers he's getting is only equal to 225HP like a stock 330i should be producing.

Sooty Pooh!

Yes | No

I agree with you there (m)

You also only get the maximum 225 bhp when you use 28 octane fuel.

Sooty Pooh!

Karl G wants 19 M3 wheels
    Member No: Karl G wants 19 M3 wheels's Avatar

Yes | No

28 octane?

be different in Aussi land -HW
    Member No: be different in Aussi land -HW's Avatar

Yes | No

I was wondering about that too, the measures must

kromex

Yes | No

We got the same HP at the wheels

I got 208hp at the wheels, he got 208hp at the wheels with all his mods. I actually had more torque than he did.

Chris Blessing

Yes | No

this is absolutely ludicrous... (yes, more)

Here's the deal. A mod is a mod, right? Sure, it can be worth some power, usually NOT as much as the manufacturer claims though. Here's the caveat: that power is the MAX power that the mod will produce. And that power can occur at different point(s) along the dyno graph, am I wrong?

That being said, you'd have to have your CAI, ecu software, and exhaust all making their max power AT DIRECTLY THE SAME POINT on the dyno graph. This, my friend, just ain't happenin. And while yes, these mods will generally increase the height of the curve overall, the max point is what your numbers represent. If you had dyno'd the car prior to each mod, we could see all that.

Sounds to me like you've got 1 car with mods that's not exactly performing what you're expecting (probably because of the deceptive HP claims from the manufacturers of the mods AS WELL AS the fact that no 2 cars are the same).

It also sounds like BMW has one hell of an efficient transmission! I'm impressed by that, definitely.

Brickk

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Blessing View Post
    Here's the deal. A mod is a mod, right? Sure, it can be worth some power, usually NOT as much as the manufacturer claims though. Here's the caveat: that power is the MAX power that the mod will produce. And that power can occur at different point(s) along the dyno graph, am I wrong?

That being said, you'd have to have your CAI, ecu software, and exhaust all making their max power AT DIRECTLY THE SAME POINT on the dyno graph. This, my friend, just ain't happenin. And while yes, these mods will generally increase the height of the curve overall, the max point is what your numbers represent. If you had dyno'd the car prior to each mod, we could see all that.

Sounds to me like you've got 1 car with mods that's not exactly performing what you're expecting (probably because of the deceptive HP claims from the manufacturers of the mods AS WELL AS the fact that no 2 cars are the same).

It also sounds like BMW has one hell of an efficient transmission! I'm impressed by that, definitely.

BMW's run a dual mass flywheel which was specifically designed to give before any of the transmisson does. this being said its a great system but unfortunately WAY to heavy for any type of track or performance car. The flywheel alone can be over 20 pounds in some models!
    If your freind wants more torque/Power I suggest adding an aluminum flywheel and race clutch I just did in my 330 and its very noticable off the line!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 142.47.212.2

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information