+ Reply to Thread
    The hamburglar

Yes | No

How do I avoid burning out or abusing the clutch?

This is a question for a manual transmission beginner like me.

ROBBLE ROBBLE

jerseyM3

Yes | No

There are couple of things you can do

Keep the gas at a steady rpm, maybe 1200, as you let the clutch out from a standing stop. Too high rpm will lead to clutch wear and burnouts. (one day you will enjoy this). Actually, i would rather burn out than stall the car. That jerky stuff when you stall can't be all that good for the car.

Keep the sport mode off!!

When on a hill, don't be afraid to use the e-brake to hold you until the clutch grabs. That will save a few embarassing moments.

The M3 is a pretty good car to learn on as long as you keep the revs down.

And whatever you do, don't let Grimace drive your car.

Bcar

Yes | No

MOST important thing, NEVER EVER floor it without

letting the clutch out all the way. Thats the biggest thing.

Registered Member
    Member No: 34873 2002M3Drew is an unknown quantity at this point 2002M3Drew's Avatar

Yes | No

What??? Disagree...

Hate to disagree, but...

First off, the Sport Mode will do nothing whatsoever to wear your clutch prematurely. Enjoy the car.

I also disagree with the statement that the M3 is an easy car to learn on...I've driven sticks all my driving life...I've never owned an automatic. The M3 has a heavy duty clutch, and it is sensitive. If you are experienced driving a manual, you will adapt to the feel quickly...if you are not, if may take you a while.

The most important things in "not abusing a clutch" is to drive smoothly. Concentrate in make smooth gear changes...feel for the spot where the clutch "takes up" and try to make each gear change, up or down, smooth. Speed is not the issue here...speed will come with experience.

When you are shifting, remember that most clutch wear comes from the "friction zone," that is, the space between the clutch being fully depressed and fully out. The idea is to make a gear change, and then get off the pedal. "Riding" the clutch, where you drive along with your foot resting on the clutch, is absolutely verboten! Don't do it! Use the dead pedal. Also, using the "friction zone" to keep the car stopped on a hill is abusive as well. Instead, keep the car in first, clutch pedal all the way in, foot on brake. When you go to start, either simply unbrake, engage and go, or, use the handbrake (finger on the button) to hold the car in place), and then engage and go.

Finally, avoid hard launches using high rpms with a lot of clutch slip or clutch drop. When accelerating, you should engage smoothly (and quickly when you get the hang of it) and get off the clutch...then you can get on the power all you want...the car is in gear. Nevertheless, I can't stress enough the importance of being smooth on your inputs (this goes for brakes, acceleration, and steering as well)...you will become a smoother, faster, and less "abusive" driver!

jerseyM3

Yes | No

What I meant was sport mode may make it

more difficult for a beginner to have smooth launches since the hair-trigger gas pedal may induce unwanted higher rpm's at launch.

sorry i was not clear.

gtobynj

Yes | No

I disagree too...

For someone learning the clutch I would RECOMMEND that sport mode not be used, as the throttle is then more sensitive to inputs than in regular mode and will make it easier to cause the car to lurch forward or do bunnyhops.

However, what I would say is MOST important, is that during the learning period choose one mode and STICK to it. The way you balance the clutch and feather the throttle as you pull away in each mode is different, given the change in the throttle mapping, which will make it harder for a stick convert to pick up as the feeling differs in each mode.

Finally, I would advise going somewhere quite - like an office parking lot at the weekend and learning clutch control. Take a friend and learn to use the clutch to keep the car balanced at walking speed - the power is very low, so wear on the clutch will be negligable, but you will learn how it feels and what inputs are required to maintain a very slow speed. Also use any inclines there are to practice hill starts where you don't have the stress of other cars around that you fear rolling into, or annoying if you stall!

Good luck

Registered Member
    Member No: 34873 2002M3Drew is an unknown quantity at this point 2002M3Drew's Avatar

Yes | No

Agree - Where in NJ? Bedminster here

Registered Member

Yes | No

Oops! Left the pseudonym on!

GRIMACE

Yes | No

I Disagree too!

I'll drive his car, your car, and anyone else's car I please! Just ask the Hamburgler! Yous askin for a world of hurt.

jerseyM3

Yes | No

LOL!!!

jerseyM3

Yes | No

You just blew your cover! I'm in Morris Co.

The hamburglar

Yes | No

Bergen County (Southern part, by Hudson)

Registered Member

Yes | No

Had to use it for a "big butt" joke!

Unregistered

Yes | No

help :) ..

Just reading your comments... Iv only just passed my test and think im burning my clutch at hill stops or traffic light on slight hill ECT.. (steam or smoke from right side of bonnet) this has happens a few times now ... Is that at the friction point you guys are talking about?? Xx
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 213.205.230.83

Registered Member
    Member No: 6785 gusser is an unknown quantity at this point gusser's Avatar

Yes | No
    It's not rocket science. There's no mystery to the clutch. Just drive the car and you'll get over your clutch issue in a very short period of time. It's just a car. :)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 24.45.219.114

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information