+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 20008 VM3 is an unknown quantity at this point VM3's Avatar

Yes | No

dumb question..is it possible to have both SMG and

was talking with my friend. anyway...here is the question.
    I know that SMG is also a manual car (so don\'t flame me pls :) ), but what i want to know... is it possible to have the stick shift and also smg on the side or something. Or using same stick, but add more direction to operate smg. I\'m asking regard to the future possibility.
    technically is it impossible nor not? (since both of them have the same tranny and stuffs, i think it is possible (but i don\'t know jack abour smg))

Thank guys

V

Life is a_bitch, so_**** it.

'02 M3, 6Spd
    Boston, MA

Registered Member
    Member No: 38412 WFBMWM3 is an unknown quantity at this point WFBMWM3's Avatar

Yes | No

Your question isn't dumb. As you said, SMG is

a manual. The clutch is activated electro/hydraulically. That aspect is fairly automatic.
    The transmission you describe does not exist, but there are sequential racing transmissions that have a manual (pedal) clutch.
    These can be paddles or levers. The manual clutch in these is used when launching and stopping the car.
    Gear changes are handled similar to SMG in that the clutch action is automatic when the lever or paddle is operated.
    That's as close that I know to what you're asking. Not aware of any fully independent manual / smg type system.
    Would probably be an electro/mechanical/hydraulic mess.
    Hope I understood you question. :)

Ed

Yes | No

I believe that Prodrive, the guys who did the M3

rally car and then moved on to Subaru, developed a system alon those lines a good few years ago. The gearbox and engine were electronically managed but the shift shift lever was still in place and could be used if the system broke down. I think it was used in the early Impreza Grp A cars.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information