+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

ST

Yes | No

SkipBarber racing school. Opinions needed.

I am tempted to attend the skipbarber's 3-day racing school. Anybody who has done this before? Opinions? The class is $3495 though, is it worth it?

101bm

Yes | No

What eles would you do with a measly 3500?

Zipster

Yes | No

Re: SkipBarber racing school. Opinions needed.

I attended the 3-day racing school at Laguna Seca early May. It is not a really a racing school but a driving school in their Formula Dodges. Out of the three days, we did two, 20-minute sessions that had anything to do with racing - one was practice starts and the other was simulated passing going into a turn. Pretty lame.

I found shifting their cars to be particularly troublesome. They aren't synchro mesh, and although I can double clutch well on my Z3, those transmissions were a bear to shift. All depends on how recently your transmission was rebuilt.

I did improve my skills, however. For example, the exercise doing threshold braking going into Turn 2 was great. I never thought I could carry as much speed into the turn as they got me to. Their feedback was very good.

Classroom - a little more than you get at a Club driving school.

All in all, probably not worth quite the full $3,500, but it is a great 3-day experience.

Gregor

Yes | No

Re: Worked for Me.

I suppose it depends on where you are coming from. I have a couple of buddies who had no prior track experience, and they hated it. They had a couple of spins and scared themselves. From that point forward, they were just hanging on and pretty much in the way.

I came to the school from BMWCCA Intermediate/Experienced Run Group, and my objectives were to get focused on my braking and corner exit. I got a lot of track time in a well prepared little race car, and came away from the class far quicker than when I arrived. And, if you want your SCCA Regional, it is a quick way to get the qualifications done.

I found the instructors highly qualified and the cars well prepared. The classroom section is not brilliant, but where else can you get 3 days to really focus on your driving. I think it was money well spent.

Also, got an offer to drive this fall for a Canadian Team at an Event up in Canada, and I don't think I would have gotten the offer without an accredited Race School in my Background.

Greg Miller
    02 M Coupe
    Connecticut

Erik Karlson

Yes | No

Just do a cca drivers school

If you have a half decient car it will be a blast! I did my first one at summit point and it was the best time I ever had.

93 325is

Yes | No

Re: Go to Jim Russell.

I did the course at Infineon Raceway (Sears Point) and there was a great deal of track time....I was told by someone who did both that it was more track time than Skip Barber.

Austin

Yes | No

Re: SkipBarber racing school. Opinions needed.

Go through a couple BMWCCA schools or the NASA HPDE program. You'll get more out of it and it costs less. Then do an SCCA licensing school.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information