+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 77466 GSXR70 is an unknown quantity at this point GSXR70's Avatar

Yes | No

1995 BMW 740i Speaker Upgrade Sizes

Hi, I have a 1995 BMW 740i, and I wanted to uprgrade all of my speakers. I have DSP in the car so what sizes speakers do i need. Can you please list the number of speakers the car has and size of every speaker in the car? Thank you; my car is being delivered next week, so I can not actually physically look at it, that is why I am asking. Thanks again.

Registered Member
    Member No: 45321 rcestero is an unknown quantity at this point rcestero's Avatar

Yes | No

Actually, they are all 5.25", xcept for the tweets

which are 1" or so I believe. Every door has one 5.25" woof/mid (4), every door has one 1" tweeter (4), there are 4 5.25" woofs on the rear deck (4) and I'm missing 2 more but I can't think of where they are - kick panels or dash, not sure...

Anyway, this gives you an idea...

L8r,
    Roy C.

GSXR70

Yes | No

Re: Actually, they are all 5.25

So I need to buy 4 5.25" speakers, 4 1" tweeters and that is it?:? There are 2 more speaklers? What is on the rear deck? So let me get this straight, 2 5.25" speakers in the front doors, and 2 5.25" speakers in the rear doors, and 4 1" tweeters in all the doors? Right? Thanks

Registered Member
    Member No: 45321 rcestero is an unknown quantity at this point rcestero's Avatar

Yes | No

They are all component speakers so buying coaxials will not be the same. I would recommend opening the door panels once you get the car and actually doing a visual so you get a better idea as to what to do next. There are issues of mounting depth, and speaker height that you need to look at. You might want to wait for some of the other guys that actually got this to work, to chime in. I bought two sets of component speakers (8) and I could not get the woofs to fit, the magnet was too big around and too deep.

Anyway, good luck,
    Roy C.

(long, bring a beverage) CG
    Member No: (long, bring a beverage) CG's Avatar

Yes | No

There are 14 speakers in the DSP system - bad amp

I'm also looking at upgrading my system, and have come to the following conclusions; this is my humble opinion of course.

Although you could change the speakers, 14 in all for DSP, 10 for non-DSP (see below) I would be careful. Upgrading speakers to better quality will have two results. First, to get better sounding speakers you'll need to spend a considerable amount to better the quality that is already there. i.e. Focal or other high end brand. Typically, these better quality speakers are less efficient and require a high output amp. Hence the second problem, the current amp is inadequate and will have to push too hard, therefore crummy sound from the amp.

IMO, the best sound improvement for the money, for these cars is to replace the amp, upgrade the sub-woofers and redo a bit of the cross over-ing to the door speakers. The e38's current setup, the speakers are pretty good, the front end; radio, CD changer are also of good quality. The amp is the weakest link in the system IMO.

Speakers and location:

The front doors have a three way system. Each front door has three speakers as follows: 1) 5.25" Mid-Bass; 1) mid-range; and 1) tweeter. The front mid-range and tweeter are in the same opening, at the top, forward part of the door. So, the front doors have 6 speakers total.

The rear doors are a two-way setup. The same 5.25" mid-bass; and 1) tweeter. Total rear door spks are 4. All 4 doors have a total of 10 speakers (6+4).

If your E38 has DSP, the remaining 4 speakers are subwoofers mounted in the rear deck. (6 front doors + 4 rear doors + 4 rear deck = 14 speakers).

The setup I'm looking at is
    - a 5 channel amp
    - additional subs in the trunk (my '96 doesn't have DSP, so no subs in the rear deck)
    - passive cross-overs to the door speakers

Later, I may consider a DVD/CD/NAV front end with a pop-up monitor in the cassette slot, but I want to keep the steering wheel controls. Requires a bit more research.

Anyway good luck and hope this helps. Let us know how it turns out.

CG
    1996 Sorrent Blue 740iL
    with 2001 facelift, lowered and e65 19 wheels

UniversalViva

Yes | No

W/ DSP, What size and how many subs???

I thought the Subs were 6x9, or is that only for the M5?
    Do we really have 4 subs in the rear deck w/ DSP???

Registered Member

Yes | No

See the thing is that I have already purchased everything for my sound system except for the speakers. I will be doing MB Quart all around. I was looking at either last years Q-series line, or this years Premium line for the front, and refrence line for the back speakers. I have an Xtant A4004T 400 Watt amp for my speakers, which I will be using to power all of the speakers in the front of the car. I will then use the preamp from the Pioneer AVH-P6500DVD 6.5" Wide LCD/DVD/MP3 Receiver to power all of my rear speakers. While I use my Hifonics Zeus ZX6000 amp for my 2 JL Audio 12W3v2's in a prowedge with a Directed Audio 1.2 farad capactior. Please help me!!!! I want my sound sytem to be ready to be put in when i get the car this WEdsneday! Thanks

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: 1995 BMW 740i Speaker Upgrade Sizes

See the thing is that I have already purchased everything for my sound system except for the speakers. I will be doing MB Quart all around. I was looking at either last years Q-series line, or this years Premium line for the front, and refrence line for the back speakers. I have an Xtant A4004T 400 Watt amp for my speakers, which I will be using to power all of the speakers in the front of the car. I will then use the preamp from the Pioneer AVH-P6500DVD 6.5" Wide LCD/DVD/MP3 Receiver to power all of my rear speakers. While I use my Hifonics Zeus ZX6000 amp for my 2 JL Audio 12W3v2's in a prowedge with a Directed Audio 1.2 farad capactior. Please help me!!!! I want my sound sytem to be ready to be put in when i get the car this WEdsneday! Thanks

Yes | No

I believe they're 5.25" and yes 4 of them

Yes | No

All mid-bass and bass are 5.25, tweeter &mids????

Sorry, don't know the exact size of the tweeters and midranges? Try searching the web for the proper fit.

One last suggestion. Try installing all your electronics first and see how it sounds. The JLs in the wedge will cover you on the bass nicely. I think you'll be suprised by the qualiy of sound from the stock door spks. If not, you can always upgrade those later.

Good luck.

Registered Member
    Member No: 87575 jyep is an unknown quantity at this point jyep's Avatar

Yes | No

Speaker sizes

The following is information from a previous post; hope this helps....

Speakers and location:

The front doors have a three way system. Each front door has three speakers as follows: 1) 5.25" Mid-Bass; 1) mid-range; and 1) tweeter. The front mid-range and tweeter are in the same opening, at the top, forward part of the door. So, the front doors have 6 speakers total.

The rear doors are a two-way setup. The same 5.25" mid-bass; and 1) tweeter. Total rear door spks are 4. All 4 doors have a total of 10 speakers (6+4).

If your E38 has DSP, the remaining 4 speakers are subwoofers mounted in the rear deck. (6 front doors + 4 rear doors + 4 rear deck = 14 speakers).

Yes | No

Craig

What is DSP and how can I know if I have it ?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 98.192.94.49

Registered Member
    Member No: 58142 ROYinGA is an unknown quantity at this point ROYinGA's Avatar

Yes | No
    I think it is Digital Sound Processor. Do you have speakers in the rear window deck? If so DSP. Also a separate amp in the left trunk and a small screen in the center dash console.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 66.32.174.41

Polcat

Yes | No

Speaker Sizes Mid Bass Woofers

They are not 5.25 inches, they are metric per the speaker tech that rebuilt my 4 rear deck speakers on my 2001 740i.
    Not sure of exact size.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 108.66.133.136

Dville

Yes | No

Options

http://e38.weebly.com/speakers.html
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 108.162.210.201

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information