+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered Member
    Member No: 13945 topaztony is an unknown quantity at this point topaztony's Avatar

Yes | No

How do I know if car has sports package?

I am looking for a 2001 740i with sports package. Other than the wheels, which could have been replaced, how can I tell if the car has the sports package? I know the 740iL will have the dynamic suspension(?), but what are the telltale signs of the sports package on the 740i? Also, are the comfort seats part of the sports package? Thanks

Jeff OTMG

Yes | No

Re: How do I know if car has sports package?

1. Look at the seats. There will be an adjustable thigh support on a real Sport.
    2. On the 2001 you are looking at there will be a 3 spoke wheel.
    3. The StepTronic transmission. There is no button on the console. There is a 'D'rive mode, then by pulling the shifter to the left you will be in 'S'port mode. From 'S'port mode you can push or pull the shifter and it will change to 'M'anual and show what gear you are in.

Registered Member
    Member No: 56335 ibew595 is an unknown quantity at this point ibew595's Avatar

Yes | No

This is what I can remember:
    visually:
    1. 18" wheels
    2. Blacked out trim around glass, bumpers and doors
    3. Sure fire way to tell is look at the automatic transmission selector. I will only have,(I think), P,N,D,R and a + and - to the left. It will not have 1,2,3,4.
    4. Sport seat will have thigh support which will lengthen the seat bottom for your thighs.
    5. There are other items but you can't see them.

2000 740i Impala brown
    My baby
    Kevin Goto

Registered Member
    Member No: 13945 topaztony is an unknown quantity at this point topaztony's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks guys.

Registered Member
    Member No: 76965 1972ARG is an unknown quantity at this point 1972ARG's Avatar

Yes | No

Mine is a 2001 (w/sport package) and don't have the automatic transm. with the + and - and the seats are not sport.
    Produc. late 2000

Registered Member

Yes | No

So some changes were made mid-year?

Jeff OTMG

Yes | No

My sport was made in 8/99 2000 model....

The only thing that I don't have is the 3 spoke steering wheel. If you don't have Sport seats and don't have a StepTronic tranny you don't have a Sport package. You might have a Sport wheel package.

Registered Member

Yes | No

No offense, but the sport package on the 740iL is cosmetic only. Only the short bodies have all the sport goodies. Unless it is the 750iL then they have all the goodies.(I am jealous of you guys)

2000 740i Impala brown
    My baby
    Kevin Goto

Big-M

Yes | No

Guys, steptronic has nothing to do w/Sport package

Big-M

Yes | No

differenc is suspension,short chassis,rims,s.wheel

Registered Member

Yes | No

Haven't seen an 740i sport w/o it or 740iL w/it

2000 740i Impala brown
    My baby
    Kevin Goto

Big-M

Yes | No

Re: Haven't seen an 740i sport w/o it or 740iL w/it

my understanding of the sport package is that it applies to the short chassis version of the 7 series, and that is why you always find "740iS" and not "740iLS" as model name.

regarding the steptronic issue, i regularly drive my cousin's 1996 E38 740iS which isn't steptronic transmission.

However, I am always flexible with such debates due to the fact that the BMW market is so diversified globally that such differences do exist when comparing Middle Eat production with Euro mods or US mods.

M.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Ahh.Being new to BMW I was concerned only w/99up

"sport models". I never reasearched anything below 1999 MY. That is the basis for any statements I have made. Not meant to offend anyone. I was referring only to USA cars.

2000 740i Impala brown
    My baby
    Kevin Goto

yarom

Yes | No

Easy - they cost more - very in demand..

Registered Member
    Member No: 10879 marantzer is an unknown quantity at this point marantzer's Avatar

Yes | No

In the United States, this is what you need to

1. All 740iS' came with steptronic transmission. This is probably the most expensive and least likely upgrade to be done by someone looking to mimic a sport.

2. The 740iS' have a different final drive ratio than all other e38's. You may or may not be able to tell whether or not the one you are looking at has the Sport package by driving it and noticing the difference between non-sport package cars.

3. Sport cars have "sport-tuned suspension". I'm not sure what this means or how you can tell whether or not the car has the sport suspension. I'd wager though that people going for the Sport look neglect to upgrade the suspension.

4. 740iS' got the Vavona Redwood Trim. This trim is noticeably different from the Burr Walnut of the regular 7's. This trim can be change fairly easily though, albeit not inexpensively.

5. The only chrome on the exterior of a 2001 740iS is located on the kidney grill and the trim piece on the trunk. There is no other chrome on the outside of the car. This is not a 100% accurate way to distinguish a 740iS because some people change the trim pieces to match their personal taste; either from black to chrome or chrome to black.

6. The Sport seats are USUALLY present on sport package cars, however, I believe the comfort seats could be opted for particularly when ordering features like active comfort seats. I'm fairly sure that the active comfort system was not available in sport seats

7. The Sport steering wheel is present on 2001's. It's fairly similar to the wheel in your M3 so you should be able to recognize it.

8. Last but not least, the M-parallel wheels came on the 7. This is by far the most common upgrade for non-sport e38's so it probably won't tell you much. Be sure to check the spare tire, there is a possibility that they didn't spring for the 5th M-parallel, but don't rely on the presence of these wheels to constitute a sport.

You may also want to get a vehicle history report using the VIN of a vehicle you are interested in at your dealer. They can tell you what the car was ordered with as well as critical maintenance information. Good Luck!

Will
    Augusta, GA
    Orient Blue 740i
    WWW.GERMANTECHNIK.COM

Registered Member
    Member No: 28763 LastAndBestE38 is an unknown quantity at this point LastAndBestE38's Avatar

Yes | No

The B-pillar sticker will say "Sport" if it's real

2001 740i Sport, Zimmermann cross-drilled rotors, Rotex brake pads, Bridgestone S-03s, 3M 50% window tint, Infinity BassLink subwoofer

Registered Member
    Member No: 66901 IslandBeef is an unknown quantity at this point IslandBeef's Avatar

Yes | No

"Widescreen" navigation screen

islandbeef
    2001 740i Sport Steptronic
    San Diego, California

Registered Member
    Member No: 38283 mmahoney is an unknown quantity at this point mmahoney's Avatar

Yes | No

Tony...I don't know your price point, but...

This is cherry. Getting it with only 7k miles is icing on the cake.

2001 740i Sport

MikeM
    2000 740i Sport
    Click here to go to my 740i Sport web site.

Click here to go to the Seattle 7s web site.

Registered Member
    Member No: 70103 7Lucky is an unknown quantity at this point 7Lucky's Avatar

Yes | No

Nice example. I checked the VIN

Manufacture date April 2001

Registered Member

Yes | No

Loks awesome but would like to see/drive

Im in Atlanta. Kind of far for a test drive. Plenty of nice ones locally.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information