+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 79217 Pogophil is an unknown quantity at this point Pogophil's Avatar

Yes | No

Left Key in Ignition --> Car Won't Start?

Has this happened to anyone? It's happened to me twice now....

The first time, I left the key in the ignition for maybe 5 minutes. Then when the mechanic went to start it up, it was dead. I didn't suspect the key had anything to do with it. I had it taken to Fields BMW in Northfield, IL. They made a guess and replaced the ignition switch for $165 ($45 part + $120 labor).

Well, a couple of days later I was getting some gas at a gas station, and I left the key in the ignition. When I came back to start the car, it was dead again.

I'm thinking it might have something to do with leaving the key in the ignition. Anyone have a similar situation? Anyone have ideas as to what this might be (e.g., starter, anti-theft, etc.)?

Thanks in advance!

Phil

1996 BMW 740iL

1992 Dodge Stealth R/T TT (modified)

1994 Dodge Stealth (modified)

Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 79440 7fiddy is an unknown quantity at this point 7fiddy's Avatar

Yes | No

Have similar prob.

Sometimes I will bring the key to position 1 or 2 (not start, but run or just accessories on), let it sit for a bit, then try to turn to start. It won't do a darn thing. I take the key out, then go to start the car immediately... AOK then. Having the key sit, without starting the car seems to be an issue.

'96 750iL, Austin, TX.

Registered Member
    Member No: 79217 Pogophil is an unknown quantity at this point Pogophil's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Have similar prob.

Yeah, sounds like my problem. And if mine doesn't start, then I need to remove the key and wait a few hours -- then it starts up again. (It won't start up immediately after I remove the key and try again.) That could be a big problem if I'm ever stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Is there nobody on here who has successfully diagnosed this problem before?? (I find that hard to believe....)
    1996 BMW 740iL

1992 Dodge Stealth R/T TT (modified)

1994 Dodge Stealth (modified)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information