+ Reply to Thread
    Bert

Yes | No

seat belt locked

The passenger seatbelt on my 2000 2.8 Z3 is locked in the retracted position. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Registered Member
    Member No: 20384 edhchoe is an unknown quantity at this point edhchoe's Avatar

Yes | No

Move the seat backward as far as you can.

Car wax: $10
    Microfiber Detail kit: $30
    Full recovery from Wax shouler after 5 coats of waxing: 3 days
    Smile on the face with top down at 75 mph, peeking at the hood bulge that shines like a mirror: Priceless.

Registered Member
    Member No: 21597 z3bigdaddy is an unknown quantity at this point z3bigdaddy's Avatar

Yes | No

Just for future info... Try not to extend the

fully when putting it on as this will put it in the lock position for sure.... I try to get my passengers to only pull out enuff belt to get around your waist and secured.... btaim I still have a seat belt cutter attached to my visor.... just in case.... For now make sure the belt is out of the guide attached to the seat so \"all\" of the belt can retract back inside...... May help.....
    All this writing means nothing.... well it means something but only that there is now a white space between my post and my disclaimer..... It is a sad comment on society when a person has to hide the fact that he must separate the message from the disclaimer or that said person ever needed a disclaimer in the first place. Disclaimer broken down in its Latin form, dis- like don't dis me man, claim- to clamber without knowledge, and er- to er is human so get off my back
    Z3BD DISCLAIMER

I accept authorship, and responsibility for all that I write...... But please accept that as a salesperson, I have the God given right to writer embellishment. Also it is understood that I am basically a nice guy, and would never knowingly malign anyone in the Z3 and/or E30 community. Unless of course said person in the Z3 and/or E30 community had it coming.

Additional warning
    .... You may be exposed to irony, to wit: an utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning; Please do not overreact. Only objects in the rearview mirror are larger than they seem everything else is just as you thought it was.

CRATER CRUIZE 06.28.2003

And remember friends don't let friends drink and post!!!

DISCLAIMER ADDENDUM :

Be it known to all that this post is for novelty purposes only and in no way is meant to insult, offend, or blaspheme any religious belief and/or denomination.

"Waste your brain; wax your board; pray for waves."

Michael W

Yes | No

careful!!!

If you do this, you could snap the black attachment on the seat-- this could be a MAJOR pain to fix. Some of the black plastic parts can only be replaced by opening up the entire upholstery from the seat.

So be careful it doesn't lock up too tight... this is probably how most of them get snapped up in the first place..

Registered Member
    Member No: 15881 xyzebra is an unknown quantity at this point xyzebra's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: seat belt locked

belt was locking on me just about every time I tried to put it on...

Then found out why....

when it retracts, if the buckle is up high it catches before the belt can fully retract....

all you have to do is pull the buckle dow, allow it to fully retract and then pull it out...works every time.....

Belt must retract fully to keep this from happening.

Bert

Yes | No

Re: careful!!!

Thanks for the suggestions...unfortunately, it is still locked up tight in the retracted position.

Registered Member
    Member No: 12210 TommyZ3 is an unknown quantity at this point TommyZ3's Avatar

Yes | No

Is the Z3 pointing down hill

I know it's frustrating, Many of us have been through this. I had the passenger side retractor replaced under warranty when I had a '98 1.9 and again with my '01 2.5i. It still happens every now and then.

- Is the car sitting on an incline; activating the sensor that locks the belt when braking.

- Try feeding even a little bit (half-inch) of the belt into the retractor then gently pull the belt out.

I hope this helps.

TommyZ3
    2001 2.5i
    Steel Gray/Black/Black

Registered Member
    Member No: 51091 purplehays is an unknown quantity at this point purplehays's Avatar

Yes | No

Try this

Sounds like you have what I had. My belt would release if I could get enough of it back into the reel. Mine wanted ALL the belt back in, and was sensitive to what seemed like fractions of an inch of belt still out. Here's what I should have done to prevent breaking the belt guide.

Carefully:

Move the seat all the way down.
    Tilt the seatback completely vertical
    (as long as it doesn't stress the belt guide).
    Move the seat all the way back.
    Push the headrest toward the rear of the car to get the last fraction of an inch...

Hopefully that will release it. If not, you mighy try to remove the bolt on the side of the seat that fastens the end of the belt, but I bet you can't get to it without removing the seat, which you can't do till the seatbelt releases. :-(

Mine misbehaved intermittently for months (though I do have one friend who ALWAYS ended up unable to buckle the belt and/or trapped in the passenger seat). My dealer replaced mine under warranty; the new one is less sensitive (you have to pull it AAAAALLLL out to get it to act up) and releases even if the seat is not quite all the way back.

Larry

Carl B

Yes | No

all good suggestions but ...

don\'t rule out that it could simply be defective. If your seat belt is anything like mine, is it defective. My passenger belt will get stuck and render the seat belt unusable. With seat all the way down and back and belt fully retracted, it still won\'t come out more than a couple of inches. I found that if I patiently pulled and released the belt, it would eventually release.

-Carl

'99 M Roadster Imola, Blk, Blk (WI)

Terre

Yes | No

Seat Belt locking

Quote Originally Posted by purplehays View Post
    Sounds like you have what I had. My belt would release if I could get enough of it back into the reel. Mine wanted ALL the belt back in, and was sensitive to what seemed like fractions of an inch of belt still out. Here's what I should have done to prevent breaking the belt guide.

Carefully:

Move the seat all the way down.
    Tilt the seatback completely vertical
    (as long as it doesn't stress the belt guide).
    Move the seat all the way back.
    Push the headrest toward the rear of the car to get the last fraction of an inch...

Hopefully that will release it. If not, you mighy try to remove the bolt on the side of the seat that fastens the end of the belt, but I bet you can't get to it without removing the seat, which you can't do till the seatbelt releases. :-(

Mine misbehaved intermittently for months (though I do have one friend who ALWAYS ended up unable to buckle the belt and/or trapped in the passenger seat). My dealer replaced mine under warranty; the new one is less sensitive (you have to pull it AAAAALLLL out to get it to act up) and releases even if the seat is not quite all the way back.

Larry

YAY! This worked for me! Thanks Larry!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 108.162.216.219

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information