+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 82435 rising_phorce is an unknown quantity at this point rising_phorce's Avatar

Yes | No

E36 (325i) overheating

I'm having an overheating problem with my '95 325i. I recently had the A/C recharged (they couldn't find a leak, but used dye so that next time the leak should be apparent). A few days later a made a trip from the Midwest to the south. Near the end of the trip I noticed the car overheating, where normally the temp gauge had been rock solid for about 2 years. (It was in the morning and not hot that day.) I drove the car a couple more times and then yesterday, during a errand run, I had been driving the car for 15 min and, suddenly, the temp gauge shoots up, the warning light comes on, the check engine light comes on and I pulled over immediately. There was a coolant leak and I believe the hot engine was burning the coolant and turning it to smoke because there was a lot of smoke for about 5 min. I could not locate the leak, however.

Today I ran the engine and A/C again, but no coolant seemed to be leaking. I did not see any white, mayo-like stuff on the dipstick or around oil reservoir or in the tailpipe, as some posts here said might mean a head gasket problem. The temp gauge DID start climbing too high, toward red, so it seems the problem still exists.

What do you guys think this problem is? And what steps should I have the garage take to avoid getting ripped off?

Gil Diaz

Yes | No

Re: E36 (325i) overheating

If you haven't had the water pump impeller (plastic) changed to metal it may be time. Easy check start it up cold let it run till the temp gauge reads normal then check the upper and lower radiator hose they should be the same temperature. If the upper stays cool and the engine temperature continues to incease you may have a broken impeller. When mine broke it actually fell off inside the water jacket. There is also the possibility the thermostat is bad. But based on the fact this happen at the end of your trip, I'd lean towards the broken impeller.

Gil

Registered Member
    Member No: 22222 Moe is an unknown quantity at this point Moe's Avatar

Yes | No

Does it overheat with the A/C on only? If it overheats with the A/C on only check the Auxiliary fan if it is running while the engine is running with the A/C on.

328i

Yes | No

In addition to the water pump impeller, check for leaks around the plastic thermo housing. Those tend to bust just as easily as the water pump impeller (plastic = stupid idea).

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information