+ Reply to Thread
    Justin L.

Yes | No

What exactly does a rod knock sound like?

Recently the engine in my 76 has started making a ticking sound when either at idle or under load. Not when I'm slowing down, though. It almost sounds like a card in my bicycle spokes. Using the screwdriver stethescope method, I can't locate it, but all the rockers and cam sound fine. They just whir away. I have not gotten underneath, but the sound is definately louder fron under there. Anyway, I had thought a rod knock was a deeper sound, and more clanging. Whay have I got?

THanks,
    Justin

76 Malaga (rust, too, I'm afraid)

Sean

Yes | No

Re: What exactly does a rod knock sound like?

Like a 2ft midget is under your hood slamming your block with a sledge hammer.

JakeS

Yes | No

You Mean Before or After The Hole in Block?

Sounds like a knock - tock tock tock tock, once per revolution. Loudest when you let off the gas enough to unload the engine but not let it "engine brake." So it's loudest just as you get to over the top of the hill, for example. Early on it goes away under aceleration or coasting.

It gets louder & louder until the rod comes loose, then you get a BANG! and a smoky hole in the side of the engine, and the guy behind you dodges pieces on engine as they scatter around.

Ask me how I know.

Recently the engine in my 76 has started making a ticking sound when either at idle or under load. Not when I'm slowing down, though. It almost sounds like a card in my bicycle spokes. Using the screwdriver stethescope method, I can't locate it, but all the rockers and cam sound fine. They just whir away. I have not gotten underneath, but the sound is definately louder fron under there. Anyway, I had thought a rod knock was a deeper sound, and more clanging. Whay have I got?

THanks,
    Justin

Justin L.

Yes | No

Re: You Mean Before or After The Hole in Block?

Actually, my symptoms are exactly the opposite. It's loudest when accelerating hard, audible at idle, and there's nothing when the engine is either coasting or "braking." It's almost like there's a pin hole sized hole in the ehhaust manifold or something. Maybe the sparks in the dizzy are just really loud under load or something. Sounds silly, though.

Thanks,
    Justin

Sounds like a knock - tock tock tock tock, once per revolution. Loudest when you let off the gas enough to unload the engine but not let it "engine brake." So it's loudest just as you get to over the top of the hill, for example. Early on it goes away under aceleration or coasting.

It gets louder & louder until the rod comes loose, then you get a BANG! and a smoky hole in the side of the engine, and the guy behind you dodges pieces on engine as they scatter around.

Ask me how I know.

THanks,
    Justin

Doug

Yes | No

Re: What exactly does a rod knock sound like?

lol lol funny midget stuff

JakeS

Yes | No

Exhaust Manifold Gasket

What you describe is exactly the sound an exhaust manifold leak makes. This is typically due to loose manifold stud/nut, allowing a pulse to escape between the manifold and the head. Tighten your stud nuts to spec. if you wait too long the gasket will develop a tunnel and it'll never go away until you replace the gasket.

My Jeep (AMC 258) is doing this, it's common with these engines. Actually, any time you replace the manifold you typically have to retorque the studs several times over the next few months, as things settle in and the tension gets lost.

Actually, my symptoms are exactly the opposite. It's loudest when accelerating hard, audible at idle, and there's nothing when the engine is either coasting or "braking." It's almost like there's a pin hole sized hole in the ehhaust manifold or something. Maybe the sparks in the dizzy are just really loud under load or something. Sounds silly, though.

Thanks,
    Justin

Ask me how I know.

THanks,
    Justin

your exhaust! chrystobal
    Member No: your exhaust!      chrystobal's Avatar

Yes | No

well *AFTER* the hole it gets REAL quiet!! n/t

Ask me how I know.

THanks,
    Justin

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information