+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered Member
    Member No: 58267 soutine is an unknown quantity at this point soutine's Avatar

Yes | No

trunk actuator stopped working

need help, guys!
    did alot of good stuff this weekend. I changed the intake manifold gaskets and the coolant tubes to the heads. Car runs really well now! better gas mileage, more responsive.
    anyway, i disconnected the battery while i was working on the gaskets about 8 hrs. when i reconnected the battery, the trunk lid actuator stopped working. the trunk opens and closes manually with the key, but the button in the car does not work, nor does the button on the trunk lock.
    i can't find a fuse for the trunk.

Registered Member
    Member No: 64338 Joe-BMW is an unknown quantity at this point Joe-BMW's Avatar

Yes | No

Where is the button in the car?

Sorry I can't help with your question, but I did not know there was a trunk release button in the car.

Joe
    1998 740IL
    My Weak Car Domain

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Where is the button in the car?

above hood latch lower left kicker panel

Registered Member
    Member No: 36616 RLARMSTRONG is an unknown quantity at this point RLARMSTRONG's Avatar

Yes | No

Try this John.

Loosen the cable to the battery donít remove it yet. Take a screwdriver and engage the lock to the close position on the trunk lid. Disconnect the battery and wait a minute or so maybe a few and reconnect the battery. Use the button on the key to open the trunk , this will activate the cam lock mechanism in the trunk it should rotate as if it were opening the trunk.
    (Note that the lock in the trunk lid is still in the closed position)
    Now you can take the key and open the lock to the open position. Close the trunk and it should close with the cam mechanism.
    I think that the car remembers the last position the lock was in after the battery has been disconnected for a while.
    I hope this works if not drop me a line.

Registered Member
    Member No: 64338 Joe-BMW is an unknown quantity at this point Joe-BMW's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks! Learn something new everyday here.

Joe
    1998 740IL
    My Weak Car Domain

Registered Member

Yes | No

it worked!

casper,
    I am grateful for your superb technical skill. If you ever need someone to bounce tech info with, please don't hesitate to e-mail me. I consider myself extremely mechanical and have done much with my e38.
    Thanks,
    John
    [email protected]

Casper 740i

Yes | No

Re: Try this John.

Worked spot on.! thanx Casper :o)))

I have another prob , when I unlock the trunk by remote it unlocks and lifts the trunk , but unless u are quick it seems like the trunk is too heavy and is locked again after maybe 2 seconds ?

Any ideas ?

Rgds

John....

Registered Member
    Member No: 22541 WTH is an unknown quantity at this point WTH's Avatar

Yes | No

Your lid \"shocks\" are going South...

The gas-charged struts that help hold the trunk (and hood, as well) up are losing their pressure and need replacement (one or both of them). They're not very costly and are easy to R&R.

Casper 740i

Yes | No

Re: Your lid

Thanks for that :o))

I'll order a set.

B.Rgds

John....

Registered Member
    Member No: 3765 squenton is an unknown quantity at this point squenton's Avatar

Yes | No

****WAIT***** don\'t order new trunk shocks yet!

I replied to the same question this morning and it worked for them. The auto open/close feature is not dependent on the trunk shocks (they are used for lift & hold after the auto open position...there is a bump stop on the left side of the trunk lid that may be stuck. This bump stop is adjustable and the pin is spring loaded. Don't adjust the one on the right side...it is for something else...the one on the left holds the lid up when the trunk is actuated...

click here to link to my earlier post (has a pic, too) of the bump stop to adjust/check out.

Please post back if this is successful...it may help determine future replies to this problem. I'm thinking it may just need lubrication every now and then.
    Q
    91 735iL (Schwarz-Black)________________97 740iL (Artic Silver)

my Qsilver7 cardomain site

jmarlow989

Yes | No

One more thing to try!!!!!

I read through many many posts relating to this problem but none of the solutions applied to me. BUT while tinkering around I noticed that the 'bump stop' mentioned can be extended by unscrewing it. It is on a curly cue of rubber washers. The further you unscrew it the more of a buffer it extends against the bottom of the trunk, and therefore allows the"bumper" to push harder when the trunk is unlocked.

This solution was the only thing that worked for me.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 207.255.183.200

Unregistered

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by RLARMSTRONG View Post
    Loosen the cable to the battery donít remove it yet. Take a screwdriver and engage the lock to the close position on the trunk lid. Disconnect the battery and wait a minute or so maybe a few and reconnect the battery. Use the button on the key to open the trunk , this will activate the cam lock mechanism in the trunk it should rotate as if it were opening the trunk.
    Now you can take the key and open the lock to the open position. Close the trunk and it should close with the cam mechanism.
    I think that the car remembers the last position the lock was in after the battery has been disconnected for a while.
    Stumbled upon this tip and is really greatful. After our car sat for the winter and the battery went flat the trunk stopped responding to both the remote and in car release. Our local dealer here in Ontario gave me an earful on the number of varibles which could possible create this inclusive of wires chewed by mice and so on and so forth. Possibly looking at $500 re and re. I told him I would drop the car off later that evening, went home and did exactly as you instructed and bingo: It Worked. Wont be looking up the STEALER for a while.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 99.254.188.76

Unregistered

Yes | No

Thanks rlarmstrong

it worked! THANKS AGAIN YOU THE MAN!!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 64.231.129.185

BMW 740i Owner

Yes | No

Remote Trunk Actuator

Thanks for these tips! My 1995 740i's remote wasn't opening the trunk anymore after I replaced the battery. I was concerned about spending money to have it repaired, although it opened with the key okay. I just tried your instructions and it worked! Just a little clarification where I was confused a little bit (and somebody else might be too). You use the screwdriver to physically move the lock itself on the trunklid into the closed position, not stick the screwdriver in the keyhole on the trunklid and try to close it without the key like I almost did. :) Otherwise worked like a charm, excellent instructions! Thanks!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 74.100.40.129

Unregistered

Yes | No

Help please

If u could help me I would be sooooo greatful... My trunk would not close, so after too much tinkering around I took apart the lock. Had to buy a new lock bc I broke it mind u I had to rip the old one out bc it was screwed in so tight, now I have to take it to a welder to fix the ripped metal. Anyway, the problem is that when I use the lock the acentuator moves the bar back and forth in the close open position but the actual lock doesnt move, the lock bottom doesn't engage. I am so embarrassed by how badly I destroyed the car I wont even take it anywhere and now I have spent 5 days trying to get it to work and it wont. it has rained here in Florida non stop and it keep getting water in my trunk and into my battery. I am so stressed out if I can get any help it would be a huge relief as I have actually lost sleep over this. Please and thanks in advance
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 24.129.57.194

fstank

Yes | No

Thanks again RLARMSTRONG!

Have been getting abuse from the wife because the trunk on her 740i isn't working with key fob (probably after I replaced the battery?). Thought I would Google it.....and you saved the day!
    Thanks so much!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 68.39.60.17

Unregistered

Yes | No

2002 BMW X5 Truck lid doesnt lift up on its own after release

Hi,

I purchased 2002 BMW X5 last year, its truck gets released through button on key and from inside the car as well but trunk lid didnt lift up on its own, I need to pull it up. Is it regular functionality or something is not working correctly?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 69.170.16.82

Unregistered

Yes | No

Thanks rlarmstrong!

I know this is an old post and it has been said... but thanks again. Amazing!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 67.177.208.70

Unregistered

Yes | No

Questions

I have not changed the battery in my 2006 750I, nor has the battery gone dead and my remote key and the button under the trunk just stopped working. The actual key works fine. Should I try this same thing? The reason for my question is I thought that when you disconnect the battery in one of these it creates other problems. Is the above solution the only possible fix? Thanks.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 173.60.70.246

Bermudez

Yes | No

Garage Mechanic

It worked! Same issue car sat for a while battery was dead, when i replaced it actuator didn't work, I'v been driving around for about a year useing the key, thinking it was the motor and probably dealer $$$'s
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 108.0.44.172

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information