+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 62972 russcasey is an unknown quantity at this point russcasey's Avatar

Yes | No

89 AKI octane required. What is this at the pump?

89 AKI octane is required on my 95 525i. This is even stated on the gas cap as a minimum. What is this at the pump? The pump seems to show a different rating system??

Because of the 89 AKI rating on the gas cap I thought I was supposed to use 89 octane on my car. Also, the manual says unleaded premium. Now I do not know what to use I think this needs to be cleared up. The car seem to run smoother and get better milage on 91 Chevron "pump" octane. Perhaps it is just "justification"

I found with the cruise on with a gently rolling interstate road at about 70 mph I can get 29-31 mpg. I can also get 9-10 in heavy stop and go traffic.

Thanks, Russell

1995 525iA, 1/95 build date, Traction Control, Premium package, heated seats, BMW-Pioneer CD Changer
    84,000 miles, Oxford Green, Parchment

Bryan77z

Yes | No

Re: 89 AKI octane required. What is this at the pump?

I once had a long discussion with a physicist at Amoco in Chicago about this. Internal combustion is a much more complex process than most of us would care to contemplate, thus AKI and RON are 2 entirely different methods of determing Octane and as such there is no direct conversion.

Generally speaking however, 89 AKI ~= (approximately equal to) 92 RON.

I found on my 1989 535i that I got much better performance and mileage from 93 RON octane than with 87 RON or 89 RON which caused hesitation and rough idling. The best stuff I ever found on the street though, was a little Citgo station in Houghton, Michigan, which had "Super Blue Racing Fuel". 100 Octane, unleaded for $2.99 per gallon. On her second tank, that old 535i with 190,000 miles on her started accelerating like she did at 19,000 miles, and returned 28MPG while driving 80MPH with 70% of full cargo load! Plus...the Super Blue (which had a blueish tint) smelled like those large "Marks-a-lot" mrkers...weird.

Bottom line IMHO: If you really want to run 87 RON, you should buy a Toyota.

Registered Member
    Member No: 62972 russcasey is an unknown quantity at this point russcasey's Avatar

Yes | No

What octane do I need?

I hope you are not insulting me with the last comment regarding the Toyota. I just want to know what I should run in my Car. The manual/ gas cap states 89 AKI. The sales brochure stated preminum. Is the 89 at the pump AKI or do I need to run preminm? That simple.

Thanks, Russell

1995 525iA, 1/95 build date, Traction Control, Premium package, heated seats, BMW-Pioneer CD Changer
    84,900 miles, Oxford Green, Parchment

Registered Member
    Member No: 64069 dmulk is an unknown quantity at this point dmulk's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: What octane do I need?

I have a 1995 530I and I run 87 pump and my idle is fine and I avg. 25MPG at 80-85MPH. I have 91000 on the original Nikasil block and I am pushing 199-205 Compression and no less than 4% on any cylinder on my leak down performed 2000 miles ago.

Bryan77z

Yes | No

Love Toyota's.....

My 1991 Previa LE with dual sunroofs, dual A/C, rear wheel drive was awesome. Drove it over 200,000 miles and sold it for over $2000 despite the rust and need of minor repairs.

Whether I used 87 or 93 Octane, the thing always started and ran perfectly. Whether I drove 45 or 90MPH, it always got 23 MPG fully loaded.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Love Toyota's..... Me too!

Also Got a Camry V6 with 140,000. Aways runs great. Wish I could say the same about or Explorer. Drive line problems up until the warranty ran out at 100,000. Just hope it holds together for a while.

Thanks, Russell

84,900 miles, Oxford Green, Parchment

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information