+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Registered Member
    Member No: 46769 mike_m3 is on a distinguished road mike_m3's Avatar

Yes | No

Leatherique - A Tale of Woe (long)

After reading a number of positive reviews at this and other sites I took the plunge and ordered Leatherique Rejuvenating Oil and Pristine Clean from their web site.
    I was not really apprehensive about the product but somewhat apprehensive about how long this product was going to take to apply and do its job. But considering it is an M3 I decided that she was worth the trouble.
    Some background, my car is an 01 with less than 16K miles on the clock. The interior is gray Nappa leather. She's pretty much a garage queen which sees very little driving in adverse weather and winter. Since the car spends 90% of its life in the garage it sees very little sun damage to the interior. I work from home 95% of the time so the car rests in the garage and not some sunbaked outdoor parking space.
    The interior of the car is (was) pristine and there are no real scuff or wear marks anywhere on the leather.
    Now, those of you who have seen me post about the car and mods for well over a year now at this and other forums should probably know by now that I do not pull any punches and if something is good I will rant and rave about how well it works and even go so far as provide DIY's and detailed reviews at my site (bmwm3.org aka m3.madrussian.net). I'm hardly an alarmist and it takes a significant amount of effort to really _piss me off about a given product.
    So on to Leatherique: I received the products ($45 for the oil and cleaner delivered) a few weeks ago and finally got around to applying it middle of last week. I sprayed on the recommended amounts of Rejuvenating Oil as per Leatherique's instruction and let the car sit for a bit over a full day as the weather was not cooperating. It was sunny when I first applied the oil but became overcast after a few hours and then took another 12 hours to clear back up.
    The rejuvenating oil was applied to all the leather sections of the car with a (new) spray bottle and rubbed in with a (new) soft sponge and by hand as per instructions and after sitting as directed formed somewhat of a film of the products it allegedly expels from the leather.
    After I was happy with the "cooking" process duration, I started to apply Pristine Clean at the center console arm rest. As soon as I started to do so I noticed light darkening of the leather at the end of the arm rest. I assumed that this was just saturation and the dirt being removed and continued to apply the cleaner with a (new) micro fiber towel. It started to become apparent very quickly that this was NOT saturation and/or dirt - THE FINISH FROM THE LEATHER WAS BEING REMOVED!
    Now call me an idiot but cause and effect is often easily observed as in armrest leather fine, substance applied to armrest and finish goes to _****. I realized very quickly that doing anything else to the armrest was going to do more damage and stopped using the product.
    I called Leatherique and spoke with a lady who told me that I was insane and that their product could not possibly cause this. She suggested that email her boss, George. I emailed George with detailed pictures of before and after and was told that their product could not have done this damage and that it must have been there before. I reiterated to George via email (politely) that the armrest was fine before I applied Pristine Clean and was told the same exact thing. My last communication was a bit less polite and I was basically told to get lost.
    Below is a picture of the armrest a few weeks ago and the armrest after Leatherique. While someone can make the argument that some alien life form beamed into my car while the oil was "cooking" and took finish off my armrest and then conveniently covered up the damage until I applied the cleaner is a remote possibility, the more likely scenario is that there is something between the finish on the armrest and Pristine Clean that do not get along. Maybe I got the one bad armrest from the factory (though its hard to believe since other cleaners never caused any damage to it) or more likely something about Pristine Clean and the armrest just did not get along.
    To make a long story short, this _crap likely ruined a part of the interior of my car, pretty much that simple. Maybe I got a hold of a bad bottle of the cleaner, maybe my armrest was designed expressly to go to hell if Leatherique was applied to it, maybe the Pope is really not Polish, but.........
    In light of the positive reviews I know this tale of woe maybe hard to swallow - and it was for me as well. I only wanted to do something good for the car's interior in order to protect it and prolong its show room like condition. In the end I'm now holding a tab for $150 to replace my armrest.
    The funny thing is that I used Meguire's Leather Cleaner to remove the rest of the rejuvenating oil and the interior looks great.
    Take this for whatever it may be worth... I will post additional details at my site when I have a chance to write a full review and post it there along with additional pics.

Registered Member
    Member No: 69093 amann23 is an unknown quantity at this point amann23's Avatar

Yes | No

Maybe it's the Dentyne gum?????

Registered Member
    Member No: 66970 ImolaS54 is an unknown quantity at this point ImolaS54's Avatar

Yes | No

now one may ask how did you happen to have

a picture of the "old" armrest. Thou, I totally believe you, but I can see George asking that question...

Registered Member
    Member No: 35665 JETcpe is an unknown quantity at this point JETcpe's Avatar

Yes | No

yes, a nice long review is in order

You have to be one of the most unbiased people on the board and it's a sad reality that there is no way of conveying that to others who don't know you ie george. I knew where the customer service experience was headed as I was reading. I hope you get things sorted mike.

Registered Member
    Member No: 35665 JETcpe is an unknown quantity at this point JETcpe's Avatar

Yes | No

for his review most likely

Registered Member
    Member No: 19026 StMedina is an unknown quantity at this point StMedina's Avatar

Yes | No

that stinks....good thing its only the armrest....

we've all done something like that one time or another....and if one hasn't....its coming soon...

Registered Member
    Member No: 19026 StMedina is an unknown quantity at this point StMedina's Avatar

Yes | No

yep was gonna say for his diy site page...

Registered Member

Yes | No

yeap

Registered Member
    Member No: 47531 ChuckD is an unknown quantity at this point ChuckD's Avatar

Yes | No

Have used it 3 times total on black with no issues

Not sure what the different variables are here.. just saying it did not do that for me.

StlDon might have some valuable input.

Registered Member

Yes | No

yeah, glad I started somewhere small & "cheap" to

Registered Member
    Member No: 39160 dallasbboy is an unknown quantity at this point dallasbboy's Avatar

Yes | No

My guess is you had some oil or something on your

armrest and you simply rubbed it in deeper with the rejuvenating oil.

Its hard to tell from the pictures you took but your grey leather does seem a bit darker on your armrests than your seats.

Brian

Registered Member
    Member No: 56028 alevy is an unknown quantity at this point alevy's Avatar

Yes | No

Mike i had the same problem.. but not with

Leatherique.. I had an 01 330CI grey leather.. The armrest did the SAME thing.. they use the same armrests in both the cars.. I used Lexol when it looked fine.. after the lexol.. it looked like yours.. the problem is actually the dirt covering the problem i wiped away the dirt and was like OMFG.. Sucks but thats what happened.. :(

-----------------
    -Alex Levy
    03 Alpine White M3
    Cinnamon Leather / Aluminum Trim
    SMG / Nav / Xenons
    -----------------
    A Quote to live by:
    It is better not to speak and be thought of an idiot,
    than to open ones mouth and remove all doubts!

Registered Member

Yes | No

i doubt that

and here's why - I've used Meguire's leather stuff (forget what it's called) regularly and it has left the finish clean and no problems on the armrest or anywhere else in the car. I only used leatherique since it was supposed to the be the best but I was pretty satisfied with Meguire's product. When I examined the micro fiber towel that I used to apply pristine clean it had gray on it (if was the exact tone of the finish and not the darker, brownish stuff I typically get with Meguire's which is dirt).
    There was no wear on the thing anyway, I should have mentioned that I drive typically with the armrest UP as it gets in the way of shifting....

Registered Member
    Member No: 47531 ChuckD is an unknown quantity at this point ChuckD's Avatar

Yes | No

Looks asif it only happened where your arm rested.

Looks like it combined with your natural oils caused the problem.. which is still a problem for you with leaterique seeing as the other products didn't do the same. Maybe you got a funky bottle.

If old george only knew how much biz he was goiong to hurt by not getting you a new arm rest and bottle of oil to give it a second test.

BTW ... Don't get it on your skin.. maybe it will fall off too. ;P

Registered Member
    Member No: 47066 CBsaksiri is an unknown quantity at this point CBsaksiri's Avatar

Yes | No

me too... sorry to hear Mike...

obviously i feel bad because i was one of the people who recommended it to you!

i didn't have any color rub off on my towels. i wonder what the problem could be... sorry Mike.

CBsaksiri Sunnyvale, CA

Registered Member

Yes | No

hardly your fault saksiri

I always appreciate your input and would hardly place any blame on you or others here. I got a guy named George in mind for that....

Registered Member
    Member No: 70968 quickburn7 is an unknown quantity at this point quickburn7's Avatar

Yes | No

hey you take any pics of the autox on saturday?

was lots of fun and congrats on your times in the fun runs would have loved to see it!

2003 Six Speed Coupe
    titanium silver/black napa leather
    UUC ssk
    PSS9s coilovers

Registered Member
    Member No: 47066 CBsaksiri is an unknown quantity at this point CBsaksiri's Avatar

Yes | No

unfortunately, no... everyone just kinda forgot

i never took any pics and Chaz didn't either... i don't have much zoom on my camera so they probably wouldn't have been that great anyway. =)

thanks again for the ride in your car... helped a ton! i'm glad i stayed for the fun runs.

CBsaksiri Sunnyvale, CA

Registered Member
    Member No: 22053 ralphsheppard is an unknown quantity at this point ralphsheppard's Avatar

Yes | No

you rubbed the dye off(m)

the issue isn't the product - or not directly. the stuff becomes so glue-like and it takes a lot of friction to remove - you removed the dye - go have it dyed again

Registered Member

Yes | No

then it is a problem with the product

like I said before, I never had any of it come off with other products - I guess the conclusion could be that Leatherique is MORE agressive/abrasive and much more likely to remove the finish than other products. I cleaned the interior with Meguires about a month ago without any problems. I did not really rub the stuff in either way - I even did the recommended "let it sit if its dirty step" (becuase I though the original discoloration was the dirt that the oil is supposed to "release") and even the stuff sitting on the armrest seemed to react with it. Hell, leatherique tells you to use a brush it the stain is stubborn - glad I did not follow that step or I think I would not have had an armrest left....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information