+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 14113 marcmc8867 is an unknown quantity at this point marcmc8867's Avatar

Yes | No

Could someone give some suggestions on my

I'm currently doing a ton of driving schools and have decided that I want to work my way toward club racing in '05. Based on my info, could ppl give me some suggestions?...

I did 4 track days in '02 (2 days at Watkins Glen in '01 M3 cab and 2 at VIR in '03 M3 coupe).

This year, I hit the track scene hard and by the end of the year, I will have done 29 days on the year:

WGI: 10 days
    Mont Tremblant: 2
    Mosport: 4
    Pocono: 1
    Lime Rock: 1
    Summit Point: 2
    MidOhio: 4
    VIR: 2
    Road Atlanta: 2
    Carolina Motorsports Park: 1

I have always received excellent feedback and have had 3-4 instructors tell me that I'm the best student they've had for that experience level, etc. I've run a few events solo lately without incident. Many events prior to that, I got signed off for the second day.

I've been using 3 track cars this year, an '03 m3, then a '99 M3, and now an '89 M3. I also have an '84 325e track-prepped, but I haven't yet tracked it.

I'm now using R-compounds on the e30 and have some on the way for the e36 (e46 is retired from the track).

All in all, I'm doing very well and am very into it. Seemingly no matter what group I'm in, I'm chasing down quicker cars...even in advanced groups in my e30 m3.

I would like to have a schedule next year similar to the one this year...i.e. approx 30 track days. I'd like to try a few more tracks next year like Road America, BeaveRun, Roebling Road, Sebring, etc.

I'm thinking that after next year, I'd be prepared to start clubracing. I'd also like to do a skip barber school or 2 in the meantime and I'd of course need to do whatever necessary for competition license.

Long term, I'd like to get into pro racing....i.e. club racing 2005-2007, then perhaps Speed World Challenge touring class after that.

Does all of this sound a bit too optimistic?
    I'm 24, budget isn't something that I see getting in the way. Is it reasonable to think that I could do this if I put in enough seat time, make the commensurate progress, and maintain the interest I have now??

On another note, I think I'd use the e30 325 as the club racer getting started...

Any insight would be appreciated.<br>MHM3

2003 M3 SMG
    1999 M3
    1989 M3
    1984 325e
    x-2001 M3 convertible
    1995 Mitsubishi Montero SR (flagship of the fleet)

2003 M3 Coupe
    Carbon Black/Cinnamon/Aluminum SMG,
    Eisenmann Meisterschaft Race 83mm Exhaust.
    Supersprint Connecting Pipe w/o Resonator
    Brembo Gran Turismos
    BBS CH 19's
    NAV-TV, DVD changer

Austin

Yes | No

Re: Could someone give some suggestions on my

Sounds like you're ready. All you need is a car prepared for the class you want to run in.
    If your E30 is up for it, then do the spec E30 series put on by what was formerly called BMW Club Racing. The E30 is cheap to operate and if it gets totalled, not a major loss.

Next look into http://www.grandamerican.com/competition/2003_GTrules.html
    Grand Am is where anyone can win.

...or maybe sell your E36 M3 or trade for an E36 race car for the SCCA Pro Racing E36 (non-M). You'll be rubbing fenders with Bill Auberlen and assorted other good sedan drivers.

Bob B

Yes | No

It sounds like you are ready now. Sign up for the

racing school at Roebling Road in December. You can take that school in any car, but if you have a race ready car, you could also run in the races that weekend, following the race school.

Bob

Registered Member
    Member No: 14113 marcmc8867 is an unknown quantity at this point marcmc8867's Avatar

Yes | No

ready already? I\'m not opposed, but I\'ve assumed

<br>MHM3

2003 M3 SMG
    1999 M3
    1989 M3
    1984 325e
    x-2001 M3 convertible

2003 M3 Coupe
    Brembo Gran Turismos
    BBS CH 19's
    NAV-TV, DVD changer

Registered Member
    Member No: 27945 mijgilbert is an unknown quantity at this point mijgilbert's Avatar

Yes | No

\"Ready\" is subjective - do the race school (m)

There's no harm in doing the race school and if they say "you're ready" then you are ready. That's the whole purpose of it. You even get to do the races at the end of the weekend if you've got a prepared car and the right safety equipment.

Nobody's saying you are going to win - in fact that's not always the point of BMWCCA club racing. But you should realize whether or not you have the skill and mindset to bring the car back in one piece every time and then dial in your skills in a new (racing) environment. Sounds like you have the right attitude already by wanting to turn the E30 into a race car, not the E36 or E46.

I did one full year of track events and then raced this year. I had an accident in the rain. But other than that, it has been a very successful and enjoyable year and I wouldn't trade it for anything!

Feel free to write if you have any questions!

-Mike
    michael-dot-gilbert2-at-comcast-dot-net

97 M3 IP #121<br>Cheers,
    Mike

1997 M3 IP/ITE #121

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanks for the insight. Do you know when there are

<br>MHM3

2003 M3 SMG
    1999 M3
    1989 M3
    1984 325e
    x-2001 M3 convertible

2003 M3 Coupe
    Brembo Gran Turismos
    BBS CH 19's
    NAV-TV, DVD changer

Austin

Yes | No

You\'re ready. Even the well knowns like (m)

SCCA will license most anyone with a pulse. Odds are you'll be one of the more discplined and righteous drivers out there. Might be a mid field finisher for awhile but any experience is good experience.

Registered Member
    Member No: 27945 mijgilbert is an unknown quantity at this point mijgilbert's Avatar

Yes | No

Check out these links

This is a good set of articles to make the transition to club racing
    <a href="http://www.bmwccaclubracing.com/Primer/started.htm">http://www.bmwccaclubracing.com/Primer/started.htm</a>

This is the BMWCCA club racing schedule - there was a club race school as part of O'fest that you missed last weekend, and the only other one this year is at Roebling 12/11-12/12.
    <a href="http://www.bmwccaclubracing.com/2003%20Series/Races/03schedule.htm">http://www.bmwccaclubracing.com/2003%20Series/Races/03schedule.htm</a>

All of the info you need can be found on the BMW CCA Club Racing Website at
    <a href="http://www.bmwccaclubracing.com/">http://www.bmwccaclubracing.com/</a>
    <br>Cheers,
    Mike

1997 M3 IP/ITE #121

Registered Member

Yes | No

thanks a lot, Mike. I\'ve got some reading to do.

<br>MHM3

2003 M3 SMG
    1999 M3
    1989 M3
    1984 325e
    x-2001 M3 convertible

2003 M3 Coupe
    Brembo Gran Turismos
    BBS CH 19's
    NAV-TV, DVD changer

Austin ///M PowersŪ

Yes | No

Take BMW Racing School

I took the class as part of O'Fest and it was REALLY worth it! You get a lot of insight into Club Racing, including doing practice starts! You learn to look @ the track completely different than in a DE.

Good Luck

Registered Member
    Member No: 12904 pmiranda is just really nice pmiranda is just really nice pmiranda is just really nice pmiranda is just really nice pmiranda's Avatar

Yes | No

Agreed. Sounds like you\'re ready MHM3>>

You've got more experience and are probably already quicker than a bunch of club racers in your area. With the variety of tracks and cars you've run, you should be pretty adaptable. Most importantly, it sounds like you've got the cash to go racing, which is the single biggest obstacle.

With some talent and plenty of schmooze, you should be able to get into a pro drive. I'm pretty sure I'm already too old and too poor to pursue that myself.
    <br>02 LeMansBlue/Silverstone M5
    98 EstorilBlue/Grey M3

JoelG

Yes | No

Re: Could someone give some suggestions on my

if you are thinking about racing the eta and you are in the mid-atlantic, check out the spec e30 series. we have a group on yahoo
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SpecE30/ where you can learn more. spec e30 is sanctioned on the east coast by NASA. You can learn about getting your NASA comp license at http://www.nasaracing.net/index.html

the eta is also eligible for the SCCA ITA class. Info on getting an SCCA comp license is on their web page http://scca.org/amateur/club_racing/guide.html

joel

Registered Member

Yes | No

thank you for the info. I\'d be interested in that.

<br>MHM3

2003 M3 SMG
    1999 M3
    1989 M3
    1984 325e
    x-2001 M3 convertible

2003 M3 Coupe
    Brembo Gran Turismos
    BBS CH 19's
    NAV-TV, DVD changer

Registered Member

Yes | No

OK, so I pulled the trigger. I\'m signed up for

Mind you, I live near WGI, but...

My schedule now consists of:
    10/25-26 WGI
    11/1-2 MidOhio
    11/8 Lime Rock

Southern Swing:
    11/21 CMP
    11/22-23 Road Atlanta
    11/29-30 VIR

(fly back to NY, then...)

12/11-12 Roebling Road CCA race school
    12/13-14 Homestead

(fly back to NY)

1/17-18 or 1/24-25 Sebring

I'll be taking me e30 m3 on this crazy trip and leaving it at the family place in Fort Myers, Florida for the winter so that I can do monthly DEs down there.

Does anyone have hotel recommendations for the Roebling Road school?

<br>MHM3

2003 M3 SMG
    1999 M3
    1989 M3
    1984 325e
    x-2001 M3 convertible

2003 M3 Coupe
    Brembo Gran Turismos
    BBS CH 19's
    NAV-TV, DVD changer

Registered Member

Yes | No

Great news! Congrats! (more)

I'm VERY jealous of your winter schedule - NHIS is my last event for the winter. Then a long hibernation until April....

Best of luck and remember all of our advice is worth every penny you paid for it! It's a slippery slope...

<br>Cheers,
    Mike

1997 M3 IP/ITE #121

Registered Member
    Member No: 66839 mpowerme is an unknown quantity at this point mpowerme's Avatar

Yes | No

What school?? I'm near Roebling...

<br>///MPowerMe

Registered Member
    Member No: 21311 Paesan is an unknown quantity at this point Paesan's Avatar

Yes | No

some suggestions

You are not going to like this but this is the honest truth. Stop wasting your time. Sell the 89 m3, sell the e30 and buy yourself a competitive Spec miata and go SCCA racing. Buy a truck Ford F250 or f350 for towing and go real racing. BMWCCA will not prepare you for touring car. Spec miata will. There are now over 600 cars built. In BMWCCA if you go racing you will have 4 or 5 to race against at Best. In Spec miata you will have 20 to 40 cars every week end. There you can be realistic about your true value as a driver against the best drivers. Also why should you go SM racing

A hell of alot cheaper a cheap car can be had for 12K and winner car state of the art can be 24 with paint job and 3 sets of wheels
    Maintainance costs are cheap, brake pads last you alot, alot of people used 2 sets of tires for a whole season 10 races
    more competitive, there is nothing worst than show up at the track and run by yourself
    Get reconized, sure your name will be on the roundel but no one cares how many BMWCCA races you won, you win the Runoffs or the ARRC and you have bragging rights not only in SCCA but in grand am and Speed challenge
    All the best drivers today started in SCCA. Boris Said, randy Pobst, michael galati, roger foo, and alot of other names.

Here is what you do.

Join SCCA $35
    Get a medical and a novice permit $150
    Call a SM team and rent a Spec Miata $1100
    Fly to RDU $180
    Rent a car $80
    Sleep in Danville, VA $100
    Show up at the track on friday night for classroom
    Shw up at the track on saturday and drive a car that has been prepared for you and you have no mechanical problems to worry about for the whole week end, just enjoy it
    Sunday same thing just you are going to have the starts and the race
    Some people get their license in one school if they do not have any problems and drive well.

What does an SCCA license give you? 1st you can have any other licenses such as NASA or BMWCCA. Second you can drive in any SCCA test day and they do have many across any tracks. BMWCCA has fewer events per year. Check out how many times SCCA goes to Watkins Glen and compare.

So to sum it up a wonderful week end will cost you 1800 dollars and you do not have to tow 20 hours and will actually achieve more and learn more I guarantee you that. I have done the first BMWCCA racing school and thought it was pure disaster. I did two SCCA schools and enjoyed it. I did over 68 school Not days schools before going to racing so i know exactly what you are talking about. Also I too am 24 and I found that SCCA is a hell of alot better for young guys than BMWCCA is. If you want more suggestions email me I will be more than happy to talk about this to anyone, if you have decided that you have to drive a BMW and want to hangout with that crowd go ahead. But in the end do not expect BMW to give you any help, Mazda worships their amateur champions. Cheap prices on parts directly from Mazda, cash prizes for winning races, total team support if you go to a main national event and alot of feedback. www.specmiata.com and you'll agree with me

Registered Member

Yes | No

Yo Paesan, thanks for the feedback. I think I may

<br>MHM3

2003 M3 SMG
    1999 M3
    1989 M3
    1984 325e
    x-2001 M3 convertible

2003 M3 Coupe
    Brembo Gran Turismos
    BBS CH 19's
    NAV-TV, DVD changer

Registered Member
    Member No: 21311 Paesan is an unknown quantity at this point Paesan's Avatar

Yes | No

you welcome

If you come to the VIR school let me know. I'll be there crewing for two miatas. Come over and say hi

Registered Member

Yes | No

i\'m already signed up for MidOhio that weekend.

<br>MHM3

2003 M3 SMG
    1999 M3
    1989 M3
    1984 325e
    x-2001 M3 convertible

2003 M3 Coupe
    Brembo Gran Turismos
    BBS CH 19's
    NAV-TV, DVD changer

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information