+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 85787 harv7 is an unknown quantity at this point harv7's Avatar

Yes | No

how do you bleed coolant?

I recently flushed and replaced coolant for my e38. I keep reading that I need to "bleed the system". Can any one give me a clue as to how I do this? I've been checking the resivor and adding fluid if needed everyday for about 4 days after I flushed it. I'm kinda thinking this bleed the system thing may be important! the engine temp runs at about 102C during city driving. Is this normal? should I change thermalstat?
    thanks for any advice !

Registered Member
    Member No: 46441 sealbeach740 is an unknown quantity at this point sealbeach740's Avatar

Yes | No

102C sounds normal based on previous

posts. There is a bleed screw (I think on the expansion tank) that you can use to bleed the air out. Maybe someone else will be able to provide more details for you.

<== Steptronic Sam
    2000 740iS, oxford green/tan 42k
    1995 525i, also oxford green/tan 123k

Registered Member
    Member No: 55723 99bmw740il is an unknown quantity at this point 99bmw740il's Avatar

Yes | No

102c sounds kinda low for the m62? norm for v12

Navigation Sys, Motorola Cell,
    5% Limo Tint All around, JL 500.1 amp,
    2 Eclipse 88121's, Clear Lights,

Registered Member
    Member No: 90892 elliottw is an unknown quantity at this point elliottw's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: how do you bleed coolant?

The bleeder for the system is right of the cover for the cooling resovoir. The screw, philips, can be opened when the car is warm. The manaual says that you should turn on the heater, to get fluid through the whole system, run at moderate speed, I did it at 1 to 2 K on the tach.

While idling use a long screw driver to open the relieve valve and let the steam out. This will relieve the gas and allow you to refill the system. Make sure that you have released the pressure or cooled the car before opening the filler cap.

Hope this helps.

Registered Member
    Member No: 85787 harv7 is an unknown quantity at this point harv7's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 102c sounds kinda low for the m62? norm for v12

Thanks all for the help! This board is a great place !!!

Registered Member
    Member No: 36549 GaryIF is an unknown quantity at this point GaryIF's Avatar

Yes | No

Here\'s how it\'s done

At the risk of repeating some of what's been provided already, here you go. I just replaced the expansion tank on my '97 740i and had the benefit of watching the dealer do the bleeding process a few years ago when my radiator was replaced under warrenty.

1. The thermostat for the e38's is 102 degrees celsius. So, you're getting the right temperature reading.
    2. With the engine running, set the climate control to the maximum heat temperature. You can set the fan to the lowest speed. The goal is to ensure the coolant is passing through the entire system, dictated by the temperature setting, not fan setting.
    3. Remove the radiator cap.
    4. Remove the bleed screw located in front of the radiator cap. A wide blade screwdriver or quarter will do the trick.
    5. Slowly add coolant (50/50 mixture -- phosphate free!) until the red level stick rises to the top of the opening.
    6. Monitor the coolant level (red stick), adding coolant as needed.
    7. Air in the system is released out of the bleed screw opening.
    8. As the bleeding nears completion, coolant will begin to run out the bleed screw opening. Don't close things up yet! It can take a few more minutes for all the air to fully bleed out of the system. Allow the seepage to continue until there are no further air bubbles or "burps" at the bleed screw opening. A few modest revs of the engine (no more than 1,000 or so RPMs) helps speed the process a bit.
    9. Be patient, to be completely environmentally careful, have a pan or something underneath catching the coolant run off.
    10. Once the system is fully bled, install the bleed screw. It's plastic and has a rubber o-ring gasket so it tighten it accordingly (hand tight; again, a quarter can get it more than tight enough).
    11. Give the expansion tank a final top off, install the radiator cap.
    12. Allow the system to cool completely (overnight) and give the coolant level one final check. You may need to add a bit more coolant for the level indicator to be at the proper height. Alternatively, the experts know exactly how much to overfill the expansion tank so that they don't have to do this follow-up check.

You're done. Good luck.

Registered Member
    Member No: 59394 davidc2 is an unknown quantity at this point davidc2's Avatar

Yes | No

Good post! You made the list on e38.org!

In the "Maintenance" category.

David Cecil
    '97 740iL, 113k miles
    '86 735i, 91k miles

www.e38.org has links for everything about your 7-series E38 and E23.

74T

Yes | No

Mine is running at 106-110c. Is that OK? (inside)

The radiator was replaced at the dealer last week under warranty. Of course, they didn't change the thermostat. Can I insist that they change since it is running at 106-110c now?

Excel

Yes | No

The temprature range is fine....

Make sure the "check coolant level" light does not come on..... Or you have air in the system....

Registered Member
    Member No: 98256 ALCOLE is an unknown quantity at this point ALCOLE's Avatar

Yes | No

NO HEAT, ITS BLOWING BUT ONLY COOL AIR

HEY GUYS IM NEW HERE JUST BOUGHT 97 740IL IN OCT AND I HAVE A COUPLE PROBLEMS. FIRST MY HEAT IS NOT WORKING, I WAS TOLD IT WAS THE THERMOSTAT SO I REPLCED THAT BUT STILL NO HEAT, I CHECKED THE HEATER CORE NO PROBLEMS THERE, AND I WAS TOLD THE AC CONTOLR UNIT WAS BAD BUT I HAVEN'T SEEN ANY POST REGARDING THE CONTROL UNIT SO I WAS HOPING SOMEONE HAD THE ANSWER. SECOND. MY KEYLESS ENTRY STOPPED WORKING, IVE TRIED TO INITIALIZE THE KEY BUT TO NO AVAIL CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME WITH MY FINE PIECE OF MACHINERY.

rkoors

Yes | No

Re: Here's how it's done

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information