+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 80763 akshatp is an unknown quantity at this point akshatp's Avatar

Yes | No

Replacing Speakers on 1997 740iL NonDSP

I am looking at the Polk Audio db6500 to replace the speakers in the front doors.

The Polk audio ones are component set, so my question is this. Will the 6.5" woofer and the accompanying tweeter fit in their respective positions?

Also, is hte existing crossover built into the amp, or is it somewhere in the door where i can remove it and replace it with the Polk one?

Does anyone recommend not using factory amp with aftermarket speakers? Im lost with all this and am not even sure of the speaker sizes in the door.

Someone please help!

I also want to change the rear deck and rear door speakers, but want to tackel this first. If someone has sizes for all the speakers i would appreciate it. The sound in my E34 sounds way better than my E38 and i cant have that.

1991 525i mtech - grey
    1997 740iL stock - black
    2001 M5 - orient
    2002 525i stock (for now) - silver

Registered Member
    Member No: 59863 nadeemw is an unknown quantity at this point nadeemw's Avatar

Yes | No

You are right, I feel just the same

Me too.

Trying to achieve at least the same if not better as in my 93 525i. Strange and surprising that my 1997 735iL does not sound close to a 10 years old and smaller car.

i think that front doors have woofers and mid rangers and there are no tweeters. That crispy sound is missing.

Moreover, i also heared that BMW has more than just one type of amplifier. i am going to check type of amp in my E34 and also E38, recommend you to do same and then compare. It might be good idea to check by swaping amps. (after confirming compaitibility).

Please let also me know if you have more information on this.

Thanks

Nadeem

Registered Member
    Member No: 87575 jyep is an unknown quantity at this point jyep's Avatar

Yes | No

Speaker sizes

The following is info from a previous post; hope this helps!

Speakers and location:

The front doors have a three way system. Each front door has three speakers as follows: 1) 5.25" Mid-Bass; 1) mid-range; and 1) tweeter. The front mid-range and tweeter are in the same opening, at the top, forward part of the door. So, the front doors have 6 speakers total.

The rear doors are a two-way setup. The same 5.25" mid-bass; and 1) tweeter. Total rear door spks are 4. All 4 doors have a total of 10 speakers (6+4).

If your E38 has DSP, the remaining 4 speakers are subwoofers mounted in the rear deck. (6 front doors + 4 rear doors + 4 rear deck = 14 speakers).

Registered Member
    Member No: 76168 thorning is an unknown quantity at this point thorning's Avatar

Yes | No

Your email got kicked back to me

I will buy you passenger front door speaker if you go through with this.
    TH 95-740i

Registered Member
    Member No: 85976 95740inGA is an unknown quantity at this point 95740inGA's Avatar

Yes | No

Where is the amp, search didn't work TIA

Unregistered

Yes | No

Amp wires

Do either off you know what wire color's are hot and ground for the stock amp hooking a new stereo but not getting any sound out somebody ripped steroa out so don't know what wires are hot and ground to the amp found wires for stereo.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 50.43.85.66

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information