+ Reply to Thread
    Grant

Yes | No

what years to avoid?

I'm thinking of purchasing a 911. I can only afford around ten thousand dollars. I have seen several 911s from the mid to late '70's in the six to ten thousand dollar range. I have heard that the '74 to '80 models should be avoided. Is this true? What years should I look for. This will be a weekend car, possibly looking into amature racing. Thank you for your advice.

Murph

Yes | No

Re: what years to avoid?

There aren't really any models to absolutely avoid...but there are some well-documented "issues" that you may have to deal with on any model you choose. I think you are referring to the 2 or 3 engine heat-related problems expeerienced by many of the 2.7L cars. This is a real issue, but can be addressed by a knowledgable porsche mechanic. The most serious of these issues is the "head stud pulling" problem where basically due to overheating, the expansion of the cylinder heads would sometimes cause the head studs to pull out of the engine cases. This problem was addressed somewhat by the factory in late 77, by going to Dilivar Head Studs, and any reputable Porsche mechanic will use Dilivar Studs when rebuilding a 2.7L motor. The Dilivars don't solve the high operating temperature of the 2.7L cars, just one of the problems it can cause, so I recommend that all 2.7L cars have either a late-model OEM oil cooler (with fan) or a Turbatrol (by Lemke design) oil cooler installed.(I live in the South) Another issue to check out in the pre 84 cars is whether they have been upgraded with hydraulic cam chain tensioners. Again, all knowledgeable Porsche mecahnics perform this upgrade anytime they have the case covers off the engine. Basically, I believe the 911 were improved every model year in terms of mechanical, and structural refinement. The issues of each model are very well documented, as are the recommended "fixes". I recommend you check out Bruce Anderson's "Porsche 911 Performance Handbook" He gives a very good overview of all aspects of nearly every model 911 as well as high-performance tuning/modifications.

Anyway, hope this helps somewhat.

Murph

Yes | No

Re: what years to avoid?

Another thing I meant to mention that gets a lot of attention is the famous "exploding clutch" of the 79 and 80 model SCs. In 79 a new clutch disc hub was used, I think to eliminate gear noise, at any rate the hub was made of rubber. After X amount of miles the rubber tended to disintegrate causeing clutch failure in many early SCs. This clutch hub was replaced by the factory sometime in 80'...it's unlikely any 79 or 80 models are using the original clutch, so this may not be a serious consideration...but it's worth asking if you're shopping. BTW the SCs have proven to be possibly the most rugged and long-lasting engines of the 911 series..great cars!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information