+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 94284 typo623 is an unknown quantity at this point typo623's Avatar

Yes | No

Question on Snow Tires

I just purchased a new 2003 BMW 330i, my first bimmer, with the Performance Package.

The car comes with 18" wheels (225x40x18 fronts, and 255x35x18 rears), and I plan to purchase snow tires (Blizzak LM 22's). They are suggesting I put 17" snows (225x45x17 all around). Can anyone tell me if this makes sense? I always thought that if a car came with a certain size tire that you should put the same size snows. It does make sense however to put the 17's, since the tires will be a bit narrower and having the same size for bad weather..

Any thoughts, should I use the 17's or should I go with what came with the car?? I realize I will have to also buy 17" rims, BMW recommends that if you plan to use snows have them mounted on separate rims.

Thanks for your help..
    typo623

Registered Member
    Member No: 56028 alevy is an unknown quantity at this point alevy's Avatar

Yes | No

Makes perfect sense.. goto www.tirerack.com

or call them and speak to Jim extention 364

-Alex Levy

03 Alpine White M3
    Cinnamon Leather / Aluminum Trim
    SMG / Nav / Xenons

Alex Argyros

Yes | No

Agree with Mr. Levy...100%

Registered Member
    Member No: 94284 typo623 is an unknown quantity at this point typo623's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: How the Question Came Up

The reason I asked the question, is because I had called TireRack on Friday and I spoke to Gil, he suggested I go with what came on the car. I called my BMW salesperson and he said to go with the 17's, on tirerack if you look at what the sites recommends it is the 17's.. Thanks for your help
    typo623

michaelgvh

Yes | No

17s or even 16s.....

The narrower tire is going to make a big difference in whether your car cuts through the snow or hops up on top of it. You decide which is more desirable.

Tirerack offers some snow package deals where they put rims and tires together. Or you can get some cheap used rims on various sites like here at roadfly classifieds and bimmerforums and turner, and then buy the rubber to put on them.

I suggest you get separate rims too. You can do it relatively inexpensively and it will save you in tire and rim wear in the long run. Every time you get your tires changed for the season, you add wear to the rims. It's really not very good for them.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information