+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Margaret

Yes | No

Cayenne snow handling problems!!!

Since I bought my Porsche Cayenne, a month ago, I've been having ABS and PSM problems!. I've been taking my 2004 car to the dealership since I got it. Living in the Northeast I had the opportunity to try this car on yesterday's snow storm.
    I got stuck twice in a very very small snow pile when, a 15k car in front of me (not even an SUV) got thru, No Problem!!!!

I would like to know if enyone is experiencing the same problems.

Your thoughtful input is well appreciated.

Registered Member
    Member No: 77650 mudditt is an unknown quantity at this point mudditt's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Cayenne snow handling problems!!!

Margaret,

No matter what the situation is, the laws of physics still apply. You cannot power your way through, you must be gentle with it, no severe actions and never to fast that 5500 Lbs cannot stop slowly.

Driving in snow is all to do with the drivers actions no matter what the cars capabity or price tag.

Did you read the manual about drivimg in snow ?

What size wheeks and what tires do you have ?

Sorry you had a problem

Mike

Registered Member
    Member No: 73910 pdxjim is an unknown quantity at this point pdxjim's Avatar

Yes | No

Should be NO problem if you have snow tires on the truck.

Registered Member
    Member No: 28370 DCfromCapeCod is an unknown quantity at this point DCfromCapeCod's Avatar

Yes | No

Exactly...snow tires for snow.

AWD doesn't mean crap without traction.

torags

Yes | No

I haven\'t but..+

my wife has. I think it's a girl thing (i couldn't help myself - is she listening?).

Seriously, that's why they produce snow tires - for those special conditions. The M&S tires really don't get the job (traction) done.

Registered Member
    Member No: 84850 pred8or is an unknown quantity at this point pred8or's Avatar

Yes | No

Yep having the same problems. I have the 18' Bridgestone Turanza. They are like slicks . Very embarassing. Buying the Dunlop grandtreck M2 tomorrow.

Registered Member
    Member No: 82111 yrabin is an unknown quantity at this point yrabin's Avatar

Yes | No

I disagree with all the replies protecting the Cayenne and blaming us the drivers!

I have posted elsewhere a comment on this issue - but I'll say it again. My wife's normal-tires-Honda-Accord is handling snow FAR better than my TT Cayenne with the Bridgestones.

I accept that tires should make a difference but I can't accept that my TT performs far worse than my M3 (rear wheel drive for those unfamiliar) our Accord or my old Jeep Grand C.

I am most certainly going to ask my dealer for explanations why was my car equiped in the first place with such inadequate tires, and I think you should do the same Margaret.

LCC

Yes | No

Re: should we lock the central differential?

Registered Member
    Member No: 28370 DCfromCapeCod is an unknown quantity at this point DCfromCapeCod's Avatar

Yes | No

Vehicle means nothing - it is all about the tires.

Your Cayenne got the tires it did because it must be equipped with tires that meet a certain speed rating....this limits the options.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Can't hurt....just unlock it when snow is gone.

HaydenOne

Yes | No

Margaret...

While I'm in touch with my feminine side I suppose, I don't think snow problems with the Cayenne is a girl thing. I think it's a tire thing. I got stuck in my own unplowed driveway three times today despite my total confidence in the Turbo's clearance and my own balletic perfection with the pedals -- and trying every combination of linkage. I have the stock 18" Pirellis based on my dealer saying they were better for snow than the 20" tires I was considering. Even when we dug (with a shovel) all the way down to dirt to clear a path, I had a helluva time getting traction. My friend with a 2WD Ford pickup had no problem.

Very interested in what specific problems you've been having with the PSM and ABS systems.

Steve

Registered Member
    Member No: 82111 yrabin is an unknown quantity at this point yrabin's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Vehicle means nothing - it is all about the tires.

As hard as I try - I don't get it!

I can certainly understand that tires are made for totally different usage characteristics - hence we get snow tires, all-weather etc..

What I just can't get - and I admit to ignorance and stupidity (if you like) is how a rear wheel drive car with tires designed for anything but snow behaves in snow BETTER than an SUV (4wd) with all weather tires on it. Just can't get it!

I may also not be the world's best driver - but I drive equally well (or bad) on both cars! So rule out the human factor too!

Bottom line: the issue I have is why do I have an over $100k truck that's been equiped with UNSUITABLE tires! Unsuitable - aparently - for anything.

btw - if you scan through this forum you'll find the Bridgestones "starring" in many complaints.......

torags

Yes | No

For starters: You have a 5,000lb vehicle; +

The other cars with two wheel drive are a lot less & that means a lot when climbing with limited traction, thats Physics 101.

Your truck can go 160mph & that requires a special tire. In snow with roads below freezing the speed limit is usually 30 - that requires a special tire, that what happens when you live near Canada.

You might like to restrain your indignance when you go to your dealer...

John Hunt

Yes | No

Re: For starters: You have a 5,000lb vehicle; +

But in our normal driving we are much much much more likely to encounter snow, or heavy rain, or mud, then we will see 160mph. In fact I would question if ANYONE in the USA has taken there Cayenne to 160mph. OTOH I'll bet lots are in the snow or back country.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: For starters: You have a 5,000lb vehicle; +

This might help...

Best tire for snow is a very narrow tire with a tread designed for snow and cold weather.

Worst tire is very wide with non-snow tire.

Guess what is on the Cayenne.

The other cars probably have better tires for snow (worse for performance) and are narrower than yours - thus putting their weight on a smaller footprint and getting down to the street under the snow.

Registered Member

Yes | No

So put different tires on it...

If Porsche did that and you drove 160MPH and the (lower speed rated but better for snow) tires blew out than they would be sued.

This is America...can you blame them?

John Hunt

Yes | No

Re: So put different tires on it...

Speed limiters would solve that. All the companies use them. In the fact the Veyron even has one, if you want to exceed 185 you have to notify the factory and sign a release, then they remove the limiter (and put good tires on the car).

mdriscoll

Yes | No

Please name the exact tire and size?Thanks(nt)

Chris

Yes | No

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: So put different tires on it...

People would rather have the top speed...most realize that you use different tires for different purposes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information