+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 96499 rwok is an unknown quantity at this point rwok's Avatar

Yes | No

tech questions

I am a B.M.W.Tech in Charlottesville Va. and I don't have all the answers but I may be able to help some of ya'll out. I'll check this string from time to time and if I can offer some helpfull advice I would be more than happy to do so

Registered Member
    Member No: 44044 rob_ace is an unknown quantity at this point rob_ace's Avatar

Yes | No

rick is the man. good lookin' out bro.

88 750iL_____________97 328iC kompressor

BMW CCA# 187148
    01 Vmax (Vmoa #1480)

Registered Member
    Member No: 89831 oiseaux is an unknown quantity at this point oiseaux's Avatar

Yes | No

Rick, Thank You. Very kind!

'82 733i 5-spd

'93 850CiA

BimmerShifter since '69

Bill Rowe

Yes | No

Re: tech questions

Whee are you located in Charlottesville; I assume you recommend yourself? I'm in Madison on the weekends, will retire there in about a year, and what to establish a working relationship with a good shop for a Z4.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Well Bill in Charlottesville you only have 2 good options one is the dealer and the other is us.Blue Ridge Motor Works. We have a couple of customers with the new land sharks. If you happen to be in town stop by and check us out. If I can help you with a question or problem I'd be happy to do it.

Registered Member
    Member No: 39390 Edgeman is an unknown quantity at this point Edgeman's Avatar

Yes | No

Please do me a favor and not call the Z4 a "shark"

The only true shark is the E-24!

Sharks rule baby!!!!! The Bangled car is a poser!

Cheers!
    John
    85 M635CSi
    88 M3

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Please do me a favor and not call the Z4 a

I agree that the only true land shark is the e-24 (go to my website and look at my e-24 www.villwockauto.com )I have an 88 l6-635csi with a 5spd hows that for rare? I do however have give the shark nickname even in jest to the z4 because it does look like one. But on the other hand my wifes Miata is somewhat sharklike as well. LONG LIVE THE E-24

Registered Member
    Member No: 55926 lyrixg is an unknown quantity at this point lyrixg's Avatar

Yes | No

thank u Boss

sean angle

Yes | No

i was wandering wat is the duration on the OEM 318is cam(M42).??

Rick (rwok) Villwock
    Member No: Rick (rwok) Villwock's Avatar

Yes | No

I own a 92 318is with an m42 in it and it has over 175k on it. I have seen these engines with over 300k and still kicking. The trick to longevity is proper oil maintanance as with any engine. I recomend castrol 20w50 and change it every 3k without exception or excuses. These engines are almost bulit proof with the exception of the profile gasket(junk). you will know when it goes bad because the ac compressor will leak antifreeze. When it happens you will know what I mean.
    If you are inquiring about duration as in lift and duration I will have to look into that. I do know that the duration is very short however the lift is rather high for a B.M.W. This is done in an attempt to build torque from a small engine.
    If you want specs. either post a response or e-mail me at [email protected] and I will find out for you.
    rwok
    p.s.
    retard your exhaust cam 4deg. advance your intake cam 2deg. your car won't idle very well but it will turn up quickly

Registered Member
    Member No: 104272 mcmahon is an unknown quantity at this point mcmahon's Avatar

Yes | No

Rick
    I have a 97 528i with 79000 i am getting the ck engine light with fault code p1423 secondary air flow low bank 1 any help would be great
    Thnaks mac

rwok

Yes | No

secondary airflow bank 1? are we not sure it's not 02 sensor bank one. Ordinarly secondary air problems arn't spesific to a cylinder bank. Who pulled the code from the dme for you? You may indeed have a secondary air problem (it's fairly comon with these cars) but when it becomes spefific to a bank it is very rare. Just working on my expierance with these cars I would be inclined to not suspect the air pump (since the rainy season hasn't hit yet) and lean more towards the o2 sensor (both should be replaced as a pair). any aditional info you can offer about the vehicle will help greatly in passing on advice.
    Rwok

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information