+ Reply to Thread
    Hugo

Yes | No

Toby, can you make an educated guess again?

Or anyone else, of course!

This time I found a T3 from a Volvo diesel in a junkyard:
    Inlet A/R = 0,42
    Exhaust A/R = 0,36
    Is this anything useful? How do I determine wheel size?

Thanks,

Hugo

Kris

Yes | No

Are you sure that's not .86 AR instead of .36..

Diesels almost always have a much larger AR exhaust housing... .42 AR intake is a good start.. now all you need to do is order a t3 rebuild kit.. and a new exhaust turbine and AR housing.. you can call most turbo stores and have them piece you one together cheap... they sell a video "how to rebuild a t3" for like $15 and they only take about an hour to rebuild excluding time to mess with rusted crap bolts..

Hugo

Yes | No

If only we had turbo-stores in the Netherlands..

So far, I've only located Turbo overhaul companies who throw down the phone when you ask anything beyond a straight overhaul. Can anyone advise a reputable turbo-store which will sell overseas?

Hugo

Kris

Yes | No

then just buy new then...

I have a t3-t4hybrid with a t3 stage 3 .63 ar exhaust wheel and a to4e 57 trim compressor.. will make an 02 scream... I like for the turbo to take a while to spool and hit like a hammer... looks like that

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33742&item=2448505691

if you plan on putting a spec on it.. then just order new.. junk yard turbos that have been sitting almost always need new seals.. or possibly a rebuild.. you can snag a generic t3 over here for about $250 US..

Hugo

Yes | No

Hmmm, I\'ve seen the e-bay offer, but

I pay every dollar about twice before I get anything shipped over here and through customs. Bummer. But, today I visited a small 2 men company far from my house (60 miles, that far in my country, stop laughing!) They were advised to my by one of the big overhaul companies. They will trade in my JY diesel T3 and for 500 more euros they will build me any spec T3. Now all I have to do is come up with the spec. A fellow BMW 02 fan and experienced turbo man already mailed me I should use .48 turbine housing and a .60 compressor housing. I've asked him for the compressor diameter as well, I 'm sure he'll tell me. But if you have other (tested) advice, please tell me! The goal is (still) 200+bhp from my 2 liter M10, using Megasquirt'nEDIS EFI and spark control.

Hugo

Kris

Yes | No

That\'s a good setup for 200HP...

But don't expect to go much further.. you will prob get maybe 235max out of that depending on intercooler as the turbo will soon reach it's efficency limit.. my setup is for around 300+ and like the article says.. "top end turbo" that sux about customs.. can I buy one.. ship it to you.. mark it as gift with value of $50 to help you out? my tested advice comes from alot of friends who have turbocharged 2L vehicles with 7grandish redlines... mostly rice cars but they scoot for what they are... enjoy and good luck on the project...

Hugo

Yes | No

Kris, could you drop me an e-mail? Thanx.

Hugo

Yes | No

BTW, what's 'generic'? My knowledge runs out here.

Registered Member
    Member No: 78261 Toby_B is an unknown quantity at this point Toby_B's Avatar

Yes | No

Nope! I\'m outa education!

but I'm with Kris on this one-
    that's a darned small exhaust housing.

Unlike Kris, my limited turbo experience is with street motors, and relatively high compression (8+:1). I've got a .60/.63 t3 on 2L, and so far, it seems like a reasonable match. But this is for a street car and an almost stock engine. 200hp- maybe with a tailwind on a cold day!

I forget what your intended application was?

t

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information