+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 33756 captdaddy is an unknown quantity at this point captdaddy's Avatar

Yes | No

Manual Boost Control

I have been reading about boost controllers and have seen many different typse up for auction. The prices have ranged from 10 to 300 bucks, depending on the level of sophistication. I have also read about going to Home Depot and building one from scratch. The principle seems simple enough to me and I could put one together in 20 minutes...but is this a smart thing to do? Has anyone here built their own? Or does anyone have any suggestions or opinions to offer up?

Kris

Yes | No

MBC vs Greddy Profec vs Apexi

The home depot MBC's are a ball and spring one... you can put it together for about $10 in parts.. you can buy one on ebay with hoses.. clamps.. and other stuff for about $20 and be done with it :) Now there are difference in electronic ones.. as they can have "gear specific" boost.. (to eliminate wheel spin) have turbo timmer functions.. do 0-60 times.. 1/4 mile times.. display injector duty cycle.. all sorts of cool stuff.. you can also ride around on 7lbs of boost and then beat the snot out of the kid next to you at 14lbs.. adjustable from in car... as for quickness they offer a marginally better resistance to boost creep so take your pick.. they add alot of flash for a medium ammount of cash considering what turbo stuff costs

Registered Member
    Member No: 44619 claylake is an unknown quantity at this point claylake's Avatar

Yes | No

Here's mine

An ebay special. I would say make your own and ditto what Kris wrote.

Registered Member
    Member No: 70764 witsenburg is an unknown quantity at this point witsenburg's Avatar

Yes | No

Found on e-bay, (how) does it work?

I've found these offered on e-bay. Does it work, how does it work, how is it installed? Anyone have one of these?

Thanks,

Hugo

Registered Member
    Member No: 15886 Y2KMcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point Y2KMcoupe's Avatar

Yes | No

Simple controllable T-fitting ... (more)

I had a similar set-up on my
    '85 Omni "GLH Turbo" (aka "The Fly-N-Box") that dipped into the 12's. Mine was controllable from inside the car. All it is is a simple T-fitting with a variable bleed-valve that allows you to bleed the pressure coming from the wastegate. A lot of guys just went to the pet store and made their manual controller using a plastic aquarium valve. Depending on how much you turn the valve, it "tricks" your current boost controller into thinking it needs more boost before reaching the pre-set boost shut-off point, and therefore allowing more boost.

With ANY bleed, manual or electronic, the danger (as you boost fanatics should know) is too much boost for the air/fuel ratio you're runnin'. Some type of fuel enhancement should be added. I had Turbo GroupFueler on my GLH, plus and MSD Boost-Timing-Master (BTM) that would retard the spark if the octane wasn't sufficient. I had an EGT gauge to track exhaust temps. Octane boost additive and/or race gas was also used. If you don't have one or more of these preventatives before bumping the boost, you could be saying good-bye to those pretty BMW pistons! fyi

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information