+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 29165 puce is an unknown quantity at this point puce's Avatar

Yes | No

Cold engine smoking...?

Hi!

Just few days ago finished my e34 527 turbo. Of course there are some things to do but at least I can drive it now. But I'm having a problem. In the mornings when engine is totaly cold there are kind of white smoke coming out of the tail pipe. And it smells like burned oil. When engine is warm there are no such things coming out.. Could someone guess what the problem is? Maybe turbo is leaking oil?

Thanks,
    J.K.jr.bad.J.K.jr.bad.
    BMW 527TiS '89
    BMW 316 e21 '82

Registered Member
    Member No: 24687 jmusubi is an unknown quantity at this point jmusubi's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Cold engine smoking...?

that's somewhat common for m10's showing their old age/high mileage=leaky valve seals.
    oil slowly leaks onto the valves & sometimes into the combustion chamber after u shut off the car and let it cool...and right when u start the car up, that oil burns off immedately. i don't think a leaky turbo would cause burnt oil smoke to emerge immedately after u start the car.

if u pull ur spark plugs when the engine is cold, ur likely to find oil over at least one of them.

Registered Member
    Member No: 29165 puce is an unknown quantity at this point puce's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Cold engine smoking...?

Hi in new year!

Less than couple years ago I changed valve seals. Actualy this problem started after turbo was for some time on. When I took it away there was no such problem...

Also car suffers from bad response on throttle from idle. It tries to choke... Any one knwos the cause?

J.J.K.jr.bad.
    BMW 527TiS '89
    BMW 316 e21 '82

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information