+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 93819 bmw_m_320i is an unknown quantity at this point bmw_m_320i's Avatar

Yes | No

Higher CR and less boost, or Low CR and More Boost

I know that normally you want to lower the CR for a turbo engine to run higher boost, But would work better to have a higher CR and have Less Boost, making the engine more efficient? My Plan is to get my Hands on either an E30 M3 S14 head or a 318is DOHC 4valve and put it on my E21 M10 Block, Raise the CR to about 10:1 or 11:1 Custom make a Larger Volume Inake Manifold, And Run MegaSquirt, and some form of an Aftermarket Electronic Ignition. I just need you guys opinion of what turbo and boost I should Run with high compression. I of course plan on using an Intercooler, and Water injection. Everything is in the Planning stages right now. I'm Builing up an e21 from a bare Chassis up, So I'm wanting to do As Much as possible to the car.

Registered Member
    Member No: 70764 witsenburg is an unknown quantity at this point witsenburg's Avatar

Yes | No

High CR, high boost, run alcohol / methanol

Or regular gas, I think you won't be able to force feed in much more at 11:1 CR. BTW, I seriously doubt the 318is head (M42 engine) will fit the M10 block. It is a development of the M40 engine, not of the M10. And for the S14 head, why not get the entire S14 engine, then? Has been done succesfully and the block has proven to cope, even with a turbo on it. Last but not least, if you're going Megasquirt, go Megasquirt'nEDIS. It includes the fully programmable ignition so you don't need that separately.
    And what's the goal of building the car? Racing, fast streetcar? What hp target are you setting for youselve?
    Regards,
    Hugo

Registered Member
    Member No: 93819 bmw_m_320i is an unknown quantity at this point bmw_m_320i's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: High CR, high boost, run alcohol / methanol

I wasnt sure if the 318is head was based off of the m10, But I thought it might have been because it was itroduced on the e30 chassis. I was leaning to just gettin the S14 head because I'm planing on building both the intake and exhaust manifolds, and I'm puttting megasuirt on there, So I'm basically wanting to build the engine, thats why I'm not going with a complete m3 engine. The MegaSquirt site doesnt seem to mention much about the EDIS setup, where can I get more info on that, and what do Prices run for the complete kit?. My goal is for a fast Streetcar, But built and designed like a race car. If possible I want to be running in the 300-400hp after having a turbo

Registered Member
    Member No: 70764 witsenburg is an unknown quantity at this point witsenburg's Avatar

Yes | No

Here\'s MS\'nEDIS link and some more....

But getting 300 hp from the M10 is quite a lot. Here's some examples:
    http://koti.mbnet.fi/mikkiz/index1.htm
    http://www.madmagnus.com/
    And there are more, mostly Scandinavian folks blowing the M10 to extremes.

Please keep us posted with pics etc.

Hugo

Registered Member

Yes | No

BTW, do a search on 'BMW M10'. Lots of info.....

Registered Member

Yes | No

And more!

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Here\'s MS\'nEDIS link and some more....

I'll keep everyone posted. I'll be getting the chassis next month, and start on this whole thing. I'm still deciding on what engine I'll be using. I might be using the E36 318is engine, if not that I'm gonna use the S14 head

Registered Member

Yes | No

Go with the 318is and a little lowered CR.

It's a really underestimated engine, well suited for tuning. If you're going to rebuild, get lowered CR pistons. The link is for a piston supplier I have used. But feel free to shop around, of course.

Hugo

Registered Member
    Member No: 37678 jbimmin is an unknown quantity at this point jbimmin's Avatar

Yes | No

about the s14 head

i have looked into this topic a little bit. The s14 head will "physically" bolt on the the m10 block .... but from what i understand a lot of work is required to make the timing chain work not to mention the coolant and oil flow ports apparently do not match up so putting the s14 head on the m10 would be no easy task. You might want to search the e21 board about this i know there is info on it. you may also want to get in touch with Paul on the e21 board i think he has looked into this and he knows the ins and outs of a turbo m10Jared
    custom '82 320i

Registered Member
    Member No: 100006 9kturbo is an unknown quantity at this point 9kturbo's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Higher CR and less boost, or Low CR and More Boost

I am running 10.5:1 with 8lbs of boost in my 1990 9000 turbo and its working great. Keep the timing retarded more than you otherwise (im 16 deg btdc ret to/13 deg max boost, ezk ign) would and run the highest octane street fuel available. Also, lean condition is very very bad not just very bad in this situation, i am running rich to the point of afterfire because i want to sell the car at some point and dont need pitted internals.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information