+ Reply to Thread
    vnc

Yes | No

New Texas Traffic Laws - link

Here is a link to the new Texas traffic laws. Notice especially SB 193. The speed limit drops 20MPH in the lane closest to a stopped police car or other "emergency" vehicle with the lights on.

vc

Austin TX (MCoupe)

Yes | No

Re: New Texas Traffic Laws - link

Question - which traffic law pertains to "continuous observation” during a traffic stop? For example, you have a cop standing on an overpass with a radar gun radioing to several cop cars strategically positioned down the highway. In some states (Oklahoma for example), cops can't get away with this because they (by law) have to have the vehicle in question under observation throughout the entire traffic stop.

Registered Member
    Member No: 77877 musclecoupes is an unknown quantity at this point musclecoupes's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: New Texas Traffic Laws - link

A lot of people have been unhappy with the new laws. The one that has caused the most confusion is the license plate visibility law. That law just serves as an example of two things. Those things are legislators who do not carefully review laws before passing them and also what happens when you allow police to interpret the laws.

Frissen

Yes | No

Will see how it works

because I don't really see slowing down that much on Houston's freeways, if you do you are putting yourself at risk of being hit in the back.

Registered Member
    Member No: 77877 musclecoupes is an unknown quantity at this point musclecoupes's Avatar

Yes | No

Amen to that

It's no different in Dallas. If you go the limit you're going to be rear-ended.

Registered Member
    Member No: 26682 bm75204 is an unknown quantity at this point bm75204's Avatar

Yes | No

Like 55 on the Tollway? Now that\'s a death wish!

2003 BMW 540i 6-speed ~ Sterling Gray/Black
    Dallas, Texas (Uptown)
    M5 Bumpers w/Style-37 18" M-Parallel Wheels
    Digital Sound ~ Sunshades ~ 30% Window Tint
    Dinan Stage I Performance Engine Software
    Eisenmann Exhaust ~ Hardwired Valentine 1 Radar
    CDVectomy ~ UUC Short Shifter ~ M5 Rear Sway Bar
    Laguna Beach License Plate Frame (hometown)

Retired:
    2004 Maybach 62 (50 Cent made me an offer I couldn't refuse...LOL)
    2001 BMW 530i Steptronic
    2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 5-speed
    1997 Mercedes-Benz SL500 AMG Sport
    1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8 4x4
    2000 BMW 328Ci 5-speed
    1993 Mercedes-Benz 400E
    1987 BMW 325 5-speed coupe (first car, sparked the Roundel fever)

Registered Member

Yes | No

Yeah

I was there last week and there was an old woman in a Buick going about 50. She almost caused several accidents. Ironically she was the only one who was driving in a legal fashion - but she was the one most likely to cause an accident!

Registered Member

Yes | No

A note about the Tollway for future use...

You might see Dallas Police (and others) using it, but they don't have any jurisdiction on the Tollway since it's a private road. Only the State Troopers can issue citations, though a Dallas cop could pull you over and detain you if you were really misbehaving. I was cruising near 100 recently when a Lamborghini Countach (blast from the past!) sailed by me like I was standing still. We call it the "North Dallas Autobahn" for good reason!

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: A note about the Tollway for future use...

This is a very useful piece of information. I only drive there when I visit the area from Lubbock, but who knows - that little FYI may come in handy someday!

Registered Member
    Member No: 94465 mcchris is an unknown quantity at this point mcchris's Avatar

Yes | No

Watch the hills, though...

...you can't see beyond the hills when you're in the gulleys. I was driving it last week in off hours and noticed some fairly long tire marks that started near the crest of a hill and extended from the fast lane into the center lane. I can only imagine the look on the driver's face when he saw whatever it was on the otherside of that hill. Must have crapped his pants.

Not that our magic cars would have necessarily saved the day, but it should be noted that guy was probably pushing things past where they should have been pushed by allowing himself to get in that position without anti-lock breaks.

2003 Z4 2.5 Black/Beige/Beige, Con/Prem/Sport, SMG, Xenon, Prem Sound

Registered Member

Yes | No

Absolutely right..one of the big rules of speeding

Or ticket-free speeding, I should add. I just returned from a 4000-mile trip and slowing down as I approached the crest of hills saved me a couple of times. Your V1 is worthless when you're nailed with instant-on as you come over the top at an obnoxious speed and he's waiting on the other side. Watch the on-ramps on the Tollway as well...I had a State Trooper get on next to me as I was doing about 90 and cannot believe I didn't get pulled over.

2003 BMW 540i 6-speed ~ Sterling Gray/Black
    Dallas, Texas (Uptown)
    M5 Bumpers w/Style-37 18" M-Parallel Wheels
    Digital Sound ~ Sunshades ~ 30% Window Tint
    Dinan Stage I Performance Engine Software
    Eisenmann Exhaust ~ Hardwired Valentine 1 Radar
    CDVectomy ~ UUC Short Shifter ~ M5 Rear Sway Bar
    Laguna Beach License Plate Frame (hometown)

Retired:
    2004 Maybach 62 (50 Cent made me an offer I couldn't refuse...LOL)
    2001 BMW 530i Steptronic
    2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 5-speed
    1997 Mercedes-Benz SL500 AMG Sport
    1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8 4x4
    2000 BMW 328Ci 5-speed
    1993 Mercedes-Benz 400E
    1987 BMW 325 5-speed coupe (first car, sparked the Roundel fever)

Registered Member
    Member No: 9064 ericfullerton is on a distinguished road ericfullerton's Avatar

Yes | No

Seems pretty unenforcable

I mean when they are stopped on the side of the road they are usually preoccupied. I can envision entrapment however, where they sit at the side of the road with lights on & wait for someone to pass by. This could take enforcement for the sake of revenue to a new level.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Seems pretty unenforcable

I imagine that does happen occasionally, but after changing a tire on the side of the freeway I feel that law does have some point to it.

Registered Member
    Member No: 12904 pmiranda is just really nice pmiranda is just really nice pmiranda is just really nice pmiranda is just really nice pmiranda's Avatar

Yes | No

They can and do set up traps for it...

Somebody recently told me their sad story of driving in Houston at the speed limit and getting a ticket after passing a stopped police car. Long story short... he saw a police car at the side of the road with somebody else already pulled over so our hero made sure he was only going the limit. A little bit down the road he passed another cop sitting at the side of the road with his lights on and a radar gun. He was already going the speed limit so he ignored it until that cop pulled him over and explained the new law to him with a smile and a ticket.

You can simply change lanes and not slow down, although Houston traffic is usually both fast and bumper-to-bumper, so that's a losing proposition. I fully understand the desire to enhance the safety of the officers risking their lives to do their jobs, but there are some issues with this law.

02 LeMansBlue/Silverstone M5
    98 EstorilBlue/Grey M3

Registered Member

Yes | No

Houston drivers demand dismissal of tickets (more)

As a matter of fact there was just an article in the paper about this. Apparently in order for the law to be enforced, the stopped police car must have its lights on. Traps that were set up have used patrol cars with no lights, and drivers are now demanding dismissal of their tickets.

Maybe one day one of these "traps" will result in a pileup and a lawsuit against the police department. Then maybe our legislators will rethink the law.

Registered Member
    Member No: 94465 mcchris is an unknown quantity at this point mcchris's Avatar

Yes | No

Just seems a bit ironic...

First of all, if it wasn't for this board, the only way I would have found out about this is by getting the ticket.

Second, it seems kind of ironic that the cops set up traps for this, putting themselves in danger just to catch people breaking this law that was designed to make cops safer. So do they really want safety, or just an excuse to give people tickets?

Third, the only time this is really an issue is when its a cop giving a speeding ticket. If its an accident, the rubberneckers slow everyone down.

Finally, it also seems a bit ironic that this law only applies when emergency vehicles have their lights on. Do emergency vehicles without lights on not need the extra safety? Wouldn't the lights being on make them safer to begin with? And what about people changing flat tires? They don't need safety?

If you ask me, our lawmakers have a bit too much time on their hands and/or their priorities are out of whack. But then again, no one asked me.

2003 Z4 2.5 Black/Beige/Beige, Con/Prem/Sport, SMG, Xenon, Prem Sound

Registered Member

Yes | No

I am in complete agreement with mcchris

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information