+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 96476 chickenhawk is an unknown quantity at this point chickenhawk's Avatar

Yes | No

The turbo i decided on using.

I ended up buying a t/60-1. Mostly because one of my favorite turbo e30's runs the same thing, and it makes crazy power. I also picked up a front mount intercooler 17"-8"-3" core, and 30lb injectors. Im deciding wheather or not if im going to buy forged pistons right now. I think i might leave it, and see what the stock ones can handle. I want to see if they can holdn to 300+whp, and be fine. Im still looking for what i want to do about the head gasket. I wish i could find a place to make a (multi layer steel gasket). I called Cometic Gasket to see if they could make a MLS gasket, but there not making them right now. If anyone knows were i could get a multi layer steel gasket made that would be a lot of help. Otherwise i'll have to try a copper head gasket again. I had bad luck with a copper one before. I might try O-rining the block with a copper head gasket, and using some Hylomar sealant. Anyone ever use Hylomar universal blue sealant before? Its suppose to be the best stuff. Thanks Dusty-

Registered Member
    Member No: 27969 turbo535 is an unknown quantity at this point turbo535's Avatar

Yes | No

try calling RPE machine in hartford for the gasket

Registered Member
    Member No: 96476 chickenhawk is an unknown quantity at this point chickenhawk's Avatar

Yes | No

Would you happen to know the number? thanks

Registered Member
    Member No: 27969 turbo535 is an unknown quantity at this point turbo535's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Would you happen to know the number? thanks

860-952-1342

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanks

Registered Member
    Member No: 86246 ScottJackson is an unknown quantity at this point ScottJackson's Avatar

Yes | No

pro stock guys and me can\'t be wrong...

Use black RTV silicone on the copper head gasket. Use O2 sensor safe stuff to avoid any issues. put the black RTV on in a very thin layer around all the water passages and bolt the head on before it sets up. Also, you can make the copper softer often by taking a oxy/acetylene torch and set the flame to rich with black soot coming out and briefly fan over the gasket with the flame. This softens the copper up as soft as it will get. Wipe the soot off with a damp rag and do the black rtv and go. I used hylomar on my 400hp 89 camaro and it seeped quite a bit with my copper gaskets and no o ringing, I used the black silicone and it's perfect. There's a TINY bit of seepage, about half a cup of coolant needs to be added each year, definately acceptable though as I drive the car about 15K miles each year as my daily driver. As for the pistons, I think you'll be fine if you keep it out of detonation because with a turbo you can make double the power but the pressure peak in the cylinder isn't much higher than N/A, this is because the turbo may pack in double the air and fuel but only say 20% is burnt before the piston starts moving down the bore on the power stroke, same as N/A... so 20% of the total NA charge creates a peak pressure in the cylinder not that much less than the 20% forced induction charge. Peak pressure will be more, but not a whole lot.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: pro stock guys and me can\'t be wrong...

Hi,
    Thanks for the info. What is the brand, and the name of the black silicone you used. I've been looking at whole bunch of different sealants maybe i've already seen it. Thanks again Dusty-

Registered Member
    Member No: 86246 ScottJackson is an unknown quantity at this point ScottJackson's Avatar

Yes | No

I just used Permatex...

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: I just used Permatex...

I'm not sure if it was oxy sensor safe though as the camaro has no sensor.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanks I'll try it out when it comes time.

Kevin Riddell

Yes | No

Turbo 2.7 E30

Hi all. First time on this site and all is lookin good. I'm in Australia and in the midst of a long term E30 project. I have the first of the motorsport 323s. The 2.3 had 500,000kms! My mechanic says the only reason it still went was the unbelievable amount of deposits on each cylinder. A testament to strength of these engines. I decided on a 2.7 conversion with the long term goal of building a GTR killing turbo E30. I used a 325e bottom end and rebuilt my 2.3 head which was ported and polished but not shaved (skimmed). The original cam was used to my dismay though was reground etc. It's not the best due to a financial shortage but soon plan to install a Schrick. Everything else is off the 2.3. I have ran into problems with fuel supply but was solved by adjusting the airflow and fitting a 3bar regulator. The bottom end was left stock with the low compression pistons and so am not making the estimated 210hp such as the similarly built alpina 2.7. I'm also for now using the stock computer but have many options avilable as we all know. So what I would love to know is, firstly: Considering I have not put high comp' pistons in and haven't shaved the head, does that mean my compression would still be that of, or a bit higher than, the stock 25e motor of around 8.2:1 and secondly does that mean considering all of the above that i could install a turbo and run low boost like 8psi? Has anyone installed a turbo on a setup such as this with stock internals? How strong is the 25e bottom end with dished pistons etc? Also any info on turbo manifolds and where to get them would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps someone is selling second hand complete. As it is I'm very surprised at my times. With the close ratio 323 box and 3.46 diff, I'm doing 0-100 in 6.2sec and 400m in 14 flat so I'm excited about a turbo.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information