+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 75805 Faisal_in_Laurel is an unknown quantity at this point Faisal_in_Laurel's Avatar

Yes | No

BMW going after forced induction?

Registered Member
    Member No: 75805 Faisal_in_Laurel is an unknown quantity at this point Faisal_in_Laurel's Avatar

SOCOM

Yes | No

Interesting..but I hope not.

I personally do not like turbos or superchargers, but I think BMW's Inline 6 has reached its limits in terms of performance unless you goto a larger displacement engine and I don't see BMW fitting a 3.5+ liter I6 into the 3-series.

My $.02

PS Secretly I wish for an ESS supercharger to add to my ZHP, but I lease, the ESS is over $5K(inc install), and its not available for the ZHP.

Registered Member
    Member No: 71281 blown530 is an unknown quantity at this point blown530's Avatar

Yes | No

Well, which is it?

You can't "personally dislike turbos or superchargers" and "secretly wish for an ESS supercharger" at the same time.

SOCOM

Yes | No

LOL....well.

I see turbos and superchargers as "speed on the cheap" and have no problem with someone adding one to their car, but when you end up buying a luxury car with turbo (ie MB AMG) I feel like you're getting hosed because I think they overcharge you for the turbo.

I also think it's not a fair comparsion when people compare a car that has a normal aspirated(sp?) engine to one with a turbo/supercharger.

I saw a clip on this forum of a 350Z w/after market turbo drag racing a M3 and I'm like,"big $#@# deal punk, lets add a supercharger to the M3 and then we'll see what happens."

Kris

Yes | No

Unfortunatly

That's ricer logic.. "After I get x mod installed on y car I'll be able to beat you" the m3 got beat cause it didnt have enough power... that seems to be their weakness same with the z.. atleast that guy fixed it.. not to say that bmw is going backwards but the japanese got the inline 6 right in so many forms... 1jz 2jz toyota engines and the RB line of engines from nissan.. even nissans SR 4 cylinders put bmw's to shame... unfortunatly bmw keeps sticking with low displacement straight 6 NA engines that will never become the HP contenders... honda guys brag about HP/liter.. it's the only thing they have to brag about.. with bmw's it's like you only get rreal power with the m5... or the z8.. maybe the 540i.. bmw will loose it's market share unless they can apeal to the 20-30 year old car buyer who isn't ready to give up the ghost and get an automatic 4dr sedan so he can pack 3 kids in it... z4 is a nice try but maybe something on a diet... or again with more power... 184HP and 3000lbs doesn't excite someone for about 32k... you were also saying earlier that you think people get overcharged for turbo engines... how about the difference between a z4 2.5i and a z4 3.0i.. is there really almost 8k in difference? last I looked it was some suspension changes... a couple of badges.. and .5L of displacement... bmw's problem is nothing can out perform it's m3 flagship and that car is a lame duck for the price anyway... 0-60 in 4.8 seconds with a 13 second quarter mile really scares off mad crazy HP contenders like.. a camaro or a mustang.. you know.. cars 1/3rd to half it's price.. even the mini fell short... the JCW package puts it upto street fighter material but the car is mostly toped out from the factory.. bmw used to have an edge in handling and performance... now they build mediocre image cars... the new kia amanti has that same interior quality as a 3 series and the same 0-60 time a a z4.. for $24k with a huge warranty.. the sad part is.. a neon SRT-4 for half the price of a z4 3.0i goes just as fast 0-60.. while not as stylish.. if you realize your drive to work everyday doesn't envolve drivin across some mountain pass while letting the crisp summer sun warm you as you drive under a waterfall and off into the clear blue sky... and it's more like 30 minutes of city driving... and when your out on a date and some boy racer kid with an aluminum parkbench on his trunk pulls up next to you... and you get smoked... yeah.. you feel embaressed... well you can tell him at the next light when you catch up "Yeah well I could beat you on some remote twisty mountain road".. Buy bmw... hide in the twisties

DLS

Yes | No

"Unfortunatly" is misspelled--LOL !!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information