+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 67284
    Inner Circle ©42 since: Mar 20, 2013 Viv is on a distinguished road Viv's Avatar

Yes | No

Give blood -Infineon RW-Mario Andretti (long)

This is from our chapter newsletter editor. Thought some of you might be interested.

Infineon Raceway Answers National Appeal with Blood Drive Featuring
    Mario Andretti, Wednesday, Jan. 28

LEGENDARY DRIVER WILL GIVE HOT LAPS AROUND TRACK IN EXCHANGE FOR BLOOD

Motor sports enthusiasts will be given the rare opportunity to ride with a racing legend at Infineon Raceway on Wednesday, Jan. 28, and at the same time aid the Northern California Region of the American Red Cross, which is facing critically low blood supplies during this winter season.

Mario Andretti, the only driver in history to win races in five
    different decades, will be part of the 3rd annual Infineon Technologies High-Speed Blood Drive on Wednesday, Jan. 28, from noon-6 p.m. Andretti will give a pre-determined number of fans a lap around the world-famous 12-turn, 2.52-mile road course at full speed, and all it will cost is a pint of blood.

To help get hearts pumping before giving blood, those who visit the
    raceway between noon and 5 p.m. will be treated to a "hot lap" around the 12-turn Infineon Raceway road course. Andretti, as well as professional drivers from the Jim Russell Racing Drivers School, will administer the laps at speed around the 2.52-mile circuit. Because of an anticipated high donor turnout, only the first 50 donors to make an appointment on www.beadonor.com will receive hot laps with Andretti.

Laps with Andretti will also be given away on The Bone 107.7 FM, so be sure to listen. Andretti will also be available for autographs.

The blood drive couldn’t come at a better time as national inventory
    levels have dropped well below a safe and adequate blood supply. Certain blood types are nearing depletion, and in some areas of the country elective surgeries have been postponed or cancelled.

"Throughout January, blood supplies in the Bay Area have been critically low. We always operate on a narrow margin, typically keeping a two-day blood supply on hand. Recently, we've had less than a day's supply of blood available to meet the needs of patients. The situation is starting to impact patient care. Therefore I am particularly happy about the Infineon Raceway blood drive. We need more of these voluntary business initiatives to encourage people to donate blood," said Philippe Bureau,
    Director of Donor Recruitment for the American Red Cross Blood Services, Northern California Region.

Said Secretary of Health and Human Services, Tommy G. Thompson: “The
    nation is facing critical shortages in communities across the country. If blood supplies do not immediately increase, patients, accident victims and those whose lives depend on regular transfusions, are at risk for not getting the blood they need.”

Fans are invited to the raceway to help the American Red Cross meet its constant need for blood donors, and at the same time, they can meet Andretti, the 1978 Formula One world champion, four-time CART champion and winner of both the Indianapolis 500 and Daytona 500.

In addition to the American Red Cross and Infineon Technologies,
    Infineon Raceway will again partner with The Bone 107.7 FM on this
    worthwhile event. Hospitals around the country use a total of 38,000 units of blood each day, with demand increasing each year.

Bob LeFort, president of Infineon Technologies North America, is pleased to host the event and will make Andretti (Infineon Technologies spokesman) available.

"I am really proud that Infineon is again supporting this year's blood drive at the raceway since the demand for blood supply is very high. I am particularly pleased that we again have Mario Andretti to help us make this event both a lasting memory for all participants and contribute to the overall success of the blood drive," LeFort said.

According to the American Red Cross, it is estimated that 60-percent of the United States’ population is eligible to donate blood, however only 2-3 percent of Bay Area residents donate blood. This is lower than the national average, which is only 5-percent of eligible donors.

After a lap around the track, participants will complete a brief health history questionnaire with a Red Cross representative to ensure eligibility. For information on donor eligibility, please visit www.beadonor.com. Complimentary cookies and juice will be available.
    Viv
    2003 530i Steel Blue Metallic /Gray leather
    AT/PP/SP/CWP/Xenon/Folding Rear Seats/Ultimate Cup Holders/Stongard Headlamp Covers/Stealth rear signal bulbs/50% tint (not in this picture)/Saab trunk lid handle/BMWCCA Member/With a Pink Panther on the mirror/E34('91 525i) retired

[

Mike F. (Sacramento)
    Member No: Mike F. (Sacramento)'s Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Give blood -Infineon RW-Mario Andretti (long)

Hi Viv -

I checked the beadonor.com site and couldn't find the info. Do you have any more specifics on how to try to sign up (or do they already have way more people signed up than they need??).

Thanks much!

Mike

'97 328i

Inner Circle ©42 since: Mar 20, 2013 Viv is on a distinguished road Viv's Avatar

Yes | No

Sorry, this is all the info I have.

I'll send an email back to our newsletter person and see if he has any add'l info.
    Viv
    AT/PP/SP/CWP/Xenon/Folding Rear Seats/Ultimate Cup Holders/Stongard Headlamp Covers/Stealth rear signal bulbs/50% tint (not in this picture)/Saab trunk lid handle/BMWCCA Member/With a Pink Panther on the mirror/E34('91 525i) retired

[

Mike F. (Sacramento)

Yes | No

Thanks! (e)

Yes | No

Haven\'t heard back from the editor, but

I went to the site and was able to register myself. Then did a search for drives on 01/28/04 and Infineon came up with a list of available times. I don't know though any particulars on getting a ride.

Here's the racetrack contact: [email protected]

Here's the Am. Red Cross contact: [email protected]

I got the above info from the "Register for an Appointment Time" page. Times available were from 12:30 to 5:45.

Hope this is helpful!
    Viv
    Viv

[

Yes | No

Opps, I missed this note earlier:

Blood Drive specific notes :

Please arrive 15 to 20 minutes prior to your appointment time, so to allow time for hot lap.

Viv

[

Mike F. (Sacramento)

Yes | No

And thanks again!!

Yes | No

You\'re welcome :-) Message from editor:

Hi Vivian,

This is the only info that I have which was sent out by Infineon. After looking at the reference site I noted the following, "You may also call and schedule an appointment at 1-800-GIVELIFE (1-800-448-3543)." So maybe if you call this number they can answer your question(s). If you do please let me know how it turns out.

Woody
    Viv

[

Registered Member
    Member No: 56335 ibew595 is an unknown quantity at this point ibew595's Avatar

Yes | No

They give out very good juice and cookies too.

Due to the lack of blood, I would probably pass out afterwards and have to give another pint.
    Mt. Hamilton,San Jose, CA.2003
    2000 740i Impala brown

I wish, I wish, I wish......
    My baby
    BMW Food for the soul
    Kevin Goto

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information