+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 50763 lbrott is an unknown quantity at this point lbrott's Avatar

Yes | No

Crimp-on hose clamp removal

Anyone know a good way to remove those crimp-on hose clamps without damaging the hose?

Thanks in advance.

Registered Member
    Member No: 20866 stevester is an unknown quantity at this point stevester's Avatar

Yes | No

Try peeling them off++

It's a bit like peeling tape off with your nails, but use tools.

Start by prying up the edge with a small thin screwdriver. Eventually, you'll have enough metal to grab with a pair of pliers. Just keep peeling until it comes loose.

Registered Member
    Member No: 15378 marke36 is an unknown quantity at this point marke36's Avatar

Yes | No

Ive read that theres a special tool needed.

Registered Member
    Member No: 17062 JKRIT is on a distinguished road JKRIT's Avatar

Yes | No

I start with an awl jammed into the \"loop\"

Then twist back and forth to loosen it up. Last, use sheet-metal cutters or wire cutters to cut right through the damm things, either through the loop or across the band if you've loosened it up enough.

Stupid non-adjustable clamps. . . Guaranteed to start leaking before the hose needs replacing. Must be really nice and quick to install with a power tool at the factory.
    '97 528i Montreal Blu./Grey
    '98 323is Arctic Sil./Blk, SP
    '93 325is Mauritius Blu.(w/Blk skirts)/Tan

Registered Member
    Member No: 76692 tommy_regan is an unknown quantity at this point tommy_regan's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Crimp-on hose clamp removal

I used a flat blade screwdriver and needle nose pliers to get some slack in it. Then some dykes were used to cut the metal. I did this just last week to diagnose a leaking P/S hose. Put a normal hose clamp on there and no more leaks. FWIW, I didn't even pull the hose from the reservoir.

Tommy
    '92 325is

Registered Member
    Member No: 50763 lbrott is an unknown quantity at this point lbrott's Avatar

Yes | No

Power steering hoses

My post started because I plan on replacing the clamps on my power steering hoses.

How did you approach the reservoir...from below or above? To access the reservoir holder, did you have to remove any parts? Any tricks you'd like to pass along?

Thanks for your help!

Registered Member
    Member No: 20866 stevester is an unknown quantity at this point stevester's Avatar

Yes | No

I did this job ++

I got to them from underneath. Not easy to reach, and I don't remember removing any other parts.

I suggest replacing both clamps at the same time. I replaced one clamp, and had to do the job again after finding out the other one leaked too.

Registered Member
    Member No: 17062 JKRIT is on a distinguished road JKRIT's Avatar

Yes | No

Just did this last weekend

3 of the 4 hose ends have these stupid clamps; the 4th end is permanently crimped to the metal tubing for the rack. I drained the reservoir by removing the lower hose from the pump. Then pulled the air filter, loosened the reservoir mounting clamp and disconnected the hose to the rack, removed the whole thing. Clean up the messy reservoir, replace all 3 hose clamps, reinstall. Access is PIA for this thing. Even after I refilled fluid, restarted engine and worked the steering, I had to remove the air filter again to check and top off the reservoir.
    '97 528i Montreal Blu./Grey
    '98 323is Arctic Sil./Blk, SP
    '93 325is Mauritius Blu.(w/Blk skirts)/Tan

Registered Member
    Member No: 76692 tommy_regan is an unknown quantity at this point tommy_regan's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Power steering hoses

Larry,

I accessed everything from underneath. I loosened the clamp for the rservoir to allow it to come down some for easier access when I replaced one of the lines. Accessed the reservoir (for refilling) from above. I installed regular hose clamps on the line I was replacing.

After the fact when I realized that the hose I replaced wasn't the culprit for the leak, I tried just replacing the hell-spawn BMW clamp with a regular hose clamp on the other line. This solved the problem so now no need to buy another P/S hose.

Good luck,
    Tommy
    '92 325is

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information