+ Reply to Thread
    Houston8

Yes | No

braking issues

Have had a couple of braking experiences recently that really make me nervous. At low speeds 15-20mph coming to a stop the brake pedal goes rock-hard, the entire car starts to vibrate, and braking goes to nothing. The only way I was able to stop was to completely disengage the brakes and try again, at which point everything worked normally. My guess is something to do w/ the abs? Anyone else have similar experience/suggestions. Fortunately this has only happened at low speeds and any damage would have been relatively minor(wince) but I can only begin to imagine what would happen if this occured while she was feeling frisky.(She does that sometimes.)

Z8 Bob

Yes | No

A "Minor" bump at 10 MPH may still bend the frame

and entail a trip to one of the three VPCs and loss of use for 6 months to a year (no I am not kidding). Get it fixed NOW!

Registered Member
    Member No: 81139 zed8 is an unknown quantity at this point zed8's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: braking issues

This is a usual situation. Most cars equipped with ABS have this problem. Because at low speeds when the road is even a little slippery (This can be because of the quality of the asphalt or the road may be wet)if you press the pedal suddenly the pedal goes rock-hard and you start to hear that weird noise coming from the ABS. The car won't stop. You should immediately disengage the brakes completely and then press the pedal again.

Registered Member
    Member No: 41339 joea2 is an unknown quantity at this point joea2's Avatar

Yes | No

It happens to me if I hit a bump/hole while braking at low speed. It definitely is the ABS. A quick release and reapplication of the brakes solves the problem. I've learned to "live" with it. Never experienced this with any other car!!!!

Houston8

Yes | No

Re: A

I am in the same boat as previous posts as far as hitting a bump at low speeds being the cause, I believe, is there a cure for this Z8 Bob?

Registered Member
    Member No: 15919 Ginger is an unknown quantity at this point Ginger's Avatar

Yes | No

Iím with BMW of North America, LLC. Iím sorry to read of your concern about brakes. If you and your BMW center would like our assistance, please phone us at (800) 831-1117, and mention Reference #200402904938 so that we can give you additional details.

Registered Member

Yes | No

I'm dialing!!

Registered Member

Yes | No

They have NO information, but will "research".

Rjay

Yes | No

In my experience, they never do!

Houston8

Yes | No

Re: They have NO information, but will

I got the same response + report it to my regular service dept.

Registered Member
    Member No: 117279 clintb is an unknown quantity at this point clintb's Avatar

Yes | No

ABS / DSC ATTACK

hello Z8 forum, thanks for creating a nice community, i'm in the SAME BOAT here

here's my issue: i have a 2001 Z8 that has 73,000 KMS.. i've driven my car more than any other Z8 in Canada (us Vancouverites love to drive) and consequently run into problems that no other Z8 has met.

The most recent is as follows: at slow speeds (under 15k, usually under 5) if i apply moderate to threshold brake occasionally the car attacks me. The ABS goes nutz and the steering wheel shakes violently. All this happens in a matter of seconds, then dissapears.

Since it is a new issue, i've tried to get BMW to diagnose but they can't, so they've blamed it on tire choice (i have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S) and say the only way they can accept responsibility is if i change back to stock tires.... UGH

SO.... any feedback? anyone found any resolution from BMW? JOEA2 or Houston8?

thanks... clint

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: ABS / DSC ATTACK

The only braking problem I've had is super-sensetive ABS which takes over at the slightest bump when braking.

harvey2

Yes | No

I've only got 21k KM on mine so haven't seen this problem, even though I drive the same roads as you. I'm still on stock tires, but don't believe that is the problem with yours. Who is your service provider?

harvey2 in Surrey

Registered Member

Yes | No

@harvey2: i service at Brian Jessell (they sold us the car and have been great thus far at taking care of it)... but this issue seems to have stumped everyone in the BMW world... it's more than just ABS, the whole DSC system goes wild and the car shakes quite violently.

@joea2: are you sure yours is just ABS? the pulsing in the brake pedal would be alright, but my whole car shakes along with the steering wheell....

i'm pretty sure this isn't caused by the tire choice, and i DON'T want to have to put those runflats back on just to find out!

@ Houston8: did you ever get this resolved?

Houston8

Yes | No

Was never able to demonstrate the problem to BMW. It still occurs occasionally under conditions you described - low speed, light braking, and a bumpy road. The only way I've been able to stop the car at that point is to completely disengage the brakes and try again. A little nerve-racking to say the least - I'm not at all interested in finding out how much a new front end costs for a z8. Any news please keep us posted.

Registered Member

Yes | No

hmmm.. i'm going to probably run this out with them this weekend... hopefully get some solution

the admin at http://www.bmwz8.us posted a great response for me... check out the board ... forums... problems and recalls...

i'll keep you all posted here as well

clint

Yes | No

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information