+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 15900 BADBMW1986 is an unknown quantity at this point BADBMW1986's Avatar

Yes | No

So, I want to mount a 745i TURBO system in my E-30

I drive a modified 1986 325es 2.7

Motronic 1.3
    325i cam
    325i valve springs
    e head
    e bottom end

Everything else is 325i.....

What if I swap the head to 325i (which will drop the compression) to 8.3?)

Install the KKK 27 TURBO & innercooler from the 7?

What else will I be needing? Rising Rate Fuel, 19lbs. Injectors, Mass Air Flow (which I have)

Lets start talking TURBO and wake this board up!!!

Brian

Registered Member
    Member No: 48599 fhaas is an unknown quantity at this point fhaas's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: So, I want to mount a 745i TURBO system in my E-30

First off you're talking apples and oranges... the 325 engine is a baby six (M20) and the 745i is a "big" six (M30). The heads are not interchangable between the two. You also can't install the KKK turbo & intercooler without having an appropriate exhaust manifold to mount it on and the 745i exhaust manifold with not fit the 325i engine.

That said you CAN install the whole 745i engine into the E30. I belive Pat P on the E30 BB has done an Alpina twin turbo M30 engine into a E30 M3. So he might be able to help. Alpina themselves did install normially aspirated M30 engines into E30's and the engine mounts are available from them for a hefty price tag. Routing the turbo system may pose other problems however....

Most E30 guys that want a turbo modify the turbo diesel exhaust manifold to fit (this is alot of work being the holes don't align to the standard E30 M20 head) and the use the other bits from the 524td.

It's either that or buy a complete aftermarket system for the E30. I've seen several on ebay in the last couple years. I also think there is a german company that makes a setup specifically for the E30 6 cylinder M20 engine. Either that or contact TCD (turbochargingdynamics) @ [email protected] and see if Todd can help you in some way.

Good luck!

WH

Registered Member
    Member No: 15900 BADBMW1986 is an unknown quantity at this point BADBMW1986's Avatar

Yes | No

I already have a turbo manifold for the 325i. I just want to use the 745I TURBO, BOV, INTERCOOLER....

HOW WILL THE KKK27 WORK ON A 325I?

Brian

Registered Member
    Member No: 41262 techno550 is an unknown quantity at this point techno550's Avatar

Yes | No

The K27 is perhaps a touch big for the 2.5/2.7. It would work though. Also its a very old design. A more modern turbo would be a better choice, unless you happen to have a free K27 laying around.

The intercooler is also not going to be easy to mount in an E30. There are tons of other intercoolers out there that would likely be easier to make fit. One big difference between the M30 and M20 is that on the M30, the intake faces the passenger side. on the m20, its on the driver side. The IC from the 745 is compact to keep everything on one side of the car. You can take advantage of having the intake on the other side and get a much wider intercooler. Surface area is your friend. :o)

oh, and the 524td manifold on the M20... it wasn't the E30 crowd that started that. it was a certain E34. :o)
    but yes, it can be made to fit.

-Michael McCoy

Registered Member

Yes | No

Would bigger = less lag/spool up? or more...

Registered Member
    Member No: 7531 mr-winny is an unknown quantity at this point mr-winny's Avatar

Yes | No

TCD has M20 turbo manifolds and kits I believe

Registered Member
    Member No: 43786 bilodeaulynn is an unknown quantity at this point bilodeaulynn's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Would bigger = less lag/spool up? or more...

Generally, the bigger turbo means more lag time.

Lynn

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information