+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Registered Member
    Member No: 36602 frickka is an unknown quantity at this point frickka's Avatar

Yes | No

Area Dealers. New to area

Hi all. Fairly new to the area. Have an 02 X5 that's been great, especially on day like today. I've been less than impressed with the service at Crown in Charlottesville and wondering about other dealers in the richmond, dc area. While the car is under warranty and maintenance, I'll use the dealership, but then plan on using independent. Thanks for any advice.

Registered Member
    Member No: 37 fdmeloan is an unknown quantity at this point fdmeloan's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Area Dealers. New to area

If you were less than impressed with the BMW dealer in Charlottesville you will probably not be impressed with any of the BMW dealers in the Washington, D.C. area either, at least based on their 2003 CSI scores. BMW of Charlottesville had a significantly higher CSI during 2003 than any of the 6 BMW dealers around the Washington beltway.

BMW of Sterling consistently advertises that they have the hightest CSI among the 6 Washington, D.C. area dealers.

Hope this helps.

Fred Meloan

Registered Member
    Member No: 73749 jkuper is an unknown quantity at this point jkuper's Avatar

Yes | No

Check out BMW of Towson

Registered Member
    Member No: 75805 Faisal_in_Laurel is an unknown quantity at this point Faisal_in_Laurel's Avatar

Yes | No

I use Tischer BMW but mostly because they are

the closest to me. I used to use Curry's in VA. But their prices have gone up so much that I started working on my car myself if it is simple maint. and repairs.

I did get mixed reviews of BMW of Sterling but mostly good.

Click to subscribe to DCMETRO_E31

Registered Member
    Member No: 15294 pgzee3 is an unknown quantity at this point pgzee3's Avatar

Yes | No

Just strayed from BMW of Fairfax

I have three BMW's, a Z3, 750IL and a M6. I have had all my work done at BMW of Fairfax but the prices are outrageous. I just took the 750 in to J&F Motors in Arlington for a new battery , oil change, new radiator , all new belts and complete oil service for this V12 and the price was under a Grand. Just to compare, I had the fuel lines replaced on the M6 and it was about $1,000. I know BMW's are not cheap, but the Dealers have really gotten out of hand.

Registered Member
    Member No: 89052 wcouv is an unknown quantity at this point wcouv's Avatar

Yes | No

J&F Motors in Arlington. Maybe a little out of your way, but is an independent who deals almost exclusively in BMW and gives dealer quality but at independant price.

Green-Z

Yes | No

3x owner. Here is my take.

Arlington has an ego problem. I've never been able to buy a car there. Tried three times since they are down the street from me. I tend to buy my cars in comfortable clothes (jeans, etc) so I guess they don't think I can afford a BMW, eventhough I have one. Good service dept though.

Fairfax. I bought my 2nd Z3 there. Tried to buy my third there. My salesman called me the day they go the Z4s in. I was read to buy that day if I it passed the test drive. When I got there the manager said I couldn't test drive it because they'd lose sales because others wanted to look at them. Well, the manager was right, he lost a sale...mine. No loss, they have a terrible service dept and add all sorts of stupid fees to the bottom line when you go to take title. The funny thing is the manager called me back to tell me they were allowing test drive a couple days later and I had the high privelege of telling him I put a deposit elsewhere. That was fun.

Sterling. Never been there yet, but they have a great reputation, and huge inventory. Maybe next time I'll try 'em

Passport. Bought my 1st and latest car from them. It really depends on who you deal with here. Some will deal and are very nice. My guy last time, Jurn, was terrific, and ready to deal. None of the usually BS acts some salemen put on. Others are not so great. They have there share of clowns there. Service dept is OK, but they are chintzy with the service loaners. I'll buy from them again if I get a good deal, otherwise, I'll probably try out Sterling.

Registered Member
    Member No: 36895 michaelbowers is an unknown quantity at this point michaelbowers's Avatar

Yes | No

Here's another vote for J&F Motors. I've used them for almost 20 years on a variety of BMWs, including my current '03 M5 and the wife's '99 540i wagon. They are honest and competent.

Registered Member
    Member No: 101760 lbisagni is an unknown quantity at this point lbisagni's Avatar

Yes | No

I use Tischer in Silver Spring for parts, however, I do most of my own work. I strongly reccommend a guy over there named Donnie Mitchell if you need anything for your vehicle. The guy really knows his stuff.

Registered Member
    Member No: 101791 jerichotpkbandit is an unknown quantity at this point jerichotpkbandit's Avatar

Yes | No

Donnie Mitchell is the man!!!

I agree with LB...Donnie used to work at Passport, and he is a BMW genius! He diagnosed a problem with my wife's 7 series when nobody else had a clue. He is honest and great to deal with. Thanks, LB...I didn't know where he went!!!

Jon in Woodbine, MD

Yes | No

I have been using Russel BMW in Catonsville, MD for several years and have always been happy with their service. Never had a problem with getting a loaner car for any service I have had done there.

Registered Member
    Member No: 33395 onboost is an unknown quantity at this point onboost's Avatar

Yes | No

Don't know exactly where you are...but try Passport BMW in Marlow Heights, MD. Its just inside the Beltway near Andrews AFB off Branch Ave. They have a great team there...I used to be one of the service advisors!

rolly64

Yes | No

STAY AWAY from VOB BMW in Rockville!!

Dave Waldack

Yes | No

Re: Just strayed from BMW of Fairfax

I can't say that I blame you. I have a 1995 740il that seems to have the worst luck and Fairfax has been of little to no help.

Last year I had the gas tank implode. They blamed it on a crimped breather hose, but I I have my suspisions that they caused this after replacing a fuel pump. Don't even ask about the cost.

The latest issue from last week was the ignition switch went bad and I could not shut the car off. $1000 later I will be getting it back.

Top this off with the numerous electrical problems that palgue the car that the have never been able to pin point and I can say for certain that I will never own another BMW. I use to swear by the make.

Oh well.

Nols Emon

Yes | No

Re: STAY AWAY from VOB BMW in Rockville!!

I totally agree. I bought a new car 2003 nissan sentra gxe from this dealership and have had to bring it to the service department more than 5 times. they do not honor your warranty.

Registered Member
    Member No: 78204 Drol1 is an unknown quantity at this point Drol1's Avatar

Yes | No

Hello all,

It's been ages since I've had to take a BMW in to the dealer out here in the NOVA area so I'm not terribly current. In the past I'd go to Arlington (used to be Heishman) and I really liked the service managers but after they expanded I had a bad experience. They told me the rotors on my '93 525iT were warped (were newish with gas slots) but when I asked if they had done a run out test they said no. Never have been back--sales department was hopeless btw.

Fairfax has been a good place to hunt for a new car--used would be ok too--but am apprehensive about the service department. There used to be a service manager who was a BMW CCA member but I can't remember his name--Mark I think.

I'm back in the market for a good dealer service department because my parents just bought an '04 325xi and they've never had to deal with sort of stuff. They bought the car from Zimbrick European out in Madison, Wisconsin. We've bought all our BMW's from them (started in '94) and I've always been happy with their service. After the incident with Heishman I've not gone anywhere else (yes they're worth the 950 mile trip!).

I had good luck with Curry's in Falls Church and have yet to decide what to do for service. It'll be a long time before it'll become an issue but if Passport could provide a loaner and come get the car from parents I'd probably give it to them to handle--especially from what I've heard about VOB and Fairfax--Fairfax isn't all bad--I met one of the mechanics when I was interested in a used 740i--nice guy and on top of his game--except he was in the used car maintanence department so I don't know if it's possible to request him or not. If so, I'd be happy to take a car there.

Ben

P.S. Eurasian near Tyson's is also very good

jerrykdc

Yes | No

Passport is okay and took good care of me but

they have a policy that they only give loaners on scheduled maintenance. It is my understanding that they won't give a loaner for warranty work which seems really strange for me. They have really tried to fit me in when I didn't have an appointment and really took care of me when my steering wheel was defective and they allowed me to pay $35 difference between sport and M wheel and they put on M wheel instead. I have used Tony but I understand they're all okay.

axeman

Yes | No

BMW of Sterling

Bought my 5 series CPO from them 18 mos ago. Great buying and maintenace experience with them so far. The car is in fro its Inspection 2 today. No issues with loaners (usually Enterprise). ASk for Chris in Service. Good guy, straight shooter, knows the cars.

Registered Member
    Member No: 33268 oh2ball is an unknown quantity at this point oh2ball's Avatar

Yes | No

I also use Tischer for my CPO

My wife has had horrible service experinces in the past but sh ereally like how she has been treated(me too) But for my 2000 740i Sport, its Quality Cars in Rockville. When my wife's 2003 325xi gets out of warranty, she'll be taking it there as well.

Craig C.

Yes | No

Re: Just strayed from BMW of Fairfax

I have a 1998 BMW 528i that has behaved pretty well, for the most part. Now either the air conditioner compressor or the AC clutch. I suspect that the I'm facing a worst-case scenario in which the two are connected and it will cost me the equivalent of the GNP of a Third World country to fix, if I take it to BMW of Fairfax.

On a different note, this spring I was checking out new cars and went in to BMW of Fairfax to look at a new BMW 530. It's pretty nice on the inside, but I thought the exterior styling was a little weird, what with those "earbrow" headlights. Plus the iDrive is really cumbersome and it turns out that it's not an option. The sales guy didn't show much enthusiasm for the car either.

I ended up going to Moore Cadillac in Tysons Corner and bought a new CTS that I absolutely love. It's every bit as well made as the BMW 530 and it cost about $10,000 less.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information