+ Reply to Thread
    Ray

Yes | No

Driving on patched tire?

I've got a question about driving on a punctured tire. I've got the 68M style rims on my 330Ci, copped a nail in the right rear one(245 wide), and had the dealer patch it, but they left the spare (225 wide) on the car, and the old tire in the boot. How safe is that, and which is safer, driving on a patched tire or mismatched tires? I do a lot of freeway driving, ~60 miles/hour. There's not that much life left in the tire, but I want to maxmimise it. The tires are Michelin Pilot Sports, the one with the v-shaped tread. Thanks in advance!

boot?...get new ones! ----- udm4ever
    Member No: boot?...get new ones! ----- udm4ever's Avatar

Yes | No

How much are tires cost you where trunck called

Oversized Rooster 330i
    Member No: Oversized Rooster 330i's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Driving on patched tire?

Well I also have a patched tire. I have my front-right POS all-season Goodyear Eagle RS-A patched. And what I did was I as soon as it was patched, I continued driving. I've driven at many speeds - 50km/h, 190km/h and there's no difference. Seems pretty safe.

In my opinion, traction was uneven when I had the spare on. Now, in your case, not only does the spare have more tread, but it's a different size, too. That's a no-no.

Drive with the patched. It's safe at least for the next 3 months I'd say.

jayb

Yes | No

no way that i would do that

at 50 or 60 mph i want good tires, same tires that respond equally in an emergency steering or braking situation. Different tires perform unpredictably on the car, maybe ok at slow speeds, but even than i would not do it. Also if the patch was not done right, from the inside, that is a problem. This is assuming it is a small nail whole. Large damage to the rubber, and good by tire--would not take chance of tire blowing out at 60 or 70 mph and accident resulting.
    That is my 2 cents. PS If you want to sense what two different size tires/different brands might feel like at high speeds put your sneaker on one foot and your dress shoe on the other, and walk around for a few hours.

. BC

Yes | No

The strongest patch available is Rooster feathers

you are safe with them

Registered Member
    Member No: 43740 chiefneil is an unknown quantity at this point chiefneil's Avatar

Yes | No

It\'s fine

As long as the nail was in the tread part of the tire and not the sidewall, it's fine. I've put many miles at illegal speeds on patched tires that have lasted for years. I just had a nail pulled and patched from my rear tire last month, in fact.

Registered Member
    Member No: 93023 Stinger9 is on a distinguished road Stinger9's Avatar

Yes | No

Michelin Rep told R&T tech this month that a

properly plugged and patched tire is still good for it's rated speed.

Cy7878

Yes | No

1 patched tire is better than a smaller size tire

DJ330cic

Yes | No

Re: How much are tires cost you where trunck called

I am amazed that people come on here with 2 cents worth opinions that fly in the face common sense and go against the stated opinion of experts in the field. Years of experience driving patched tires lead me to believe that they are safe. Hell, it's only a rubber plug. This namby pamby crap about "it's unsafe, so go buy a new set of tires" is just the kind of crap that forces the cowards of the world to waste their money.

kaa

Yes | No

Life was so much simpler when we all used tubes

Registered Member
    Member No: 67293 jjcthe1 is an unknown quantity at this point jjcthe1's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Driving on patched tire?

drive with the patched tire!! I had a tire patched locally before and they guaranteed it for the life of the tire, or they would replace the tire for free (if the patch caused a blowout). Why would you want to drive on the spare? Its not the right size and it has a different amount of tread on it?

Registered Member
    Member No: 24009 wernst is an unknown quantity at this point wernst's Avatar

Yes | No

Properly patched tire is just fine

The key here is properly patched. If a professional tire store did it from the inside, and if the hole is in the tread, not sidewall, you're just fine.

Anyone telling you something else is trying to sell you a new tire. Think about it.

I've had many, many, MANY patched tires over the years, and not had a single one fail. Heck, I ran something like 5 autocrosses on a patched tire last year - no problem.

-Llama

Bill Boyles

Yes | No

Plugged = from outside, Patched = from inside.

Unregistered

Yes | No

patched spare

We had to plug a spare tire on a small stick shift. Is there any concern in driving it in to get the new tire or is it fine to go across town on?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 104.54.112.150

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information