+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 64444 matt325is is an unknown quantity at this point matt325is's Avatar

Yes | No

m20 crankcase breather

Alright guys, I just had a bad day at the dyno. Basically I fabbed up a new crankcase breather (attached to valve cover) that ran through a filter, through a 1way valve, and into the pipe before the turbo compressor. In turn, this made my car smoke a LOT of oil. Today, I took it off, and it runs like normal.

Does anybody have a good way of making a vaccuum for the crankcase? Also, any good ways of disconnecting the breather that goes from the block to the bottom of the intake manifold (pipe, with a spring on the bottom), and making it not pressurize?

Thanks for the help.

matt

Registered Member
    Member No: 41262 techno550 is an unknown quantity at this point techno550's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: m20 crankcase breather

you sure you put that check valve in the correct way?

that metal tube between the intake and the block is to vent crankcase gasses from the block back to the head where they can then get out. the bottom end of the motor pressurizes because of blowby. only way to stop that is to have a 100% seal on all of the rings, and even then, there would still be some pressure from the expanding oil and oil vapors.

I vent the whole system (via the valve cover vent tube) to atmosphere. Don't even bother connecting it to vacuum. Vacuum would be better though.

for a vacuum source, in front of the turbo works, or you could install tubes in the exhaust and create vacuum that way. either way you will need proper check valves (especially with the exhaust setup).

-Michael McCoy

theo325

Yes | No

Registered Member
    Member No: 29165 puce is an unknown quantity at this point puce's Avatar

Yes | No

Michael:

I didn't get it clear what you do with crank case breater? Do you seal the hole in intake manifold and also in crank case also and only way for gases to come out is through valve cover breather?
    What I got now is while oil is thick it is getting in to exhaust. It started suddenly. So I don't know the reason why it is happening. Maybe there was to high oil preasure to turbo... hvz..J.K.jr.bad.
    BMW 527TiS '89
    BMW 316 e21 '82

Michael McCoy

Yes | No

the breather on the valve cover is routed to a catch can, and the catch can is open to the atmosphere.

I sealed the hole on the side of the throttle body.

everything else is *stock*. as in I didn't change anything with the metal tube between the block and the intake manifold.

that help clear things up? or is there something else in particular that wasn't clear?

-Michael McCoy

Registered Member

Yes | No

Yes that's cleared up. I have something alike exept i don't have catch can. Also I need to reroute tube from head cover somewhere to the bottom as warm oil gasses getting in the saloon of the car and makes window mist.

btw how many HP and torque are you getting? I'm right now at preasure of ~8psi getting 186whp and torque of ~315Nm. At the rear wheels.J.K.jr.bad.
    BMW 527TiS '89
    BMW 316 e21 '82

Michael McCoy

Yes | No

those HP numbers sound a touch low... I was getting 210 hp to the rear wheels at 8psi of boost on the stock 2.5 motor. Or is this an extremely low compression motor?
    A lot has changed since that old 2.5 came out. I need to go put the car on a dyno soon.

-Michael McCoy

Registered Member
    Member No: 64444 matt325is is an unknown quantity at this point matt325is's Avatar

Yes | No

My car put 211hp at around 4k rpm running about 16:1 A/F ratio (LEAN). This was due to my fuel map being too low on megasquirt. Now It runs a LOT better, and should not be lean. I am expecting at least 300 to the wheels at 10psi when I'm done. I will probably tune it up to 12-15psi, just in case I ever need it. The biggest thing holding me back is a way to get the powre to the ground (215-40/17's...). By the way, I fabbed up a new breather, a hose goes to a 1/2" (ID) Conduit box (for home use) that I bought at Home Depot. On the top of that, is a 2" cylindrical filter (bought from Schucks Auto Supply). We will see how it performs, It should work well. Might look to dyno this week.

matt

Registered Member

Yes | No

I have put ETA block and haven't changed anything. So without turbo I was getting 110whp.. :-)
    When spring comes I will measure once more. Rigth now it is too slipery.

Maybe tell us more what have you done on your car. To say share your expiriance.

J.K.jr.bad.
    BMW 527TiS '89
    BMW 316 e21 '82

Registered Member

Yes | No

btw tell me something more about turbo oiling. I'm right now are having problems with it. When engine is cold oil is getting into ext.pipe. Lots of smoking and poluting. :-) I suspect that I have put oil down pipe in wrong location (but the same as you have). And I think that while oil is cold it does not flow down. It stays in the down pipe and overfils it... Any other clue? What about restricting oil preasure to the turbo?J.K.jr.bad.
    BMW 527TiS '89
    BMW 316 e21 '82

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information