+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 17233 kens540 is an unknown quantity at this point kens540's Avatar

Yes | No

M3 shifter install in 540/6

My son replaced the shifter in his '95 M3 coupe w/ an M-coupe shifter and now I will be replacing my "long throw" 97 540/6 shifter w/ his old M3 shifter.

Install seems straight forward, but have a couple of questions:
    - I know I can use two medium flat screwdrivers but thought I'd ask if anyone had a shift lever cup removal tool hanging around from a prior UUC or EVO install?
    - Also, should I just re-use the selector rod washers and securing clip from the existing shifter or are new ones an added ounce of preventive maintenance?
    - Any other things I should consider replacing while I'm doing this job?

TIA,Ken
    '02 325Ci (Jet Black)
    '97 540/6 (Jet Black)
    '90 525i (sold)

Registered Member
    Member No: 24769 tooloose is an unknown quantity at this point tooloose's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: M3 shifter install in 540/6

Hi from the Z3 board. I have not done a shifter change, but have been following techniques posted on the MB in case I get the urge. I recall one guy said he used a metal knock-out plate from the back of a computer - the one you take out if you add a modem, wireless transmitter, etc. It's got a 90 degree bend in it and the metal is thin enough to fit into the "cup". He claimed it worked for him. I looked back a week or two in the postings but could not find his post.

While apart, I would add whatever new pieces you can replace - cheap insurance. I also recall hearing that some lube on the "cup" before you put it together does wonders. I would use a lithium grease, sparingly.

Hope this is food for thought. Good luck.

Ernie Peters
    2000 Z3 steel grey 2.3 5spd w/hardtop

Registered Member
    Member No: 17233 kens540 is an unknown quantity at this point kens540's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks, Ernie . . . good advice.

Ken
    '02 325Ci (Jet Black)
    '97 540/6 (Jet Black)
    '90 525i (sold)

Registered Member
    Member No: 24769 tooloose is an unknown quantity at this point tooloose's Avatar

Yes | No

Additional information on shifter install (m)

Remebered where I saw some information on shifter installation, check the link. Not sure if it is totally applicable to your vehicle, but probably very similar. At any rate, it makes for great reading.

Ernie

Shifter Installation

Registered Member
    Member No: 61417 longjc is an unknown quantity at this point longjc's Avatar

Yes | No

Guard those wheels with your life!

They made them in an E36 offset, but I cannot find them-- i considered getting 540/6 just so i could roll a set

Registered Member
    Member No: 61417 longjc is an unknown quantity at this point longjc's Avatar

Yes | No

Real info- UUC shifter throw is even shorter, also

replace the clip that holds the carrier to the car. a friend had this break on Route 50 and could not change gears. luckily he was in second...

Registered Member
    Member No: 95345 jmig is an unknown quantity at this point jmig's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Guard those wheels with your life!

I have a full set of 5 wheels and tires For Sale. 4 Pirelli P7 Supersports and my spare has a Dunlop. 5000 miles on the P7's. Just had all wheels outer lip high polished, the clearcoat was peeling off. Email me if anyone's interested. 97540i6

Registered Member
    Member No: 78013 ldfshaft is an unknown quantity at this point ldfshaft's Avatar

Yes | No

JMIG What are you asking for your wheels?

CalypsoDiver

Yes | No

Re: M3 shifter install in 540/6

Suggest you read up on the UUC site about the Delrin bushings in the shifter. Mine was done (UUC) awhile back and the guys at Curry told me I'd be making a mistake not to install the Delrin bushings. Go to this site http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/ and click on "comparisons" on the left. It shows all the possibilities, including factory, and runs the pros & cons. Of course, it's a UUC site, but the stuff makes sense. BTW, my UUC short shifter is still great after 2 years.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information