+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Hugo

Yes | No

How to measure exhaust backpressure?

I'm going to construct a new exhaust, but I want to measure it's improvement. Can I measure pressure at the O2 bung 'before and after' exchanging the exhaust? What type of pressures should I get (what meter to use)?

Thanks,

Hugo

Michel.

Yes | No

Re: How to measure exhaust backpressure?

Remove your O2 sensor, or install a 'T' and route a long, heat resistant hose attached to a pressure gauge, and tape it to the windshied.
    I cannot tell you the range of pressure for a Bimmer, but it's the way of doing it.

Jami

Yes | No

Re: exhaust backpressure

Hi!
    I have two gauges at the collector before turbo (both sides, splitted turbinehousing). At 2 bar boost i'm reading about 1.5 to 1.6 bar exh. pressure. Next I'm interested how much the rest of the exh. tubing adds pressure to the whole system. If I have more boost on the intake side than the exhaust then there is some point afterall:) Int.p. must allways be above exh.p.! So I must add measuring points to the exh.pipe. to get the idea of the total resistance of the system.
    I have used normal (cheap) oilp.gauges. Braketube is good to conduct the pressure. About 1 to 1.5 meters and on spiral cools exh. gases down, then I have tubing that came with the gauges (which is too hard - going to silicone hoses in future).
    HTH Jami

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information