+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 72641 tricked is an unknown quantity at this point tricked's Avatar

Yes | No

excessive pressure blowing coolant via cap

Car runs great!, no fouled spark plugs, great compression,no white smoke from tailpipe. however, whenever I boost the engine (10 p.s.i) EXCESSIVE PRESSURE BUILDS UP IN THE COOLANT HOLDING TANK AND BLOWS COOLANT OUT OF THE CAP! I've replaced the thermostat, with a 70, bought a new cap 16psi, don't know what else to do any suggestions? KURT

davide30

Yes | No

so what you think about that

About the Apexi S-AFC , it's a piggyback fuel computer , they work good on bimmer ??? or experience with that computer ???

Michel.

Yes | No

Re: excessive pressure blowing coolant via cap

It looks like a bad head gasket. Combustion chamber pressure is blowing into the coolent circuit.
    A gasket with a firering (I don't know if they exist for Bimmers) would seal better.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: excessive pressure blowing coolant via cap

How can the head gasket be blown if compression is still perfect and there is no evidence of fouled plugs or smoke blown is blown right?

Registered Member
    Member No: 12259 Boru635 is an unknown quantity at this point Boru635's Avatar

Yes | No

It only happens when you\'re under boost so >>>

the increased cylinder pressure, while under boost, is squeezing past the gasket. Under normal driving conditions or when testing the compression the cylinder pressure isn't high enough cause the gasket to leak.

Sweeney

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: It only happens when you\'re under boost so >>>

Thanx for the input! I just replaced this gasket 2 months ago, do you think I should re-torque the head? Or Take the head off have it pressure tested and then re-install? It's discouraging, I've just completely re-built the entire engine and turbo 6 months ago, didn't realize the fuel pressure regulator was missing and burnt up the first head gasket. Kurt

Turbo_Bimmer

Yes | No

Re: It only happens when you\'re under boost so >>>

I don't know if BMW 'torque 'n yield' bolts used on the head are marginal for forced induction, but last summer, I drove the whole summer with my turbo at 6 psi with no problem. Then, in september, I did a 2 day DE, which was most of the time full throtle and full boost. When I came back of the event, my coolant level was a bit low, about 2-3 cup. After a fast inspection, I found some traces of dried coolant on the side of the engine block.
    The head gasket was only 2 year old (did the profile gasket), and the head bolts were also new BMW, of course.

This winter I'm installing a copper head gasket with ARP studs, and the head has been o-ringed. Many people that I talked to said that torque and yield bolts were not the best thing for a blown application, and studs should be used.

Michel.

Registered Member

Yes | No

true that!>>>

Actually I re-torqued my head slightly over specs well about 75 'lbs, but it was that or have to tear it all apart again. I've taken her over 6000 in 1st 2nd and third no problem no broken head bolts-Whew no coolant leaks the gasket was only two months old!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information