+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 101285 jfmonaco is an unknown quantity at this point jfmonaco's Avatar

Yes | No

1998 XK8 Check Engine, Restricted Performance

Hello All,

I purchased a 1998 XK8 Coupe. After driving less than 20 miles, the "Check Engine" light and "Restricted Performance" message appeared in the instrument cluster. At the suggestion of the selling dealership, I disconnected and reconnected the battery. The computer was temporarily cleared, but the problem resurfaced, again within 20 miles of driving.

I am concerned that the problem is more serious than some of the false alarms reported in the posting archives. Symptoms I have observed include (a) engine shudders/pulses at idle or in park and the intensity of the instrument cluster lights seems to dim/brighten in phase with the pulsing (brightness change is slight, but discernible), (b) car vibrated only when going uphill and might be closely tied to depressing accelerator to maintain speed (see next), and (c) modest application of the acclerator to increase speed causes the car to lurch/buck, but EXTREMELY gentle depressing of the pedal avoids the symptom.

The car has a Select Edition warranty through July 2004, and I assume that any problems would be covered under the warranty, correct?

That said, I have additional three questions:

(a) Can anyone provide a likely cause/diagnosis for the problem?

(b) The nearest Jaguar dealership is 80 miles away, and the Service department seem to be alarmed about driving the car this distance to obtain service

(c) Does anyone have experience (positive or negative) with Jaguar service at any dealerships in Washington, DC area or Richmond, VA to help me choose where to have the work done?

Thanks to all for help. It is greatly appreciated.

Jeff Cline

Yes | No

Re: 1998 XK8 Check Engine, Restricted Performance

Sorry to hear about your car's problems.

I can only offer limited information:

(a) At idle my dash lights randomly gently flicker in the same way you are describing yours do. That part seems somewhat normal or at least common based on other people having the same part. Everything else does *not* seem normal

(b) The Select Edition warranty comes with roadside assistance. If you call the number on the Select Edition warranty card, you can get a flat-bed sent to your house to tow the car in to the dealer, free of charge. I guess there could be mileage limitations that I'm not aware of, my car was always towed about 35 miles to the dealer the 3 or 4 times I had to use the wrecker.

(c) I can't help you there.

Jeff

Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 89848 PaulNeko is an unknown quantity at this point PaulNeko's Avatar

Yes | No

The code should be soft or hard coded and stored in your ECU so anyone with a correctly configured OBII diagnostic tool should be able to diagnose the problem. That should be able to determine the severity of the problem and whether the car needs to be towed or not. Just remember that when you disconnect the battery the car has relearn its idle settings, etc, and rough running for 15 to 20 cycles after disconnecting the battery is normal. But if it cleared itself and the Check Engine came on again with a restricted performance message, there is a definite problem.

Registered Member
    Member No: 101285 jfmonaco is an unknown quantity at this point jfmonaco's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks to all. Is an OBII diagnostic reader available to the consumer, and if so where can it be purchased.

Real Tech

Yes | No

This is of course guess work without driving the car myself. It sounds like a misfire caused by an ignition coil or sparkplug. These parts are more likely to misfire under heavy load. Your explanation of hard acceleration and uphill being worse fit in these guidelines.
    Unfortunately the sparkplugs are not covered by select edition warranty as they are a wear/maintenance item. If, however, the valve cover gasket is leaking and allowing oil to pool in the coil/sparkplug recess and contaminating the coil boot they would be covered.

RC

Yes | No

I've heard good things about the service department at Laurel Jaguar in Maryland, although I have no personal experience with that dealership.

delta 5

Yes | No

Not all OBD11 readers work with the Jag system, One that does is the Auterra, see their website. But if you have a warrantee let them sort it out, it is up to them if it is driveable or not.

Registered Member
    Member No: 97065 propjob is an unknown quantity at this point propjob's Avatar

Yes | No

I got mine from Auto Zone

They have OBDII code readers that work on my 97 XK8 and I have used it on numerous other vehicles. The brand is Actron and it was about $150 but has been well worth the price to me.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information