+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Michaelj

Yes | No

This may be a stupid question, is there some law

in some states that you can not pump gas into your car, an attendent has to pump it??????

Registered Member
    Member No: 45540 328tii is an unknown quantity at this point 328tii's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: This may be a stupid question, is there some law

Yes. NJ and Oregon.

Law: You cannot pump your own gas. All gas stations are full service and full service only.
    State: New Jersey

Explanation: Oregeon and New Jersey are the only two states in the United States that require attendents to pump gas at gas stations. There are many arguments for it, but many are not very well substantiated. It is claimed that it should not matter because gas prices are lower in these two states. Insurance costs for gas stations go down slightly if a "qualified attendent" is pumping the gas, but they must also pay for the cost of hiring an extra worker. Combined with varying taxes on gasoline between states, its true affect on gas price is anyone's guess. It is also claimed that having your own gas pumped for you is superior because drivers don't have to brave the elements and fiddle with the gas pump and their gas cap. With the exception of a few elderly and disabled persons, most people are perfectly capable of getting out of their car in a covered area for five minutes and place a nozzle in their gas tank. Another argument is that by forcing consumers to go to gas stations with attendents, it helps out the job market. Opponents argue that employing these people is merely a waste of money, and if jobs are needed, other opportunities could easily be created (i.e. city beatification). Regardless of the truth behind the matter, Oregon and New Jersey are keeping this law on the books and fully enforcing it.

Rob-AceŠ

Yes | No

your right, the other is jersey couldn't remember

where i was last year that pulled that on me.

Michaelj

Yes | No

Sometimes I see 8or9 cars at the pumps(in WI) how

do they handle that, do you have to wait or do they have several attendants?? I think it's insane.

Rob-AceŠ

Yes | No

you cannot pump your own gas in a few

but don't get that confused with full service, the only pump the gas, and it's more expensive because of it.

Rob-AceŠ

Yes | No

oregon is one, and mississipi or alabama maybe

Registered Member
    Member No: 89671 MBkiller is an unknown quantity at this point MBkiller's Avatar

Yes | No

Good \'ole NJ...

In addition to paying the highest real estate taxes and auto insurance in the nation, you have to have an attendant spill gasoline all over the side of your BMW on a regular basis.

There's no justification for this law other than that people don't want to pump their own gas. They know if the law is repealed all the stations will immediately switch to self serve.

When I can, I actually travel 30 minutes, pay a bridge toll, and pay more $$ for gas in PA so that I can pump it myself.

Registered Member
    Member No: 45540 328tii is an unknown quantity at this point 328tii's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Good \'ole NJ...

I don't know. When I lived in Joisey I always pumped my own gas. I would just tell they guy, that's cool, you can take it easy on this one or I'll get it, your busy. Never had a problem. Even now when I travel on the turnpike, I have always pumped my own gas.

Registered Member
    Member No: 61417 longjc is an unknown quantity at this point longjc's Avatar

Yes | No

sometimes i take other car on trips through NJ

They will let you pump your own diesel (NJ turnpike). Weird

Registered Member
    Member No: 96192 Blubim is an unknown quantity at this point Blubim's Avatar

Yes | No

You can pump it in NJ . . .

It is not legal, I suppose, but if the attendant is real busy and I get tired of waiting I pump it myself.

Never had one of them complain. It's less work for them, and it's not like they are working for tips . . .-Josh P.
    2001 530i Steel blue metallic/gray
    40% Huper Optik ceramic tint
    SP/PP/CWP/Xenons/Steptronic/PDC/yada yada yada
    BMW CCA # 195307

Registered Member
    Member No: 89671 MBkiller is an unknown quantity at this point MBkiller's Avatar

Yes | No

Not around here...

If you try to finish pumping it yourself, the attendants get annoyed. Usually rush over and take it away. One told me it's because if a customer spills it, they have to treat it like an environmental spill. Have to put on an environmental suit and follow a tedious clean up process.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information