+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    DC

Yes | No

Re: Hydrolock in 4-6 inches of water...

My 2002 mini (non S) just died on the freeway in Sunny So Cal. First the emissions light came on. While pulling over, the Engine light came on the speedo. By the end of the offramp the car went to sleep. It was 72 degrees. A few days before my wife had driven it in the rain but didn't hit any massive puddles. It was barely raining. In fact she was worried that the rain wouldn't pick up because one of the windshield wipers needed replacing. Keep in mind, this mini drove FINE for 24 miles down a sunny freeway 2 days after the sunny rain. Not to mension NO PROBLEMS for my wife durring the rain and 100 miles back from the destination. So the Dealer is saying Hyrdo-lock, ooh you must have driven, "really fast" through a deep puddle. Gimme a MF break. Ever been to ENGLAND? I saw the inside of the Intake. Liquid was radiator fluid and gas, and (maybe) oil. There was no drop in oil pressure or rise in heat. We watch this thing like an old 60's ford. I have authorized a complete tear-down to the tune of a grand, of which I will eat if this comes up as anything NOT related to a failing "lubricated moving part". This car was running perfect. Something weird is happening with this design. Maybe a head that twists with time and blows a head gasket.
    They have suggested the cost between 9M and 11M. I would like to talk to someone at Mini Cooper about this.
    signed,
    Ben Dover

User Level 1
    Member No: 186333 ronscar77 is an unknown quantity at this point ronscar77's Avatar

Yes | No
    dear Jeff

I feel for you I had asimlar incident concerning my mini. On WEdnesday afternoon two weeks ago I was driving along Main Street at Exit !0 in CT. It started to rain little hard only for five minutes or so. I slowly drove through the rain following other cars. At one point I pulled over because I heard a noise otr a sputtereing in my engine. My car is an 06 and I only had 46,000 miles on it when I pulled over, it then stopped . I had to have it towed to Mini cooper of fairfield county. they told me "IT should be fixed today or tomorrow. Then I didn't hearfrom them. On that next day on Friday the service manager named perter called me and said "I have bad new" I said whay?. He told me my engine is "no googd" I said Why he said it hydrolocked". SO i wouldn't accept his lame excuse by this dealership so I said I will take this further. I called the main headquarers in Ohio and a person named Anthony in customer relation sa said "give me a few days to get to the bottom of this. Well to my dismay theytricked me and then i received letters saing that they were going to charge me for storge retroactice by a guy named Frank Castros out of Darien Ct dealership. Well I went Biserk to hear all of this . NBut they have pcked on the wrong guy I am now trying to get a CLass ACtion suit against them . SO please repond if you have a similar story.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 199.97.121.99

User Level 1
    Member No: 186333 ronscar77 is an unknown quantity at this point ronscar77's Avatar

Yes | No

No doubt bmw and mini coopers has a flaw/ its a scam

Yes believe it or not for all you doubters out there, And let me commend the ones that came forward, there is no doubt that mini cooper dealers are all in on the scam. After reading some of the threads on this water matter, let me tell you that there is no way a car driving through any rain or storm should hydrolock like that. My car has a similar problem , went through light rain, car sputtered within 3 -4 minutes of the rain and now I need a new engine? Common . SO as Jeff explained on his thread, they are calling alll of this "an act of God"! I think the answer is all of you get together and call the 5tttorney General of your state and also Call a CLass action Lawyer. this should be stopped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

User Level 1

Yes | No
    RECALLS for all BMW /mini coopers in
    alleged "Hydrolock WATER in engine claims"in the works.
    The National Highway Traffic Safety Association NHTSA is asking anyone with this problem where mini cooper or BMW delarships are telling you that your car hydrolocked becasue of any amount of water is causing this problem, to please come forward so they can and will issue a recall of this defective BMW Product. the number to call is 1-888-327-4236. you can also go onto www.NHTSA.gov

User Level 1
    Member No: 187656 MikeC526 is an unknown quantity at this point MikeC526's Avatar

Yes | No

Add me to the list...

After driving through a small puddle at a slow speed my engine hydrolocked and is sitting at the dealer right now. It's a 2007 MCS convertible with 42000 miles on it. This is criminal. This is clearly being covered up by the people at Mini/BMW and if anyone wants to start a lawsuit, I'm game.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 68.194.13.37

User Level 1
    Member No: 195386 Kevin153 is an unknown quantity at this point Kevin153's Avatar

Yes | No

Hydrolock Hi I Hydrolocked my car only last week as the river next to the road burst

Hi
    I did this last week in my Mini Cooper 2005 the air in take sucks up water the pistons try to compress it because it has no where to go it bends the con rods and sometimes puts a hole in the block, one thing you should know when this happens never turn the engine over with the plugs in it, as this will for sure destroy your engine, take the plugs out rock the car in gear to push out the water, then try turning it over if all feels fine then your very lucky if not you have destroyed it as I did very expensive lesson car for road boat for water.
    Quote Originally Posted by jnimeroff View Post
    Greetings,

I live in a remote area of Jersey and my street was flooded. After reading in my manual that you should drive the Cooper through more than a foot of water (very slowly), I decided that I would be able to make it out of my development, through 4-6 inches of water, if I drove slowly. I drove slowly through the water and made it out no problem. 25 feet down the road the car starts sputtering. I shut it down and wait 5 minutes. I try to start the car and it sputters so I shut it down and call roadside assistance. They take the car to my dealership for a checkup.

My dealership calls me the next day and tells me it will cost $7,500 for the installation of a new engine and that my insurance will have to cover it because it is an "act of god." I am very ticked off since I followed the manual in its letter and spirit.

I decide to chat with my sales manager and come to find that they have had 10-12 Coopers that have hydrolocked, and 0 Cooper S's (due to the placement of the air intake). A stupid salesman who was listening in on my conversation actually jumped in an blurted out, "that wouldn't have happened if you had a S." I am thinking design flaw and want Mini to pick up the tab for fixing my car, or let me turn her back in and I will purchase a new S.

Has anyone else had such difficulties?

Best,
    Jeff
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 92.40.254.245

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information