+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 64444 matt325is is an unknown quantity at this point matt325is's Avatar

Yes | No

Dyno Results

Well, this time at the dyno was a good day. This is my 2.8l, 8:1 compression, t4 turbo, 32lb/hr injectors, megasquirt engine management, msd-6btm ignition...

So, here is the scoop, these figures are at 10psi, and if we tried to go higher, it would detonate (most likely cause by too hot of plugs, so I bought colder ones after the dyno, I will gap them tomorrow and see how they do). We tried 15psi, and it was a NICE gain, but had to shut it down once it started detonating.

266.50 rwhp , 273.11 rwtq

Around 319hp and 327tq at the crank.

I am very happy with these results. They said I would get some gains if I had larger exhaust (mine is only 2.5"), and colder/regapped spark plugs.

Pics, the low figures are from last year when it was a 2.8l low compression, with 19lb/hr injectors and NO TURBO.

http://matt325i.home.comcast.net/tunedturbodyno.jpg
    http://matt325i.home.comcast.net/afratio.jpg

You can see we riched it out up top do avoid detonation. It might have been backpressure, since the exhasut is only 2.5".

Then we tried 15psi, but could only get to 4k rpm before we hit detonation.
    http://matt325i.home.comcast.net/15psi.jpg

There is still room for more power, just need to tweak it some more.

Turbo_Bimmer

Yes | No

Re: Dyno Results

Are you running one injector per cylinder (32lb per cyl?)
    If yes, you are quite close to the limit of the injectors. If I rember well, hp=32lb/0.55 => 58hp per cyl X 6 = 349. This is at 100% duty cycle. Also, when they specify 32lb, there may be a error range (-4% error on calibration = 30.7lb).
    What does the O2 sensor says when it detonates?, fuel pressure??
    With 8.0:1 CR, you shouldn't have detonation at 10psi of boost.

BTW, if you find colder plugs, tell me what # you got. I had no succes finding a colder plug for my engine either with NGK or Bosch.

Registered Member
    Member No: 64444 matt325is is an unknown quantity at this point matt325is's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Dyno Results

Yes, 1 injector per cylinder.

When it detonates it reads about 11:1 (on a wideband sensor). Not sure what the fuel pressure is at, but it should be a problem. I think there mihgt be too much backpressure in the exhasut system though. When we ran 15psi, some exhaust came out of the v-band clamp that secures the downpipe to the turbo, so I mgiht need to go with a 3" exhaust. I bought Autolite (i know.. they are crappy) plugs, just go to your local autoparts store and ask for a colder set for your certain car.

later,

matt

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information