Help me select best turbo for my E-30 327is

Engine:

2.7 w/ Forged Crank
    E Pistons/Rods
    i Head,Cam,Intake,Throttle
    19 Lbs. Injectors, RRFPR, 2 Fuel Pumps
    Motronic 1.3

Turbo Choice #1

Turbonetics T3/T4 TO4B W/ STAGE 3 COMPRESSSOR WHEEL, T3 STAGE 3 TURBINE, A/R .63

TURBO CHOICE #2

GARRETT T-3, 60 TRIM COMPRESSOR WHEEL, 69 TRIM TURBINE, A/R .48

TURBO CHOICE #3

????????????????????????

89325iturbo

Yes | No

Re: Help me select best turbo for my E-30 327is

First let us know what kind of power you want to make? If you plan on sticking with those 19lb injectors you won't be doing crazy boost, probably around 10psi. If thats the case i would go with choice number two. If you think your going to do some more upgrades in the future, and want more boost go with choice number one.

Registered Member
    Member No: 15900 BADBMW1986 is an unknown quantity at this point BADBMW1986's Avatar

Yes | No

What injector size would you recomend? More,,,

I am not set on anything, this includes injectors. I do want "Crazy Boost"!!!

I am always upgrading something until i get it right and have learned my lesson by not making the right choice. I no longer wish to upgrade things that are already upgraded.

I do not want to get into a situation where i need to replace a brand new turbo because it will not or never meet my needs. I would much rather spend my money buying custom pistons, rods or change injectors.

I have a mass air unit to install, but am looking into megasquirt.

Please edit my formula if you need to...

Brian

P.S. I will have a full write up when the system is complete...

Registered Member
    Member No: 15900 BADBMW1986 is an unknown quantity at this point BADBMW1986's Avatar

Yes | No

BEST E30 EVER!!!

89325iturbo

Yes | No

Re: What injector size would you recomend? More,,,

Since i don't know how much horsepower your looking for its hard to gauge. You seem like you want decent power, so a boost range between 10-14psi which is pretty good amount for m20's. With that boost range i would run 24lb,or 30lb. It also kind of depends on which turbo you use. The bigger t3/t4-b is going to push more air at the same psi, then just the the t3 is i don't know how much more, but obviously since its pushing more air your car you would need more fuel. I beleive the eqation for figuring injectors size on turbo cars is.
    Estimate how much crank horse power you want x .55 divided by the number of cylinders in our case 6. If it falls in between sizes go to the larger size.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Twin Turbo E-30 Article Babel Fished. What Turbos?

Turbo BMW in Denmark BMW club Denmark
    Somewhere in Denmark..... A small gas station in a small village Article of Palle Bo Madsen, MSc EE, BMW club Denmark (1625). In a small village in Denmark I drove past at a gas station and often refuelled also sometimes there. Everyone times lay a Brise BMW Feeling over this place repeatedly was a BMW in the workshop to be seen or parked outside. A daily I the friendly lady in the kiosk asked whether you member BMW club Denmark would be....? On it I in the workshop, I was located briefly saw a E30 325i, a E36 M3 and a E30 323i. Under a cover very more beautifully a 2002 stood tii - the Story follows later. After admiring tii, we spoke about the other interesanten things, with which Finn and its son are occupied. .......Turbo and pressure loading of BMW engines......On a stand 6 Zyl stood. Engine mount, which as 500 HP a turbo engine turned out. It had traces around all cylinders and channels of steel rings of the cylinder head gasket to secure with the task dieselbige if the load pressure becomes too high. This is a general-well-known problem of turbo engines. Weiterhind gave it here a turning lathe, on which the pistons are changed for compression sinking. Otherwise the engine does not bear the high load pressure. Series pistons are used - a surprise for me, because I often heard that forged pistons are necessary, in order to bear the increased heat turbo engine better. All engines are normally divided, changed, balanced and weight-optimized all mobile parts, on a balance for fine tuning - accuracy 1/100 gram. Production items have normally large differences in weight - for example the difference between the easiest and the heaviest piston can amount to 2-4 gram. A series piston of a 325i weighs about 155 gram. The piston rods weigh about 608 gram per piece and the difference between that easiest and the heaviest can up to 6-8 gram amount to. Special pistons can be used, in addition, special piston rods from Titanium. Around the engines, after these comprehensive changes, well for running to wars naturally the chips are exchanged. There was in the workshop also an engine with polished channels, worked over again valve gears, specially-easy valve holding, specially-easy rocker arms and vielem more. Everything very proffesionell made. Finn and Henrik said that it is a very time-intensive work to make so a head. High achievement fast and easily reached during the nachruestung of a Turbos - to be optimized therefore it is the air intakes not necessarily the channels lengthily to be polished and. Finn and Henrik are with me an opinion that tauter valve springs cause only larger consumption, because it is more strength necessarily around the feathers/springs together to press. The engine carries out this work constantly and only which one theoretically reached, is a larger security that the valves close before it are too late - so that one does not kriegt valve and piston salad (very expensively). A reasonable alternative could be to buy simply new valve springs - a feather/spring will old, tired and more softly and can break. After Finn and Henriks opinion is not so crucial the piston speed because of modern engine oils - a crankshaft of a 325eta or a Diesel results in because of the larger stroke a higher piston speed in the case of high revolutions, but that is not a problem. For the engines, which built Finn and Henrik, fed with pressure, it is to be gotten with higher than 6000 revolutions no more at torque. But the torque from down is so large that one can accelerate well, even if one already shifts up with 6000 revolutions. In order to protect the ignition cables and ignition cable plugs from the heat from the turbocharger to, an extra heat shield is cultivated - manufactured from the original heat shield. Fan elbow unions are not used together with turbo-changes. Likewise are not so important like said polished channels, if one uses a turbo. BMW 320i turbo Finn has a civilized turbo-car - a 320i of 1983 with an individual turbocharger. The car looks like a good-received original E30'er. The engine was totally divided and all parts was balanced and optimized. The loader is water-cooled and the engine compartment nearly a work of art. The engine compartment witnesses from perfect hanwerklichen being able with an eye for details and beauty. Anodized and polished parts, steal-reinforced hoses and so on. Finn means that the achievement of this engine is with approximately 260 HP. A test run and when normal driving was permitted to me is completely civilized and calm this car - your nut/mother would not notice that it is a sow-fast, high performance car. No no-load operation problems or torque weaknesses in the lower speed range. But if one steps drauf, then one notices it completely fast. A usual overhauling procedure on the highway from 80 km/h goes very briskly - the load pressure develops itself very fast, hardly a turbo-hole. The speed at the end of the overhaul is substantially higher than in series a 325i - so high that also my driving licence became hot. The only something Unangehme is that jerks of the car, when sudden gas taking away under full load with high load pressure, caused by the Wastegate (relief valve) which the positive pressure raus leaves. To this characteristic one can probably get accustomed. The engine is very vibration-free and quiet - in the no-load operation one does not hear that he runs. Balancing partly causes that the engine runs very calmly and the turbo absorbs the acoustic level additionally, so that one hears nearly nothing in the no-load operation. Everything in the everything a car that in the everyday life is well usable, in addition, high achievement to deliver can. On the question about the price, Finn anwortet that a turbo-kit (single) is cultivated, with all good detailed solutions also with the balancing of rotary parts ungefaehrt about 7500 DM. If one then one the relationship HP per 1000, - DM sees, then one kriegt approximately 12 HP for 1000 DM. BMW 323i biturbo Finn's son Henrik has a E30 323i with two Turbo's and about 350 HP. Henrik tells on its reserved kind that it about 13.2 seconds from 0 to 200 km/h lasts (this compares engine times with Hartges new E46 with V8!!). At this car the entire Innenaustattung disappeared. The cab looks, as if the car took degrees away from the assembly-line, briefly before noise suppression plates is glued to, seats and interior equipment installed. Only 2 Jamex Racing of seats, Rallye instruments and suspender belts are present. Carpet, noise suppression, rear seats, interior clothes belongs to the department of unnecessary luxury. A sentence hearing protection and a helmet is here however obligation. The engine compartment with the innumerable modifications looks very good. Everything is implemented with care and with feeling for perfect details. No coincidental spotwelds and no equipment place was installed where coincidental. Intake manifolds and valve covers are sand-radiated, anodized and polished. Optically very much convincing. The two Garret turbochargers cooled with water suck in air by two KN performance kit, which is installed in the right part of the engine compartment laterally next to each other. A the little before the other one (see photo). Air is led by the Turbos to the front part engine compartment by two pipes under the Turbos and the KN filters. Before the radiator air goes through an intercooler, before it is pressed by a modified amount of air measurer by a 535i. Henrik blocked the amount of air measurer from place problems down laterally at a fender. From the amount of air measurer air goes through a smooth pipe to the butterfly valve connecting piece. The chassis is equipped with Bilsteindaempfern and a small setting lower by Eibachfedern. Aluminum wishbones in front and large adjustable stabilizer of Eibach as well as a large Brembo sport brake assembly with 2 pistons is blocked. Cathedral prop in front, but not in the back, where it finds however a spare wheel and a weight. I was taken tightened in the narrow Sit on the front seat passenger side and on a test run. The car drives 205/55 R15 with Yokohama ADVAN - a running tire - and the noise of the tires and the engine is arduously, even at low speeds. If Henrik accelerates the car with full power, it becomes very interesting. The car winds up extremely fast the courses -, fast by force and with the loud howling of the two Turbos, everyone times if the course is changed. The Yokohamas bites well into the bitumen, but loud. I have difficulties to take in account which course we to have reached. A short view of the Tacho says to me that we reached the maximum speed of my BMW for a long time and I concentrate again on the road before the car... Then Henrik steps on the brake - and we hang in the belts... It is hard, but one can get accustomed to. My own E30 325i feels a little lamely and passage-weakly on the home journey... perhaps should one...?

Registered Member
    Member No: 48382 M-technik-3 is an unknown quantity at this point M-technik-3's Avatar

Yes | No

check this company out TCD

http://www.turbochargingdynamics.com/

They are new and there product is well developed for the M30 and the M20. They have good numbers and decent prices.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information