+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered Member
    Member No: 73900 jayadam63 is an unknown quantity at this point jayadam63's Avatar

Yes | No

Check Headlight Warning? $2.99 Solution! (m) --

You have the check headlight warning after installing your HID kit?

Please DON'T, I repeat DON'T pay $.01 to anyone for anything to fix this problem. Understand the problem and then take control.

The problem is caused by the fact that BMW expects that the circuit between the pos and neg on the headlights be closed -- as if a lightbulb were installed. If this circuit is open, than the DME thinks the bulb is burned out.

Many ballasts out there do not provide this closed circuit and thus, your car thinks that the headlight(s) are burned out and you get the warning.

The fix?

It's really simple. Add a bulb in parallel to the low voltage side of the ballast. See my Hid Retrofit page for more information. It's a CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP yet neat and viable solution to the problem.

It really makes me frustrated to see people trying to sell little boxes that provide resistance when it's SOOO unnecessary for such a simple problem.

I hope this truly HELPS people as I'm not interested in $.01 of your money.

Peace.
    GREEN MONSTER
    VT Green 1997 740iL
    WOLFIE FILES
    Photos & Webcam
    RED FLY
    Chili Red 2003 MCS

Mr Grean

Yes | No

Re: Check Headlight Warning? $2.99 Solution! (m) --

I thank you for your detailed atricle on the "conversion kit". I do have a question. As you know, the beam patern on a genuine HID setup is controled by the reflector and lens and precise positioning of the HID bulb in a factory designed setup. If you install a HID bulb in a normal non-HID light system, as your article seems to show, how do you stop blinding oncoming cars or give you enough light to see in all conditions? You can't just stick HID into halogen and have it work properly...in spite of what some of these kits tell you. Please accept my apology in advance If I missed the replacement of the stock lens, reflector etc in your article.

Registered Member
    Member No: 73900 jayadam63 is an unknown quantity at this point jayadam63's Avatar

Yes | No

Mr Grean -- My car has a projector with a sharp

Mr Grean -- My car has a projector with a sharp Cutoff from the factory. The project is the same one they use with the HID option from the factory.

If you'd done your research before writing your you'd know. There is no need to replace the lense or reflector because there is none. It's plainly obvious in the how-to if you'd read it.

Your post is nothing more than an attempt to state your opinons regarding aftermarket HID projects. That's fine. But to judge all such projects the same way with such ignorance is really demeaning to your intellect and your post.

Mr. Grean, truly smart people never underestimate the intellect of others before typing or speaking.

Please accept my apology in advance if I missed the part where you say you're sorry for missing the obvious.
    GREEN MONSTER
    VT Green 1997 740iL
    WOLFIE FILES
    Photos & Webcam
    RED FLY
    Chili Red 2003 MCS

Registered Member
    Member No: 6622 pcy13 is an unknown quantity at this point pcy13's Avatar

Yes | No

Troll

[email protected]
    http://hobbystage.net/bmw/drpaul/
    1993 Diamantschwarz Euro 850CSi with Dark/Light Grey two-tone interior

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Troll -- You give him too much credit!

Check out his other posts --

He enjoys spending time lecturing people (sometimes sarcastically other times passive/aggressively) on the dangers of aftermarket HID's. Only he knows the issues and those kits are just evil -- in all circumstances (sarcasm).

It's sad, but it's his crusade. It's a shame it's not something more worthy like feeding the starved or cleaning up the planet....

Oh well.
    GREEN MONSTER
    VT Green 1997 740iL
    WOLFIE FILES
    Photos & Webcam
    RED FLY
    Chili Red 2003 MCS

Registered Member
    Member No: 99142 ominx is an unknown quantity at this point ominx's Avatar

Yes | No

nice...

Mr Grean

Yes | No

Re: Mr Grean -- My car has a projector with a sharp

Then I guess that this gentleman who runs a lighting business and posts here on this board also doesn't know what he is doing? You are surely entitled to your opinion. I prefer to base mine on facts.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

Registered Member

Yes | No

Citing Daniel J Stern.....

He's very knowledgeable. Many people are knowledgeable. But knowledge w/o context is useless and can be very dangerous. History is full of tragic yet smart figures. Sadly, you're neither -- you simply blindly cite the words of others as gospel so others will somehow think you are smart.

Citing others as the basis for bestowing your opinion when your point falls apart due to misapplication is quite void and clearly not persuasive. Talk about discrediting the speaker -- you did it to yourself.

My car has projectors with sharp cutoffs that have notches in the center and then trail up to the passengers side. HID projectors, my friend, not reflectors and lenses. They're the same as the HID's from the factory on my car. Can you not comprehend this?

If you're that in love with Daniel J. Stern and his opinions (not a pretty site, I might add), please re-read his prose with the knowledge that I already have HID projectors. Projectors with a sharp cutoff that's properly adjusted is the relevant issue.

Merely citing his opinions makes you, well, null and void.

I wish you well, but you appear hoplessly lost.
    GREEN MONSTER
    VT Green 1997 740iL
    WOLFIE FILES
    Photos & Webcam
    RED FLY
    Chili Red 2003 MCS

E32fast4U

Yes | No

Re: Mr Grean -- My car has a projector with a shar

Grean's right. The projectors are NOT the same for halogen vs. Xenon, and the difference is NOT just the bulb holder. They look the same from a foot away, sure, but the lens and reflector are different. A sharp cutoff is one part of a good low beam, but the mere existence of a sharp cutoff doesn't mean "git outta jail free", because you still have to worry about the distribution of light below the cutoff. It's never right with Xenon bulbs retrofitted into halogen projectors.

The constant factor, though, is the guys who buy the "HID kits" get very, very defensive when the problems with this sort of hack are pointed out to them.

I guess people like Grean get strident because it's not just your own safety you're screwing with your not-actually-upgraded-despite-what-you-think headlights, it's everyone's safety who is on your same road.

///

Registered Member

Yes | No

Interesting.

Another Daniel J Stern loyal customer, I see....
    GREEN MONSTER
    VT Green 1997 740iL
    WOLFIE FILES
    Photos & Webcam
    RED FLY
    Chili Red 2003 MCS

E32fast4U

Yes | No

Re: Interesting.

Well, hey, y'know what? I've been into performance car lighting for about 3 decades now, and I've been experimenting and learning and trying things out and gathering experience since well before Stern came on the scene. I've bought a lot of lighting from him, and I've bought a lot of lighting from plenty of other places. I have no particular loyalty to Stern, but the guy definitely knows his sh*t, he doesn't just blow smoke or tell people what they want to hear to make a sale or hype whatever he happens to want to sell. That is ultra rare these days. Mock him all you want, but every single one of his statements matches my own experience, and I haven't yet been able to stump him by asking WHY something is the case.

There's a reason folks bring up his name whenever discussions like this occur.

///

E32fast4U

Yes | No

Just found this

Knew I had it somewhere, dug through some boxes in the basement and found it. It's a translation into English of a German-language technical paper by Bosch Lighting engineer Rainer Neumann from 1987. The translation is quirky in that way that only German-into-English can be, but the message gets through. The paper is called "Further Improvements In Dipped Beam Performance with Polyellipsoidal Optics And Litronic technology". (All that was probably one big German word...)

"Litronic" is Bosch's trade name for HID/Xenon bulbs and ballasts. The "Polyellipsoidal optics" are projector headlamps. "Dipped beam" is a European term for low beam.

Here's the relevant extract:

"[...]Of course the most rapid method is to insert the new light source into an existing optic package through modified bulb fixing hardware. This is unsatisfactory because the reflecting surface and condenser lens in existing polyellipsoidal optic packages for halogen are not conceived to work with Litronic. The result is therefore tremendous excessive foreground illumination and undesireable changes in the light distribution near and below the cutoff line. At the same time, the cutoff itself maintains nearly correct formation. Characteristics of Litronic are sufficiently divergent from traits of filament bulbs that a new solution is needed to the reflecting surface and the condenser lens to bring optical rectitude to the assembly. Moreover, changes are necessary to the cutoff plate in order to comply with the anti-dazzle provisions present in dipped beam regulations worldwide[...]"

Now, that jibes with what Grean and I have been saying, and it jibes with what Stern says, and it jibes with the DOT ban on HID kits, but I guess the real question is: Are you really going to argue you know better than the engineers who designed the lamps you modified? If so, I sure hope you have an advanced degree in optics, or at least got full performance data (usually requires a light tunnel, do you have one?) for a before-and-after comparison to make sure your modification works as well as you seem to think.

Somethin' to chew on, anyway.

///

Registered Member

Yes | No

Missing the point!!!!

I AGREE WITH YOU ALL 100% that just a bulb change is not acceptable in many situations. But please don't lump all HID upgrade installs in the same category. This article is from 1987 and speaks in generalities.

Have you pulled the gutz of a 1997 740iL halogen headlight projector assembly and compared that to the exact same car with HID's?

If you haven't, then what are we talking about? An article with data from 1987?
    GREEN MONSTER
    VT Green 1997 740iL
    WOLFIE FILES
    Photos & Webcam
    RED FLY
    Chili Red 2003 MCS

Mr Grean

Yes | No

Re: Mr Grean -- My car has a projector with a shar

Thanks E32....there are none so blind as those who will not see. My point exactly. I attempted to open a cordial discussion and had a ton of bricks land on me.
    I also work in a business where I see the effects of people who install these kits under the mistaken impression that what they are doing is safe (we both pointed out how they are not) and legal ( the Fed Govt has banned the sale of kits). So that make you, me, science & the Fed Govt all wrong.... I apologize on behalf of us all. No offence was intended from us...

Registered Member

Yes | No

Dishonest, disingenuous and passive / aggressive.

I read your other posts. I know your crusade.

"I attempted to open a cordial discussion and had a ton of bricks land on me."

That's a lie. Your first post was laden with sarcasm. Anyone who ends a post with "Please accept my apology in advance If I missed the replacement of the stock lens, reflector etc in your article" when they know full well that aspect isn't referenced has already admitted they've taken the platform for their own agenda. It's passive aggressive and very dishonest.

This thread, if you read back to the beginning, is about helping people avoid a check lowbeam failure for about no cost and not being ripped off by sellers who peddle $85 resister boxes. It was to help others for a specific purpose.' It wasn't to debate the evils of HID upgrades.

Start your own thread regarding the evils of HID upgrades and invite E32fast4U to post instead of hijacking my thread regarding another subject. Have some courage to do that instead of hijacking other threads for your crusade. If you're the thread starter, you have to own up to it. It's a different ballgame, don't you think?

And regarding those "bricks" -- you reap what you sow.

I'm out.

To those of you I tried to help save a buck -- Peace.
    GREEN MONSTER
    VT Green 1997 740iL
    WOLFIE FILES
    Photos & Webcam
    RED FLY
    Chili Red 2003 MCS

Registered Member
    Member No: 67440 bonzo is an unknown quantity at this point bonzo's Avatar

Yes | No

Jay, TRY DE-CAF

Registered Member
    Member No: 67440 bonzo is an unknown quantity at this point bonzo's Avatar

Yes | No

NO Hanging Chad here

I'm going to get a set of 96 volt landing lights off a Boing 747 and duct tape them to my bumper. They are'nt DOT but who cares, they're FAA approved, might have to get another battery or two. Wish me luck.

Mr. MaGoo

Registered Member

Yes | No

LOL!!!!

Take pics!!!
    GREEN MONSTER
    VT Green 1997 740iL
    WOLFIE FILES
    Photos & Webcam
    RED FLY
    Chili Red 2003 MCS

Mr Grean

Yes | No

Re: Dishonest, disingenuous and passive / aggressive.

Jay, don't look now but I think I see a black helicopter flying above your house>

Registered Member

Yes | No

LOL!!!

Maybe so -- but if so, the headlight police are in it!!!
    GREEN MONSTER
    VT Green 1997 740iL
    WOLFIE FILES
    Photos & Webcam
    RED FLY
    Chili Red 2003 MCS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information