+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tim in South Australia
    Member No: Tim in South Australia's Avatar

Yes | No

What's wrong with this picture?

And the story that goes with it?

More fun and games on Ebay!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2463796179&indexURL=4&photoDisplayType=2

Registered Member
    Member No: 7349 bruno74 is an unknown quantity at this point bruno74's Avatar

Yes | No

OK, I'll bite. What?

Registered Member
    Member No: 3996 stevetall is an unknown quantity at this point stevetall's Avatar

Yes | No

No such thing from Alpina

Delia

Yes | No

Compared to this?

schnell540

Yes | No

Since Alpina custom build cars to order

I don't understand why not. It is not an early 70s catalogue model, but that doesn't mean it wasn't built by Alpina, does it?

Registered Member
    Member No: 18885 kehoe2002 is an unknown quantity at this point kehoe2002's Avatar

Yes | No

they relocated ashtray? very rare gauge pod...

i saw a similar , more than 3 hole pod, in Boris Said's ride for the Monterey Historics 2003. BMW NA had Said's PTG mechanic help reconstruct a real deal Alpina 2002 ti racer. The car had mechanical issues and did not finish the race, as I recall. But there were several in car cam shots that were great. I think Boris' car had a pod with 4 holes. Those race cars had a lot of "one-off" things done to them from what I can tell. I think it is difficult to categorically say whether Alpina was doing the same thing to each car, at that time. Especially for race /hill climb cars. And, over 30 years people add or poach equipment from these cars. It is very difficult to find one that has all the "OEM" equipment from delivery at that time. Even for a one owner car, stuff breaks and cannot be found again, etc. Too bad Alpina failed to keep any/many records on the cars. They had no idea that 30 years later their equipment would be so coveted. I have corresponded with Alpina ,and with a worker in the shop, and the 2002 stuff has been NLA for a long time. I think that if you find equipment, or even a car that was an Alpina creation, they will still redo it, at the shop, for a price. They still have the mechanical expertise to build a 2002, you just have to source the equipment. EG: the Inka Touring featured in BMW Scene( Britain? ) several months ago. A Swiss guy bought the car and sourced the Alpina engine and other goodies, and the article discusses how Alpina rebuilt the car for him. Very cool, very rare.

Tim in South Australia

Yes | No

Well, I\'d like to know.....

1. How many other documentary records exist to substantiate the existence of a three car Alpina rally team sent to South America as early as 1967. When did they really start to race and rally 02's in Europe? And North America?

2. If that was ever a genuine 1967 Alpina, how much has survived apart from the aircleaner, seats and instrument pod?

3. Who was responsible for the hideous early eighties hoop spoiler?

4. Ditto the red Alpina decals and that black painted chrome work? And the pseudo CSL roundels on the 'C' pillars? Methinks someone doeth try to hard!

5. Aren't those the early Three series radial spoke alloys that don't fit properly under stock 02 wings as the offset is wrong?

6. Where are/were the strut braces and roll cage that even mid-sixties rally cars tended to have?

7. Okay it has twin Webers, but isn't that a stock exhaust manifold lurking under the engine?

8. Whoever heard of an 02 based Bat Mobile?! The term only originated in the early seventies with the CSL's didn't it?

Okay, it looks mean to the uninitiated, but surely it is now mostly a "bitsa", even if it did originally darken the doors at Buchloe's finest. The story doesn't ring true to me, and the car looks internally inconsistent. I take the point that Alpina did put that type of flare on an 02, but as early as 67, on a 1600 rally car? Why?

Come on guys, help me out here. There must be people who know far more about 02's than me who can confirm or deny some of this stuff.

Registered Member
    Member No: 15590 RIP is an unknown quantity at this point RIP's Avatar

Yes | No

Wheres the alpina serial number plaque????

This guy sounds like the worst stereotype of a used car salesman...very cool looking car....I did not see a picture of the plaque with the alpina serial number which I understand they all came with. The negative ebay comments also say alot. I understand the alpina plaque will let you trace history...Wondr why its missing?Tii distributor

Tim in South Australia

Yes | No

I\'d love to be wrong, but.....

I don't think it can be genuine: can some-one prove me wrong? Read the article in this month's Classic Cars about fakes and forgeries, then read this ad and tick off all the boxes!

It's probably a fun car to drive, but if I were spending that much dough, I'd go for Matt's orange racer further down this page.

Registered Member
    Member No: 3996 stevetall is an unknown quantity at this point stevetall's Avatar

Yes | No

If it was real, we\'d have seen it before.

It's hard to keep something like this a secret. At the very least, Alpina would have shown it off somewhere along the way.

It does look like fun, though, and I have nothing against a custom sled. But why claim it to be an original? To drive up the price with the uninitiated, of course! Hell, give Alpina a call and see what they have to say.

Lee

Yes | No

What a joke. Who are they gonna catch with that?

Registered Member
    Member No: 93077 Midyrcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point Midyrcoupe's Avatar

Yes | No

It\'s been on eBay before...

No bidders!
    Mike K.
    '72tii Malaga
    '97 E39 Canyonrot met.

Registered Member
    Member No: 93077 Midyrcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point Midyrcoupe's Avatar

Yes | No

Check the sellers feedback

Sounds like he's a nice chap, yeah, right!
    Mike K.
    '72tii Malaga
    '97 E39 Canyonrot met.

Registered Member
    Member No: 19448 dembooks is an unknown quantity at this point dembooks's Avatar

Yes | No

and how come only (2,758 [?]) Shelby 350 GT 's

.... were made , BUT NOW 4,700 + are seen on the street ?? (my numbers are wrong , but you get the point )

have fun !

Delia

Yes | No

Question #4. C - Pillar Logo

Registered Member
    Member No: 48599 fhaas is an unknown quantity at this point fhaas's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Wheres the alpina serial number plaque????

It's my understanding that the alpina plaque cars didn't start until 1978 with the B7 turbo.... The 2002/1600's wouldn't have a plaque.

As for if this is a real car or not? The only way to tell is contact alpina directly with the engine number and the VIN. It is possible that a SA Alpina distributor built this car w/alpina bits. (engine/suspension etc) and did race it in SA....... but who knows? Either way I'd say it's been modified since from the fender flairs and such, those wouldn't be correct for 1967 vintage.....

Could be real.... or a fake.... no way to tell from this auction. If it where in the USA and cheap, I'd buy it.

WH
    (3) B7's

Delia

Yes | No

More info here...

Really, I've no idea as to the authenticity of this car. It appears to be a early shell (fuse box on left inner fender) and has what may be a legitimate Alpina VIN.

There are few folks who are experts who frequent this board, Vince, Mark, and others, who could help you, if you are seriously interested.

Happy research!
    Delia
    '73tii
    Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

http://www.bmw2002.web.pt/english/02competition.htm#1968

Registered Member

Yes | No

Put down the crack pipe. It's not helping!

Registered Member
    Member No: 18885 kehoe2002 is an unknown quantity at this point kehoe2002's Avatar

Yes | No

I don\'t think the 1600s and 02s received numbered

plaques. I have seen a famous Alpina, that was assembled in the states for Max Hoffman, that received an Alpina logo for the dash, but not the plaque as seen on the B cars, later on. Unless one can be right with this car, put it in the air, examine components closely, look at the documented history and provenance,( if any), I do not think anyone will be able to say authoritatively that it is a factory Alpina ralley car. There were too many cars ,assembled by competent shops throughout the world , in "the day" . Alpina had "distributors" some claiming exclusivity for an area, some lucky to be able to stockpile some important parts, who could build an Alpina from Alpina parts they ordered from the factory. I know of an early 2002 in the Bay area that is one such car. A former Alpina distributor , in 1973, who had a twin carb, Alpina engined, track/race car assembled/built in Northern Califirnia. As genuine a car as you can find- every Alpina part available at the time is in this car- but it is not an "Alpina" in the sense that it is not the product of the factory.Is it an Alpina? Depends on how you define things. The car is still highly regarded for its contents and for its accomplishments on the track over 25 years. But, to a collector, it is probably not a "true Alpina, because it was not assembled at the Alpina factory. We establish these cars' value when we buy them...there are too few cars and too few records to be able to refer to an established price level for an "Alpina 2002". We might reward a car for all its bits, who built the car, who used it and where... maybe like a Vasek car. But,trying to establish Alpina provenance is almost impossible these days, unless the car comes with a tight and honest ownership history and with pictures/results from competitions over the years.This would have required dedicated foresight of the first owner and dedication among every subsequent owner. Not many cars can provide this detail. A private car may be traceable by VIN # with BMW ,if it was one of the shells sent to Alpina for initial build.I would not get a headache over this car. I think it requires an on-site inspection and validation. Remote conjecture from pictures would not make me feel confident about it's authenticity. Good luck with the hunt///

Rear Wheel Drive

Yes | No

south african rallye car... it could have happened

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information