+ Reply to Thread
    Michael

Yes | No

Adding Harman/Kardon amp to base system

My 1998 XK8 has the Harman/Kardon system, but not the upgraded version with amp (found on XKR's). I was considering purchasing the Harman/Kardon amp that comes with the XKR (Part No. LNG4170AA) and installing on my XK8 along with upgraded rear speakers. Does anyone know whether or not all XK's are pre-wired for the amp so that all I have to do is add the amp or will I have to wire all the way to the head unit? Also, will any additional modifications have to be made? I'm also open for any additional ideas on how to "beef-up" my sound system without losing factory look. Thanks!

Registered Member
    Member No: 89099 crispy5974 is an unknown quantity at this point crispy5974's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Adding Harman/Kardon amp to base system

The XKs with the 'base' system come with all the speakers pre-wired from the speaker connector under the console, whether the actual drivers are installed or not. However, they do not come with the wiring from the head unit to the amp or from the amp to the speaker connector under the centre console, you will need to buy and install these seperately - I believe the cable from the head unit to the amp is particularly expensive.

I posted a few weeks back on how to beef up the sound system for a lot less cost than the factory HK system, have a search for it.

Registered Member
    Member No: 85821 LotusJPS is an unknown quantity at this point LotusJPS's Avatar

Yes | No

I installed this upgrade in my XK and it wasn't terribly difficult. Like Crispy says you do need to install the wiring from the head unit to the amp and from the amp to the speaker junction, but all the wiring to the speakers are there. The plus side the the HK system is that it sounds great and doesn't show at all. If you don't mind the amplifier showing in the trunk I'm sure you could have an after market system installed that sounds as good for as much if not less money.

Registered Member
    Member No: 89099 crispy5974 is an unknown quantity at this point crispy5974's Avatar

Yes | No

With a bit of constructive engineering you can hide away an aftermarket amp too - I attached my Alpine amp to the top of the metal cage which the CD player sits in, pretty much the same place as the H/K amp I think.

I don't know the complete cost of going the HK way but my aftermarket system cost about 300 ($550) all-in for the amp, sub, front tweeters and front mids. The sub and front mids are the HKs from Jaguar so the only aftermarket bits are the amp and tweeters.

Registered Member
    Member No: 85821 LotusJPS is an unknown quantity at this point LotusJPS's Avatar

Yes | No

Upgrading mine to the HK system ended up costing over twice that, even buying used components. That was for the amp, wiring harnes, the rear inclosures (woofer & mid), door mids, tweaters, and dash mids. The HK amp is an 8 chanel with built in cross over set for the car (the conv and coup amps are different).

You must have gotten a pretty good buy on the amp, the after market amps I was looking at were running $400-500 alone. If I could've found an aftermarket amp that would've mounted in the factory location above the CD changer I probably would've gone that route. So what brand of speaker did you end up going with?

Registered Member

Yes | No

The amp was cheaper (105, $190) as it is simply a mono channel amp (Alpine MRP-M350) which is used to drive the sub only,. I used this as the head-unit has more than enough power to drive the other four pairs of speakers to high volumnes without distortion - also it allows speaker level inputs so makes the wiring a doddle, no extra cabling back to the head-unit.

For the speakers, I kept the four 'basic' speakers in the door and rear (coupe) as they seemed to be of a good standard. The only place I could find the 6.5cm fascia speakers was from Jaguar, same for the 8" sub. The 1cm tweeters are Alpine ones, handily a set appeared on eBay and I got them for 22 - RRP about 50.

Registered Member
    Member No: 148933 tope123 is an unknown quantity at this point tope123's Avatar

Yes | No

Hi All,

I intend to upgrade my Jag XK8 with 1 mono mplifier and 8 inch subwoofer this weekend . I will appreciate if someone can guide me . I am not upgrading the existing speakers as the 2004 XK8 has good speakers but no base

From the central armrest , which cable do i need for the subwoofer and the amplifier to be working . I will appreciate diagrams and any help i can get

Thank you all for your help

Tope

Registered Member
    Member No: 139221 tllama is an unknown quantity at this point tllama's Avatar

Yes | No

Stereo upgrades

Search for Owen's excellent install guides on this matter.

I chose to remove the HK amp on my US convertible after the head unit went bad. Upgraded the speakers and installed 4 channel amp,pioneer ipod interface and head unit. I would rather have the factory head unit, if I can find one that does not cost $800......
    Most shops can get a system in that will blow you away for less than the factory gear.

brakedwell

Yes | No

Re: Stereo upgrades

Tope, all you need is here http://p4-8057.uk2net.com/jag/default.htm

Registered Member
    Member No: 127639 Delboy58 is an unknown quantity at this point Delboy58's Avatar

Yes | No

I upgrade my 98 XKR Standards (4 Speaker) to the premium audio system (9 Speakers)
    After following the post on road fly forum (See below)
    Cost :-
    1 pair of Harmonn Kardon 65mm mid-ranges for the fascia, 20.00 from Just Jaguar UK
    1 pair of Alpine SPS-1005 10mm tweeters for the A-pillar, 20 from eBay (40 RRP)
    1 Triple X 8" subwoofer, 18 ebay
    1 Apline MRP-M350 mono amplifier 46 ebay
    Some speaker cable, insulating tape, power and earth lead for the amp. 10 Local audio shop ..
    Fitting DIY FOC

I've read a few posts from people wanting to upgrade from the base audio to the premium audio system. Well, I've changed the audio on my '99 XKR to match the quality of premium system for a lot less hassle and money. Here's how....

Parts
    -----
    1 pair of Harmonn Kardon 65mm mid-ranges for the fascia, 78 from Jaguar
    1 pair of Alpine SPS-1005 10mm tweeters for the A-pillar, 22 from eBay (40 RRP)
    1 Harmon Kardon 8" subwoofer, 104 from Jaguar
    1 Apline MRP-M350 mono amplifier 105
    Some speaker cable, insuating tape, power and earth lead for the amp. 10

Procedure
    ---------

Quote:

Disconnect the battery before starting.

Install subwoofer, fascia and A-pillar speakers, wire is already there for all of these speakers, although you may have to remove the top corner of the door panel to get at the wire for the a-pillar speakers. The a-pillar speakers will also have to be removed from their plastic grill housing to get them to fit - it comes away easy with a little flat bladed screw-driver.

Install amplifier in car, best place seems to be on top of the metal rack which holds the CD changer. Attach live and earth wires directly to battery, splice remote wire onto remote for electric arial (black and green wire) - these are right beside the amp's location so very handy. Now attach some speaker wire from the amps output terminals to the subs terminals. Then attach the already existing subwoofer cable (tied up just inside the boot roof) to the inputs on the amp - you may have to lengthen the cable a bit.

Now the tricky bit. Remove the centre console lid and cubby liner. Under here are several wires and connectors. Find the one which carries the speaker cables from the head-unit and connects them to the actual speaker wires for the rest of the car. You will notice here that there are a lot of unconnected wires on one half of the connector - these are the wires for the 'premium' speakers which you installed in step one. What you must now do is make these connections by splicing into the wires coming from the head unit and joining them to the appropriate wire on the other side of the connector. You can either do this by bypassing the connector completely or, as I did, taking apart one of the many unused connectors and salvaging the spade connectors for use. A wiring diagram will be very handy here for working out which wire goes where, although you can work it out by looking at which colour wire goes to which terminal at the speakers.

Once you've attached all the correct connections and insulated them properly, re-attach the battery, switch on the stereo and be amazed at the quantum leap in performance!

Registered Member
    Member No: 131725 bullittbob is an unknown quantity at this point bullittbob's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Stereo upgrades

Does anyone have a picture of aftermarket head unit in an XK8?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information