+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 79195 jrmowrey is an unknown quantity at this point jrmowrey's Avatar

Yes | No

1995 525i ignition switch problem?

Anybody had any problems with their ignition switch, a friend of mine has a 95 525i he wnet to start it today and had a little trouble getting the key to go in ,when it did he said he turned like he was going to start it and nothing happened he turned the wheel from side to thought it might be stuck but nothing ,also when you take the key and open the door the dash still thinks the key is in the igniton, not sure how to help him any ideas? I saw one guy said it might work if you lubricate the lock mech, If anybody can give me some help here ,that would be great>>>

Registered Member
    Member No: 100768 Dieppe1942 is an unknown quantity at this point Dieppe1942's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 1995 525i ignition switch problem?

Try dry graphite lubricant in the lock mechanism. Never use a 'wet' lubricant like '3 in 1' of WD40.
    Do the door locks while you are at it. Place a cloth below the opening because the stuff is murder to remove.Shayne
    525iTA

Gordon

Yes | No

The same thing just happened to my wife's 95 5251. Luckily it's in our garage. But I'm away all week on business.
    What was the fix?

carnac

Yes | No

This happened to my 530i and the tumbler was broke in the switch. Very costly as they had to get tumbler from Germany to match keys. Cost me $430.00.

Registered Member
    Member No: 105934 Oberon is an unknown quantity at this point Oberon's Avatar

Yes | No

been there

I had to replace the tumbler and the tumbler housing (steering lock housing). Not cheap.

Bimmer5Michael (here on the forum) had to do the same recently too. The tumbler barrel was so broken up it couldn't be removed - whole housing had to be replaced.

In my case the tumbler could have been removed, *if* the steerling lock hadn't got stuck on - whole housing had to be drilled off and replaced.

I now have a separate key for the ignition to the rest of the car because I couldn't wait 2-3 weeks for a matching tumbler barrel to be shipped from Germany - I took one that was in stock at the dealership, along with the 2 matching keys.

Jerome
    1992 525iA
    Cape Town, South Africa

Registered Member
    Member No: 105934 Oberon is an unknown quantity at this point Oberon's Avatar

Yes | No

doh! this is an ancient thread

Jerome
    1992 525iA
    Cape Town, South Africa

Registered Member
    Member No: 47050 markokamargo is an unknown quantity at this point markokamargo's Avatar

Yes | No

i just had this problem two weeks ago...

but my car's ignition would not go to the "start" position. the trusty shop that i regularly take my cars to (which services a high volume of bmw's almost exclusively) said that it is a common problem. i tried using graphite with no luck. the shop said that it is inevitable and that they see it all the time.

fortunately for me, the shop installed a "loaner" tumbler/ignition key while the correct one from germany arrives. at least now, my girlfriend can use the car while we wait for the tumbler.

by the way, the shop also told me that they reccommed replacing the steering lock at the same time. my grand total was $355 (parts and labor).

marko

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information