+ Reply to Thread
    89325iturbo

Yes | No

O-ringing cost vs need?

I went to the machine shop today, and the machinist said it would cost around $600 dollars to cut the grooves in the block, and head. Now my question is theres other things i could put that $600 dollars to like the ( Haltech E6X ) im getting. So now i don't know if i want to spend that. I plan on running 17-18psi so its probably needed right? Or would a stock gasket hold up with a decked block, head, and with head studs? what would you guys do?

Registered Member
    Member No: 43786 bilodeaulynn is an unknown quantity at this point bilodeaulynn's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: O-ringing cost vs need?

Do you already have the head dissassembled? If so that price is way high. Find another machine shop. As an alternative, ou can still run a factory gasket and "O" ring just the head. I would have both head and block surface cut the absolute minimum before the "O" ring job is done.

The machinist will want the actual head gasket in hand before cutting the groove for the "O" rings.

17 to 18 psi is pshing it (no pun intended) with a composition head gasket, unless you have your static CR down to 8;1. You could still have a lot of fun at 15 psi and have more of a margin for error.

Just my opinion. BTW I keep my 745i at 15 psi even with a copper head gasket, "O" ring in block, receiver groove in head. Just don't have good enough gas here in Oklahoma. I know when I go to Dallas, they have 93 octane at the pump, but I can only get 91 around here.

Lynn

89325iturbo

Yes | No

Re: O-ringing cost vs need?

The head its self is still assembled. I thought the price was high, i would have to lay the wire in the block too.
    Im having JE 8.2:1 compression pistons put in also, that coupled with a thicker stock gasket would probably put me in the 8.1:1 compression ratio or lower.
    I have 94 octane at the pumps around were i live, and a few others with higher.
    Im not worried about detonation, because this time im going to get it tuned with the engine management.
    Your right i could run a couple psi lower, i just want to get around 315-325whp. Who know i might only have to run 15psi to get that. That power with my e30 stripped would be an awesome power to weight ratio

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information