+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    lionofcamelot

Yes | No

The Truth about XK8 major issues..

I first found this board two days after I purchased my 97xk8. I read all about nikasil, tensioners, Jeff Cline's Jaguar nightmare, etc, and I found I had a problem with my car stalling at freeway speed.
    After cleaning the partload breather and throttle body (and I still get the occasional stall), I bought an aftermarket warranty. Then I have proceeded to wait for something major to break. It has now been two months, and do you know what? Nothing has broken yet.

If its not too much to ask...

How about just a short blurb from XK8 owners on what major issues they HAVE had. And lets see if we can get a real perspective on how reliable our cars are.

(Lets consider a major issue anything that cost over $1000 to fix considering most of us have to use a dealer for repair)

lionofcamelot

Yes | No

Don't forget to post if you have had no problems

CrashNash

Yes | No

Re: Don't forget to post if you have had no problems

I have a 98 MY, convertible with 86K miles. I have had no major issues. Normal brake pads, rotors, head light bulbs and 10K services (throttle bottle/ parts breather cleaned on all 10K services). I only change oil every 10K as required because I have an extended warranty (to 100K miles) and only plan on keeping car to 100K miles. So why change more often. If the engine goes, it is covered by warranty as long as I do what is recommended by the service schedule.

I did have the front bearings replaced and convertible top fluid changed-all done on factory or extended warranty. Current condition-runs as good as it did when I got it. I drive my car about 2 days a week to work and every weekend. I live in the D.C. area. so it undergoes all conditions-stop and go during workdays and open it up on the weekend.

Jeff Cline

Yes | No

Nothing broken since August 2003!

Hi Gang,
    Yes my car has had its share of problems, actually my car has probably had my share *and* your share of the problems :-), but at this time it has been running fine. Now please understand that for me this is only 3,500 miles of driving since August as I drive 500 miles a month, but still I'll take 7 months in a row without a problem as a positive change.

Now if I could just locate the source of that clunking noise...

Jeff

Registered Member
    Member No: 102786 mgcanolaw is an unknown quantity at this point mgcanolaw's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: The Truth about XK8 major issues..

Great idea Lion!

I just bought my XK two weeks ago and I'm currently considering whether or not to buy an extended warranty; the responses to your inquiry will greatly impact my decision.

Paul XK8

Yes | No

Feel bad writing this, don't want to raise the gremlins!!
    96 XK8 with 87500miles. One of the first 2000 built.
    Had car for two years and it is without doubt for me the most satisfying car I have driven, and I have driven a few including old and new German and Italian exotica, they don't hold a candle to the carisma, charm, practicality, performance with economy of the Jaguar! Even after 7 years of build it still has WOW factor.
    Problems well yes some,
    1)'Poor performance' on message centre two weeks after purchase, throttle body exchanged under warranty, problem cured.
    2)Nothing further for 14 months until after finding this site a couple of months ago and reading about Nikisil,water pumps, thermostats and tensioners and feeling very smug that I had only had the one problem, I had a water pump impellor disintegrate that seems to have been caused by thermostat failure. Very quick diagnosis thanks to this board and an easy job to D.I.Y, 90mins start to finish for pump and stat. I would recomend anyone with an early car to change at least the thermostat as the stat build is modified to a design less likely to break apart as mine did causing overheating.

Now I feel uneasy rather than smug. Hopefully after awhile I will get my confidence back.

Jeff

Yes | No

'97 XK8 Coupe, 55K have had it for six months, pre purchase inspection revealed front wheel bearings and lower control arm problems. Also did the pads & rotors. No surprises since!

ps2000

Yes | No

98 xk8 27,500 mi. no major probs... knock on woood...

Registered Member
    Member No: 102984 the_cat is an unknown quantity at this point the_cat's Avatar

Yes | No

99 XK8Coupe - 60K miles , ZERO problems. (i did 1 thermostat , time for front brakes soon) most trips 30 miles or more ,, the_cat

William Rowland

Yes | No

Re: Don\'t forget to post if you have had no problems

2002 XK8 10,700 miles - Slow A/C coolant leak. Fixed under warranty at 5,020 mi. Slight squeak rubbing noise on left lower side of driver's seat on rough roads. It comes and goes - dealer will fix if it can be isolated. No other problems. I change my oil every 3,500 mi.

shirokaneman2004

Yes | No

2000 XKR (50,000 Kilometres) No mechanical problems. Used everyday to/from the office. Now and again I can smell what might be coolant vapourising (actually dont know what it is) when the fan is on, but other than that the car is great. Not many of them in Japan (where i live) so it gets alot of attention.

On a separate point one of my front rims has some curbing - does anyone know if one XKR rim can be bought or is it usual only to find sets of 4 for sale.

thanks

Registered Member
    Member No: 103762 vroegindeweyp is an unknown quantity at this point vroegindeweyp's Avatar

Yes | No

99 xk8 conv. 27k miles. Owned 18months. New battery last month, right piston replaced for conv top, leaky old one, fliud refilled. New tire, p zero. No real big issues. Changed oil 3 times since sept 2002. Updating side markers to indicator lights. Ride seems harder relative to when I first purchased. Have only put on 5k miles in 18 months. Use Exxon gas mostly. Will use BP in future. Car orig from LA, purchased from dealer in St Paul, resides in NJ. Called service dept in CA to get history on car. Jag dealer was very helpfu. Car stays out of snow. Biggest complaint is the top has issues ever since I replaced the piston. Sometimes the fluid level is down enough to have to top back up. Seems like air in the system is slowly working through. Squeaky cup holder that broke just by leaning on it too much. Have orig manuals and window sticker. Would I buy again? Probably spend an extra few $$ and go with a year old car with 15k miles and would buy from the local jag dealer. Would really like to see a hard top. Paul V

Ed

Yes | No

97 XK8 Conv. - Purchased July 2003 w/33k (from friend who was original owner, now have 37,500 miles. Car has been in S Cal only.

So far only some routine stuff - Front Bushings, Top Flush & Fill, tires, alignment, new wheels.

I now do my own 10k maintenance with Mobil 1 oil changes every 3k.

Nagging things:

- Tilt wheel sticks
    - Trunk Light does not work (will change micro switch when I get around to it.
    - Tensioners - Planning on doing some time in 2004 as a preventative measure.

PS - I have my original 97 17" wheels for sale still.

Great forum here - thanks

Ed

Jason

Yes | No

www.wheelcollision.com

I have purchased individual wheels from these folks. They do a great job and are very reasonable.

Jason

Yes | No

97 XK8 with 76K miles

I have not had any problems I can really blame Jaguar for. I have replaced the front end parts and still have the clunk. The other small things like top fluid and thermostat, but all in all I would say it has been a very reliable car with few problems. I have had this car for a year and a half, plan on keeping it for many more years.

jnporcello

Yes | No

I haven't had any problems yet -- but I have only owned the car for 2 months and haven't really driven it much. Today is a very big day for me. As I live in Buffalo, NY I decided to save some insurance money and didn't register and insure the car (except for fire & theft) when I bought it in January. That is on my list of things to do today, so I am quite excited. I too found this forum soon after buying the car and have found it a valuable resource. Even as big a pain as it is, how else would you know that the thermostat goes and takes the waterpump with it, or that clunking in the front end is "normal". I look foreward to driving my 98 coupe now, and realize that it will take a little mechanical effort on my part to keep it going. I just hope it isn't too much.

henry

Yes | No

re:nikisil problems in xk8 v8

I have a 99xk8. It has been hard starting and was tested at the dealer for low compression , apparently this can be caused by the failure of the nikisil coating. Mine passed but I am concerned that it may develop. I cant find any published information, although I know this dealer has replaced many engines out of the xj8. Can anyone advise me?thanks

ncekty

Yes | No

I had this problem recently as well. (+)

Smelled coolant whenver the fan was on. It gradually got worse, until I started to see steam coming from under the bonnet. Took it to the shop and had them do a pressure test. Turned out two hose clamps had broken, an easy fix.

ncekty

Yes | No

\'99 coupe, 45K. No major problems.

But then, I've only had it for four months. ::Fingers crossed::

John Millar

Yes | No

Re: re:nikisil problems in xk8 v8

If I recall correctly from previous posts on this board,this issue only affects pre-model year 2000 cars, assembled prior to aug 1999. There is some confusion on the actual date when the Nikasil lined engines ceased production.

If you've had a blowby test carried out by a Jaguar agent, I assume they confirmed that you have a Nikasil engine. If the result was below 20 litres/min the lining is healthy.

The problems with Nikasil failure were greater if the fuel used had high sulphur content. Fuel in the uk in the late 90s was higher in sulphur content than it is today.

It seems that sulphur content alone may not damage the engine, but a combination of this and many short journeys with lack of propper servicing. Also any serious overheating can quickly damage the linings.

If you run a search for "Nikasil" on this board, there are many previous posts on this subject which will give you more information.

John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information